Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Going 2019 & Ante-post bets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Going 2019 & Ante-post bets

Hi All,

With all the snow last year the going changed a lot of my Anti post bet from have a good chance to having no chance, this year I am holding off a little backing horses that like Good and Good/Soft ground antipost.

I do not back more than one horse in each race even with nrnb because I normally bet 5 to 10 points per race and would not like too tie up that kind of money for a few months..

Will anyone else being holding back because of last year, knowing that snow could blanket the uk again for many weeks or do you back horses regardless of the going?
    Last edited by Old Vic; 14 January 2019, 09:14 AM.

Funny you mention this SBA, I was thinking about the ground earlier today.

I'll probably wait until the day for any horses I feel would prefer soft/heavy ground, I've based all of my ante post bets around Good - Good/Soft ground and have the opportunity to cash out accordingly.

It hasn't stopped me backing anything I normally would, even after last years ground, just fingers crossed we get better ground this time around.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirbetalot View Post
      Hi All,

With all the snow last year the going changed a lot of my Anti post bet from have a good chance to having no chance, this year I am holding off a little backing horses that like Good and Good/Soft ground antipost.

I do not back more than one horse in each race even with nrnb because I normally bet 5 to 10 points per race and would not like too tie up that kind of money for a few months..

Will anyone else being holding back because of last year, knowing that snow could blanket the uk again for many weeks or do you back horses regardless of the going?
      Iv backed with gd to soft in mind.
      I'd be in trouble especially on the 1st day if it wasn't. With the likes of le richebourg and sharjah.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Ive been talking about this with friends for a while Sirbetalot. I really think that we will see more and more soft ground Festivals. The days of walking to the festival with spring in the air seem to have disappeared. Wintry and cold is the new norm imo and the seasons seem to be pushing back.

In some ways it should make it easier from a form perspective to have similar ground throughout the winter and maintain it at Cheltenham (not this year necessarily as we could find ourselves in the bizarre position of Cheltenham being softer than most of the season!)

But Im definitely looking at less good ground horses than i used to. It was almost a prerequisite for my antepost staking in years gone by.

Comment

I haven't actually placed a bet thinking about the ground at all. Lazy punting assuming Good to Soft!

Comment

Thanks,

I have had a few anti post so far over Christmas but the ground was good, so I am hoping it will be good or G/S come March, but like I said I normally do one horse per race.. bit old school and the exchange & online betting is for you young guns..

Last year I bet on around 20 horses at good prices running up to March and most ran but with all that snow and the ground change most of my bets was doomed before the flag went down bar Samcro..

So is anti post dead for old gits like me or should I bet two in each race, half my stake & do soft going horses and good going ones?

Comment

Thanks,

I have had a few anti post so far over Christmas but the ground was good, so I am hoping it will be good or G/S come March, but like I said I normally do one horse per race.. bit old school and the exchange & online betting is for you young guns..

Last year I bet on around 20 horses at good prices running up to March and most ran but with all that snow and the ground change most of my bets was doomed before the flag went down bar Samcro..

So is anti post dead for old gits like me or should I bet two in each race, half my stake & do soft going horses and good going ones?
              Get a Bet365 account and cashout when you want

Comment

Been there, seen it and done it... why do you think my user name is Sirbetalot.. I prefer betting with hard cash not with cards and this way I also save my marriage ...
                Last edited by Sirbetalot; 13 January 2019, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks,

In my ever so humble...

Backing half stakes on one horse that likes good and one that likes soft is just giving half your money away. I'd wait until the day if I wasn't interested in bigger prices online and the fluidity.

People have shown on here they can make money with multiples 'on the day', so while I don't agree in general that "ante-post punting is dead", its not for everybody

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    In my ever so humble...

As always

Backing half stakes on one horse that likes good and one that likes soft is just giving half your money away. I'd wait until the day if I wasn't interested in bigger prices online and the fluidity.

Agree it would kill me to give half my money away before I even got a run..

People have shown on here they can make money with multiples 'on the day', so while I don't agree in general that "ante-post punting is dead", its not for everybody
                    Also slightly agree, but if I just bet on the day I would lose some value, example 7/1 Samcro last year, so far this year AB 10/1 BoD ballymore 12/1, even us oldies like a price

Think I will become a weather analyst and predict the weather in advance, just like michael fish. What could go wrong!!..

Comment

Tony Keenan touches on this:
                      Tony rounds up the early Flat action in Ireland from both ends of the class scale, including some interesting Guineas Trials.

I'd just add that Trials Day may be informative in terms of ground and that the recent report on last year's fatalities will almost certainly mean that they'll be aiming at softer ground than in previous years.

Comment

I'd say ante post, I'm looking for bigger price than SP on my fancy for the race.

The average SP at the festival this year was over 10/1, including 6 winners at 20s or bigger. If you have a ground fancy, back it on the day/s, there's still plenty of value

Comment

Whilst the bad weather will no doubt arrive at some time, I'm with archie's thoughts that following last years fatalities, and the high profile action of the Rooneys, that there will be a conscious effort to have the first day's going as soft, then let nature take its course. A lot of the winter form on better ground will prove meaningless.

Comment

Can't envisage them aiming for soft. Good to soft safe jumping ground.

Comment

BBB another that benefited from soft. Hated the ground this season.

Comment

Working...
                              X