Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

County Hurdle 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• County Hurdle 2019

Richard Johnson Blog - Western Ryder

“Western Ryder ran his usual decent race in the Champion Hurdle Trial, picking up some more prize money. Haydock is a really sharp track these days, especially with the lack of rain we’ve had this winter. It was a strongly run race and turning in they picked up again.

He’ll be better suited to a slightly stiffer track and I’d have thought the County Hurdle at Cheltenham will be the plan for him. He certainly didn’t disgrace himself at all and a stiffer test will be more up his street.

I hope there’s a nice prize in him this season, but he’s maturing all the time and I’m really looking forward to him over fences next season.“

Nube Negra - County Hurdle
    I was not a fan leading up to last years Fred Winter but he ran a cracker and possibly hit the front too soon. Although it can be difficult for horses coming out of their juvenile season, he ran with promise in the Greatwood but possibly lacked match fitness for such a race. As the season progresses and he gains experience, he could be a player in the County as he seems an out and out 2 miler. Skelton has had recent success in the race too so knows how to get there in top form.

This was my post from earlier in the season on the general thread. Although he’s not been out since, I understand he’s been kept back for the Spring so hopefully we get a good ground festival.

Comment

Ivanovich Gorbatov - County Hurdle 33/1 or 25/1 NRNB

I'm sure a lot of you will be thinking I have gone mad, and indeed for some of you IG may well have been a cliff horse for some time, given his early promise as a juvenile. His decline is worrying, but ultimately he is not void of ability still, as shown in the Galway Hurdle, which has produced numerous winners since, and his neck 2nd the following race. He would be your typical JP 'plot' having sat quiet, losing plenty, waiting for that moment to strike, and his rating of 134 now means he is in dangerous territory of being incredibly well in at some point.

Since the 2 runs mentioned above he has been taking it easy in his races, having gone up a few lb's for the Galway & Killarney runs, he is back down again.

2 seasons ago he finished 6th in this race off 150, finishing ahead of last seasons winner Mohaayed on that occasion, last season he was a fair bit behind off 148, he is now 14lb's lower in Ireland, but coming over here he will likely be given a couple of extra lb's, such is the way the handicapper works for the Irish horses.

I wouldn't like to say he is going to be a 'cert' but having slipped so far down the weights, possibly by design, and his Cheltenham record, prior to last season, he must now be in 'cracking each way' territory, and after having 33/1 winner Mohaayed last season I am ready to have some of the same this time around

Comment

Top of my list for this race is Saldier.

Was going ominously well last time when coming down against Espoir Dallen and although it may have been close, I think he'd have won that day. Espoir Dallen has franked the form in no uncertain style since, and although 152 seems harsh on the face of it, when EA is only rated 147, it might not stop him in this race. The English handicapper might stop this before it even begins, but Arctic Fire did win off 158 the year before last, and if Saldier could get the same mark as his Irish one, he would be of definite interest to me. Currently 20/1 with PP and keeping my powder dry for the time being but think he could be a really improving animal.

Western Ryder would have interested me, but think a mark of 150 is plenty high enough for him.

Comment

Originally posted by Cashew King View Post
          Richard Johnson Blog - Western Ryder

“Western Ryder ran his usual decent race in the Champion Hurdle Trial, picking up some more prize money. Haydock is a really sharp track these days, especially with the lack of rain we’ve had this winter. It was a strongly run race and turning in they picked up again.

He’ll be better suited to a slightly stiffer track and I’d have thought the County Hurdle at Cheltenham will be the plan for him. He certainly didn’t disgrace himself at all and a stiffer test will be more up his street.

I hope there’s a nice prize in him this season, but he’s maturing all the time and I’m really looking forward to him over fences next season.“
          Someone extremely close to the horse I know has a strong view that had he been with a more clued up trainer the horse would have had a couple of runs over 3m this season, emptying 3 out then seeing his rating bomb to 140 and gag up in this.
          The currently strategy is to try the horse in every possible valuable race, run well, pick up nice prize money (that is a key driver for Greatrex) and watch his mark gradually rise...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            Someone extremely close to the horse I know has a strong view that had he been with a more clued up trainer the horse would have had a couple of runs over 3m this season, emptying 3 out then seeing his rating bomb to 140 and gag up in this.
            The currently strategy is to try the horse in every possible valuable race, run well, pick up nice prize money (that is a key driver for Greatrex) and watch his mark gradually rise...
            I'd support that... but I have a significant unexplainable bias against Greatrex anyway

Comment

Update from the much loved Mr Greatrex

Western Ryder – 3rd, Haydock, January 19
              This was below par for him and I was disappointed on the day. He ran okay but we’re going to look at a few things that I need to sort out. He wasn’t moving his best and I am getting his wind checked but we found he’s suffering a bit from ulcers so will have that treated. He's better than that run as he normally hits the line but he didn’t quite do that. I'm willing to put a line through the form and give him a good break now. We’ll throw everything at him and try and get him ready for the County Hurdle at Cheltenham in March. There’s still a chance he could have a big say in a race like that off a mark of 150. It wouldn't be easy, but we know he likes Cheltenham and he's very capable when he's right.

Comment

Originally posted by Cashew King View Post
                Update from the much loved Mr Greatrex

Western Ryder – 3rd, Haydock, January 19
                This was below par for him and I was disappointed on the day. He ran okay but we’re going to look at a few things that I need to sort out. He wasn’t moving his best and I am getting his wind checked but we found he’s suffering a bit from ulcers so will have that treated. He's better than that run as he normally hits the line but he didn’t quite do that. I'm willing to put a line through the form and give him a good break now. We’ll throw everything at him and try and get him ready for the County Hurdle at Cheltenham in March. There’s still a chance he could have a big say in a race like that off a mark of 150. It wouldn't be easy, but we know he likes Cheltenham and he's very capable when he's right.
                So, basically “i’ve cocked this season up. Let’s forget about that. Hopefully we can make amends by winning the County off a big weight.”

Well done, Warren.

Comment

Hi guys new to the site but loving the content. Been looking at the County Hurdle and after his run today I’m likiing the look of WICKLOW BRAVE - once rated 164 after second to Supasundae a while ago and now down to 152 after a decent run behind Espoir D’Allen. Not to sure if his Mark Now.

You only have to look back at Artic Fire 2 years ago think same owner that this looks like a similar plan. And he is currently 20s and I’ve had a bit of that. Did Willie mention him after morn heard anything with regards to targets be interested hear what you Think?

He’s won it in the past couldn’t be going for it again?
                  Last edited by Tigerroll; 27 January 2019, 11:09 PM.

Comment

We seem to share the same fav horse ....least we both have one festival banker!

Was on Arctic Fire....but have lost on WB before....Not sure how well Wicklow Brave gets up the hill?

Originally posted by Tigerroll View Post
                    Hi guys new to the site but loving the content. Been looking at the County Hurdle and after his run today I’m likiing the look of WICKLOW BRAVE - once rated 164 after second to Supasundae a while ago and now down to 152 after a decent run behind Espoir D’Allen. Not to sure if his Mark Now.

You only have to look back at Artic Fire 2 years ago think same owner that this looks like a similar plan. And he is currently 20s and I’ve had a bit of that. Did Willie mention him after morn heard anything with regards to targets be interested hear what you Think?

He’s won it in the past couldn’t be going for it again?
                    Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

Originally posted by TigerRolllllll View Post
                      We seem to share the same fav horse ....least we both have one festival banker!

Was on Arctic Fire....but have lost on WB before....Not sure how well Wicklow Brave gets up the hill?
                      I know what you mean. He’s done it before though. What’s your main fancy for it?

Got to love the Tiger hope he does it for the 4th time. Was at Aintree for his win...had him 50/1 antepost for it . Come on the tiger!

Comment

If Wonder Laish doesn't get declared at Lepo at the weekend (very likely he does I would imagine ) then this will be the one I'll be backing again at all prices NRNB as would surely be short price with Davy onboard sitting in behind waiting to pounce

Comment

Is there still a bonus if you win the Ladbrokes Hurdle then win at Cheltenham or have I imagined that?

Comment

Not done much on County yet....Ballyandy ew @ 33-1 with Sky....need to spend ore time on Irish ones here...had winner last year too....usually back a few in this

Had 40-1 on National win, though was at football that day....and had him all 3 festival wins live....It will be 4

Originally posted by Tigerroll View Post
                            I know what you mean. He’s done it before though. What’s your main fancy for it?

Got to love the Tiger hope he does it for the 4th time. Was at Aintree for his win...had him 50/1 antepost for it . Come on the tiger!
                            Fat Jockey Patron (est. Jan 2021)

Comment

Cracking run by Ivanovich there, should get in County now I reckon so gone back in at 33s with PP 5 places

Comment

Working...
                              X