Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

What not to miss in and around the festival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stormez View Post
    Best advice you’ll get! Nice quiet couple of pints in the Arkle bar before it gets busy is the way to go!
    Amen. Couldn’t have put it better myself

Comment

All good advice. Consider getting the Festival Radio head sets if you're going to spend any time on your own - it's worth listening to. Take a walk around the Shopping Village; there is the occasional gem sprinkled among the tweed and other old fashioned stuff. Watch one race from the Centaur - it has an atmosphere of it's own and worth experiencing at least once.
      If you are going to drive in on Friday then you can pay on the day. However, I would suggest that you leave straight after the Gold Cup because it's going to take 10 minutes to get to your car and that will make it nearer to 3.50. You can always tune into Festival Radio (87.7fm) for the commentary on the Foxhunters (you can get it up to 10 miles away). If you left after the Foxhunters you would be exposed to Friday night traffic on the M5 and, particularly, M42 which would not be good for your nerves. You also need to factor in the 15-20 minutes it takes to return your car and walk to the terminal.
      Last edited by Bayoffreedom; 20 January 2019, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Thanks.

I'd settle for patting Alice Plunkett.

Comment

Driving from Cheltenham to Brum airport at Christmas and with a sudden accident we ended up making our flight by the skin on our chinny chin chin. I'd allow yourself a decent chunk of time tbh

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
            Afraid I'm of no use.

I drink heavily and don't go in club anymore cos you can't get a pint and a piss. It may have improved since they've decorated.

And even though I go down every year for at least the Tuesday, I barely watch a race in the flesh. Just on Telly in Istabraq bar.

I will go and hang around way past the finish line though (where they interview the jockey with a stick before they walk down the path in front of the stands) for first three or four races, and get selfies with the winning horse. If I backed it that is. Sometimes they let you pat them (the horses I mean, not Francesca Cumani)

Then I get taxi back to Birmingham when the pubs in town no longer want my company. Train home next day.

PS, You've no chance with the bands bit. It's Irish Rover or Sweet Caroline only. Maybe a bit of Cotton eye Joe if you're lucky.
            Unless there's an underground Jazz/blues club I'm unaware of on course.
            Thanks.

I'd settle for patting Alice Plunkett.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
              don't forget the Irish rebel-rousing protest songs.
              Nothing like hearing people singing go home British soldiers go on home while in Britain

Comment

Originally posted by Geordieboy83 View Post
                The Chip shop Boys always entertaining.
                Heard that. Thanks. I'm sure I'll see them at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  We definitely have a Mr M already...

As for your plans, I would avoid driving into Cheltenham and parking your car when there'a bus service that links the two, been a long long time since I came in from that direction but from memory it wouldn't have taken more than half an hour.

Watch the races from different points, the tarmac area between the rial and the stands is banked so unless you're 4 ft 3 you get a good view of the track and the screens.
                  Well worth going to the winners enclosure after a race, staying there for the parade of the next race and watching that race on the screen in the ring, then you get prime position for the winners/presentation of that race.

Take a trip into the middle of the course, definitely worth doing for the Cross Country but I often watch other races from there.
                  There's a burger van to grab a cold drink/coffee and chairs to park up if the weather plays nicely.

If you hate Sweet Caroline and Daydream Believer avoid the Best Mate enclosure like the plague.

Enjoy and good luck with Smiling Eliza
                  Eliza had a good run today finished third but was relegated to 4th after a stewards enquiry. She has another entry for the Dublin festival at start of Feb over 2m 2f so wouldn't be surprised to see her there.

Thanks for advice.

Comment

Originally posted by somer1 View Post
                    Ya wallet.There will be a few light fingered people about
                    My wallet is like George Costanzas in Seinfeld. Full of receipts so if anybody tried to take it out of my pocket they'd get me anchored to it.

Thanks for the warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                      I'd recommend getting to the course at 10:30, it gives you an hour or two to have a walk around before it gets too busy.
                      Thanks. Just thinking now I'll only be leaving Birmingham about 9am on the first day of festival so will probably have to head straight there rather than going on to Gloucester and back again as that alone is probably 1.5 hour round trip.

Comment

Originally posted by charlie View Post
                        This is a very good shout. I love just walking around taking it all in. It’s heaven
                        I'll definitely get in early on the Wednesday. Getting there early on Tuesday is probably subject to traffic. Thanks.

Comment

Go every year and had no idea. Cheers
                          Stan James have usually been on the side past the the Quevga bar(one year they had a promotion with 30-40 ‘promoters’ walking round where if you liked them on Facebook you’d get a free pint. Just went from one group to the next unliking them after each turn...didn’t buy a drink all day!)

Betway have had things by the Guinness village.

It can be hit and miss but bit of fun when you first get there

Comment

The other benefit of getting there early if you haven't been before is working out where everything is.
                            Yes that will help me get my bearings. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                              Depending on the day the bookie that is sponsoring the main race usually has a tent where you can win offers, I’ve won free tickets to the snooker, chester races, free beers etc. By playing games etc.

Good way to pass a few minutes!
                              Good shout. Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by FaugheenTheMachine View Post
                                If it’s your first time I’d get there for about 11 and have a good walk round whilst it’s a bit quieter. Loads more room in club these days since the new Grandstand was sorted, my favourite viewing place now is to go up the stairs across from the parade ring and through the walk way (there’s a tote stand in the corner) and then stand at the top of the stand. Means you can quickly get back to the parade ring to welcome back any winners. If your driving rather than drinking you might as well drive to the rugby club near course, parking is reasonable and you can get a breakfast rather than pay a fortune for food on course
                                Thanks. I'll check that route out.

Comment

Working...
                                X