Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Martin Pipe Handicap Hurdle 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was looking forward to this...……

and I wasn't disappointed, well done again fella.

Got a few of them noted down so good to see you have a few on your list also. I am very interested in where Dorrels rocks up and if it is here then I will be throwing a few sheckles on him to win.

Comment

Is Kapcorse eligible ?

Comment

I've backed CoF for this, but I will also be keeping my eye on Getareason for Willie. By Getaway who is doing so well this season, he seems to be improving all the time and despite being placed in a Grade 2 and a Grade 1 he has a lovely looking mark of 136.

Comment

Some very good points raised about the importance of jockey bookings in this race and this is backed up by the stats (thanks again Gaultstats) which identify the prevalence of jockeys who have ridden more than 20 winners.

My understanding of the rules, though I stand to be corrected, is that jockeys must be under 26 years old and have ridden no more than 75 winners. There must be a cut-off date for this criteria but I can’t find any reference to it anywhere. That would be really useful information as it’s relevant to some of my ramblings here…

The obvious place to start is Donagh Meyler (whose record reads 6th-3rd-1st) and JJ Slevin (1st-3rd) – however, my understanding of the rules is that neither of them qualify this year having passed the 75 winners mark. DM sits on 73 in Ireland but he also has 4 in GB and I am, rightly or wrongly, assuming that those number will be combined. If either of these qualify then they are the big names to watch out for. Interestingly Donagh Meyler rode Monbeg Worldwide for Gordon over Christmas.

Staying with Ireland I’d pick out the following:

Donal McInerney – 50 winners, 17 of which are this season seeing him lead the Irish conditionals title. He was 4th on Sire Du Berlais for Gordon and JP last year. Looks sure to be on a good one.
          Dylan Robinson – 40 career winners and lies 2nd in the championship this season. He was 2nd last year on Discorama. Rides principally for Henry De Bromhead who isn’t a trainer I associate with this race so he might be a nice available one to be snapped up by Gordon/Willie.
          Adam Short – 40 career wins, 29 in Ireland and 11 in the UK. He was on the 9/2F Battleford in 2017 for Willie but didn’t ride in the race last year. Rides a bit for Noel Meade.
          Conor Orr – Only has 15 wins in Ireland but they’ve all come this season and he has 7 GB wins to his name meaning he hits 20+ winners criteria. Has had a winner for Gordon already this season and wouldn’t surprise to see him on one of the decent ones in this.

Turning attention to the UK and again there are 2 obvious starting points being James Bowen and Bryony Frost. However, again I stand to be corrected, but having both passed the 75 winner mark, I don’t believe they will qualify. As with Donagh and JJ above, if either of these 2 qualify then clearly their booking will very much be of interest.

Of the others:

Ross Chapman – is in tremendous form but that means he too has hit the 75 winner mark (only last weekend in fact!). If he qualifies he should be in line for a good ride.
          Charlie Hammond – 31 winners, including 21 this season. Has been used by the Pipes who like to target one here (albeit with abysmal success).
          Rex Dingle – 21 winners from just 102 rides this season. That's a cracking strike rate.
          Lorcan Williams – 26 winners, including 12 this season and will surely be used by Nicholls in this (who has a decent record in the race).
          Ned Curtis – Only has 18 winners to his name but is used by Nicky and has been 5th-6th the last 2 years

I’d be keen to hear from others who might follow conditional jockeys more closely than I do. And if anyone knows more detail on the qualifying criteria that would be helpful too!

Comment

I have some recollection that if you were conditional at the start of the GB season then you are an eligible rider.

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
              I've backed CoF for this, but I will also be keeping my eye on Getareason for Willie. By Getaway who is doing so well this season, he seems to be improving all the time and despite being placed in a Grade 2 and a Grade 1 he has a lovely looking mark of 136.
              Good shout on both

Comment

Getareason 136 but a horse that beat him 14l is on 135.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                  And she should go for the bartlett, with her allowance.

Comment

True. RdC was getting 7lb that day to be fair though archie.

Comment

Alternatively they may be targeting this race and applying a gentle handbrake. Previous winners have been beaten on their way to winning this race by, what at the time appeared to be, lesser horses.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                        Alternatively they may be targeting this race and applying a gentle handbrake. Previous winners have been beaten on their way to winning this race by, what at the time appeared to be, lesser horses.
                        Very true Jackie... betting suggested it was RdC's day that day

Comment

She'd be competitive in a handicap off that mark no doubt, depending what UK handicapper did.
                          think 135 bot low to get in most years, last year was different cos of ground, normally need to be nearer 140.
                          But archie has given us the nod so I'll cover her for this NRNB at some stage.

Comment

I haven't given anyone the nod other than my own opinion that she's too low. She's entered in the DRF G1 2m6f novice so the AB is still in their thoughts. I also have 2 or 3 others for the handicap hurdles.

Comment

I haven't given anyone the nod other than my own opinion that she's too low. She's entered in the DRF G1 2m6f novice so the AB is still in their thoughts. I also have 2 or 3 others for the handicap hurdles.
                              Yep, I was joking,
                              but that's how rumours start,
                              so I retract my previous comments, and apologise.

50-1 Bartlett with PP and on good /goodtosoft ground she's a real player

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                                Yep, I was joking,
                                but that's how rumours start,
                                so I retract my previous comments, and apologise.

50-1 Bartlett with PP and on good /goodtosoft ground she's a real player
                                Cheers. No need to apologise because she could go anywhere or nowhere. I'm in a situation where I could have anything between zero and five runners on the Friday and if I don't know, I'd hate for anyone to be shelling out on any race without NRNB.

Comment

Working...
                                X