Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Epsom Derby 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
    I've backed Anthony Van Dyke for the Derby. 8/1 (few days back)

I'm anticipating Donnacha gets put on the impressive Chester winner Sir Dragonet and Ryan will be on.

Not a sexy one but just really solid.

Also added Madhmoon 25/1 before the guineas
    Would Moore not choose Broome over him? I’m convinced Broome is their long term main derby horse but Sir Dragonet has pleasantly surprised them.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
      Would Moore not choose Broome over him? I’m convinced Broome is their long term main derby horse but Sir Dragonet has pleasantly surprised them.
      Moore doesn't choose anything but yes, he may get put on Broome.

I think AVD is better than him though, so I went for that (at the prices at the time)

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
        Moore doesn't choose anything but yes, he may get put on Broome.

I think AVD is better than him though, so I went for that (at the prices at the time)
        He doesn’t get the first pick for the big races? That surprises me. I always assumed he is asked who he would ride of the O’Brien battalion and then after he has his choice, Aiden gives his son the next best spot.

Anyway, I’m on Broome and also Bangkok (the latter at some huge prices). I’ll be there on Oaks day as usual (fourth year running for me) and am very keen on Maqsad but have also had to back the Gosden favourite in account of her beating Maqsad at Yarmouth last season. I do think Maqsad is an improved horse though and possibly a bit special.

Comment

I'm anticipating Donnacha gets put on the impressive Chester winner Sir Dragonet and Ryan will be on.

Not a sexy one but just really solid.

I'll be Laying Sir Dragonet if dry on the day, I'll take two things out of his Chester Run any decent draw (Essential epsom) would be lost if taken off his feet once more as at Chester he would be giving the entire field a start and would have to do a Dancing Brave(almost got there)
          The other thing I take is his knee action, looked like he loved the juice in the ground at Chester, ok, not all pronounced actions need it soft but I see enough to want to take it on if it shortens on good ground.

Comment

It would be some performance for Sir Dragonet to win on Good to Firm ground at Epsom, with his rounded action, but he could just be a very special horse. If that is the case then 20/1 for the Arc could look enormous by teatime next Saturday.
            "Journeys to Glory, breathing in his head".

Comment

Is it a bit crazy to think that Line Of Duty might hit the frame at a huge price? He’s over 100s on the exchanges. The Dante was Red hot and with most of the horses finishing in front that day had race fitness on their sides and closers struggling to land a blow. He looks worth a small ew bet as I think he may have just got a bit tired in the last couple of furlongs. Not really sure how his breeders cup form would translate back over here but he had AVD behind him and a few subsequent graded winners including the Preakness winner. James Doyle looked to only use the whip to straighten him up in the Dante and then went very easily after that?

Comment

I think it’s a year to take a punt SA, never known the front 2 in the market having to be supplemented before so clearly they weren’t considered as Derby horses on breeding and given how many Coolmore enter you have to find that staggering alone.
                Why not throw darts at big prices ?

Comment

I’ve just been re-visiting some trends for the race and whilst I know many are not convinced with trends there are two key ones that have to be taken seriously.

Firstly the draw, a double digit draw makes life very difficult, middle is the place to be 3-9 looks ideal in a normal sized field but we’ll have to wait a while until the draw is made.

The second key trend is when horses are foaled.
                  Epsom is a huge stamina test over 12f with the first 5f being still uphill, also a fact that is often unconsidered is that horses have to canter the entire 12f distance in reverse to reach the post, this adds to the emphasis on stamina which can only be evident in older horses so horses foaled in Jan/Feb have a huge advantage over those foaled in April/May, the historic cut off still looks to be 16 April which takes out Norway, Bangkok, Cape of Good Hope and Anthony van Dyke.

I hate the fact connections didn’t consider Telecaster good enough to be entered but I believe history could show the Dante to be a serious renewal and he wasn’t stopping at the line, I have some 7/1 and 13/2 and will look to go in again with enhanced places on Saturday, and I’ll be laying those above on place markets
                  Last edited by Istabraq; 28 May 2019, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                    I’ve just been re-visiting some trends for the race and whilst I know many are not convinced with trends there are two key ones that have to be taken seriously.

Firstly the draw, a double digit draw makes life very difficult, middle is the place to be 3-9 looks ideal in a normal sized field but we’ll have to wait a while until the draw is made.

The second key trend is when horses are foaled.
                    Epsom is a huge stamina test over 12f with the first 5f being still uphill, also a fact that is often unconsidered is that horses have to canter the entire 12f distance in reverse to reach the post, this adds to the emphasis on stamina which can only be evident in older horses so horses foaled in Jan/Feb have a huge advantage over those foaled in April/May, the historic cut off still looks to be 16 April which takes out Norway, Bangkok, Cape of Good Hope and Anthony van Dyke.

I hate the fact connections didn’t consider Telecaster good enough to be entered but I believe history could show the Dante to be a serious renewal and he wasn’t stopping at the line, I have some 7/1 and 13/2 and will look to go in again with enhanced places on Saturday, and I’ll be laying those above on place markets

Interesting stats Istabraq. The canter to the start is something I’ve never even considered. Would you say the same sort of trends would apply for the oaks too? Looking at the month foaled is something I’ve only ever looked at when browsing 2yo racecards

Comment

Very interesting analysis Istabraq. I’ll be keeping an eye out for the draw for the race. I fancy Broome for the Derby and Anapurna for the Oaks, I haven’t seen enough to change my mind but will probably have an e/w bet on Line of Duty and Franklina if and when 1/4 odds become available on B365

Comment

Originally posted by Stormy Antarctic View Post
                        Interesting stats Istabraq. The canter to the start is something I’ve never even considered. Would you say the same sort of trends would apply for the oaks too? Looking at the month foaled is something I’ve only ever looked at when browsing 2yo racecards
                        Very probably SA, I haven't looked into it but it stands to reason that a filly foaled in Feb will be more physically advanced than a fully foaled in May.
                        Flat racing just plugs the gap between Punchestown and October for me though a little knowledge is always welcome and I do find these sorts of trends/stats fascinating....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                          Very probably SA, I haven't looked into it but it stands to reason that a filly foaled in Feb will be more physically advanced than a fully foaled in May.
                          Flat racing just plugs the gap between Punchestown and October for me though a little knowledge is always welcome and I do find these sorts of trends/stats fascinating....
                          Just had a quick browse at the oaks card and the ones that fit the criteria best are Maqsad and tarnawa. Might just be worth throwing a few darts at!

Comment

Maqsad is my main bet in the Oaks, if she stays then I think she'll be very tough to beat. The Pretty Polly is my go to trial for the Oaks and she won that impressively.

I'll also be backing Manuela De Vega 12/1 each way. She was well beaten by the favourite at Chester but that was her first run of the season and I expect her to come on a lot for that. Ralph Beckett has a great record in the race and I just hope the rain stays away.

In the Derby I've got Madhmoon at 40/1 and I'll be backing him again each way on the day. Telecaster impressed me in the Dante and I will add him at best morning prices.

I'll add cross each way doubles on those 4 as well on Friday morning.

Comment

Anyone got a strong opinion as to whether Bangkok will stay the 12F? He has already beat Telecaster over 10F this season but my worry is that he looks to have plenty of pace and may not see out the trip.

Having watched all the trials again tonight I'm tempted to switch from Telecaster to Bangkok and make him my main bet in the process.

*Just read Ista's stats but that alone isn't enough to put me off
                              Last edited by Faugheen_Machine; 29 May 2019, 08:11 PM.

Comment

I'll be in Italy this weekend for the Moto GP at Mugello so will miss the Derby/Oaks! - so I probably don't deserve an opinion BUT I'll give it anyway

Already backed Madhmoon at 25/1 and Anthony Van Dyke at 8/1 both each way for The Derby

Very much in agreement with FM on Telecaster, as long as he's an each way price on the morning (hopefully 4 places) then I'll probably have him as my biggest return.

40/1 Norway and 50/1 Line Of Duty are big prices too IMO....although unlikely having 5 backed is sensible

In the Oaks... I've already backed Frankellina 40/1. Thought she was eye catching but realistically her price now seems short at 16/1 based on what she's actually done so I'm at square one really. Thought Fleeting deserved more than a second glance at 40/1 too but I'll wait for the enhanced places.

Again, agree with FM that Manuela De Vega is a fair each way price... can see me adding that too, but not until the day.

I respected Too Darn Hot too much to go bananas ante post, however having assumed he'd not make it has left me in an alright spot - and The Oaks I respect but couldn't even contemplate backing the fav at the price she is. She can win at that price and I'll stick to the form book.

Comment

Working...
                                X