Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

What not to miss in and around the festival?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
    Visit the Hall of Fame too, some great history there...
    Will definitely do that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormez View Post
      Best advice you’ll get! Nice quiet couple of pints in the Arkle bar before it gets busy is the way to go!
      Did I read somewhere that Nicky Henderson always stands somewhere near the Arkle to watch the races?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr McGoldrick View Post
        Did I read somewhere that Nicky Henderson always stands somewhere near the Arkle to watch the races?
        Doubt it, not a great place to view the racing from. Just a great little old school bar with loads of history in it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayoffreedom View Post
          All good advice. Consider getting the Festival Radio head sets if you're going to spend any time on your own - it's worth listening to. Take a walk around the Shopping Village; there is the occasional gem sprinkled among the tweed and other old fashioned stuff. Watch one race from the Centaur - it has an atmosphere of it's own and worth experiencing at least once.
          If you are going to drive in on Friday then you can pay on the day. However, I would suggest that you leave straight after the Gold Cup because it's going to take 10 minutes to get to your car and that will make it nearer to 3.50. You can always tune into Festival Radio (87.7fm) for the commentary on the Foxhunters (you can get it up to 10 miles away). If you left after the Foxhunters you would be exposed to Friday night traffic on the M5 and, particularly, M42 which would not be good for your nerves. You also need to factor in the 15-20 minutes it takes to return your car and walk to the terminal.
          Sound advice. I'll leave after the Gold Cup.

Wasn't aware of the centaur. Will have to sample that. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
            Driving from Cheltenham to Brum airport at Christmas and with a sudden accident we ended up making our flight by the skin on our chinny chin chin. I'd allow yourself a decent chunk of time tbh
            Yeah it's probably going to be extra busy with the festival traffic so won't risk staying for Foxhunters. Cheers.

Comment

Any good pub grub that also shows champions league football?

Comment

Make sure you sample the hog roast roll in the Guinness Village. Lovely as it comes with crackling as well.

So many places to have a look in and sample the atmosphere. I try and watch the races from different points during the day. It is good to go close to the rail for one race then maybe the top of the stands for the next. Centaur bar good for a sit down when your feet hurt!! Big screen in there to watch the race as well.

Comment

Thanks again for all the advice. Wish I'd re-read the one about parking at the nearby rugby club!

Four days of extraordinary, it certainly was. Absolutely loved it.

I write an unofficial Gordon Elliott Racing Club blog which I expanded out to cover my Cheltenham experience.

Please give it a read and leave a comment if you're compelled to do so. The most recent post is at the top of each older post but just scroll down.

Day 1
                  https://herecomessmilingeliza.blogsp...by-novice.html

Day 2
                  https://herecomessmilingeliza.blogsp...novice_13.html

Day 3
                  https://herecomessmilingeliza.blogsp...novice_14.html

Day 4
                  https://herecomessmilingeliza.blogsp...novice_15.html

A few pointers
                  https://herecomessmilingeliza.blogsp...novice_18.html

Comment

Great read mate, I don’t think we are a million miles away from the Tuesday selling out after another year of record crowds. I agree on going down the day before, we’ve always done this even if lads have to work Monday (this year we didn’t get down till around half 9 on the Monday night) just saves messing about on the morning of the races

Comment

For future reference, if you are there on Monday and looking at filling some time then head to the course, pretty much unrestricted access and the place is a buzz with horses arriving, good chance to get up close

Comment

For future reference, if you are there on Monday and looking at filling some time then head to the course, pretty much unrestricted access and the place is a buzz with horses arriving, good chance to get up close
                        I might try that next year. We are always at a loose end on the Monday and it'll keep us out of the pub.

This year was the best trip I've had at Cheltenham. Had a good craic with Kevin Blake on the Wednesday, met some old faces at the races and my mate managed to talk us into a level 5 box on day one - what a view!

Already planning to stay for the week next year, although I doubt our last trip will be beaten.

Comment

Are you able to walk the course? Seems incredible that they allow such access - will definitely try and do that. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Vautour View Post
                            Are you able to walk the course? Seems incredible that they allow such access - will definitely try and do that. Thanks
                            No, you need permission to walk the course and that's only given to connections of runners

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                              Already planning to stay for the week next year, although I doubt our last trip will be beaten.
                              We're booked already and tickets bought.

Reminder for everyone that discounted tickets are available until 5th July, £72 Club, apologies I didn't check Tatts/Best Mate.
                              The fact they've increased prices by £2 suggests that on the day prices will be £95 (Club)

Comment

Working...
                              X