Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

The best Each Way Double is...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best Each Way Double is...

Innoko reminded me earlier about a bet I placed last year, it was Buveur D'air / Apple's Jade in a "scumbag" each way double.... obviously Apple's Jade didn't win (wounded), but the bet did land for a small profit, and I would place that bet again without hesitation as I thought it was bombproof (albeit it was NRNB).

People will have very different views on what the "best" each way double would be at this stage of the season. No doubt mine would chance depending on what time of year it was too... but let's open up some discussion and ideas on a decent bet we could all see placing at the very least?

Things to consider are (in no order)
    Target being 100%
    Price (minimum of 4/1)
    Injury proneness (Do they have a poor history?)
    Trainer
    Jockey
    Course record
    Festival record
    Likely number of runners in the race
    Potential to shorten
    Loads of other stuff...

Probably too early to really get stuck in, but my early thoughts are:

43/1 (WH)

Penhill 7/1
    Presenting Percy 5/1 (9/2 in the double)

Penhill hasn't been mentioned for a little while, and probably won't for a while longer, as he is only going to have a max 1 run before Cheltenham (if at all).... but he's won the Albert Bartlett, then the Stayers and multiple horses have won multiple Stayers Hurdles in recent years (implying it's never a deep division with a lot of new competition). It's been argued neither of his festival wins were a true test of stamina, but I'd counter that - 1. There is no proof it would be again a 3rd time, and 2. He may well be just as good off a strong gallop! I think he's absolutely rock solid at 7/1. When you compare his price as a duel fesitval winner to a horse like Lalor, Santini, Native River it's crazy really)

Presenting Percy won the RSA with such authority that I haven't seen anyone knock him since. He is a two time festival winner, will have the superb Davy Russell on board and has shown he acts on any ground. Last year's Gold Cup became a two horse race, so you could arguably rule out anything other than Might Bite and NAtive River from last year, and Might Bite is on a huge recovery mission now. Native River is not good enough to be a 2-time Gold Cup winner, even if it was the same ground. I know that isn't a strong case against, but come on... Native River who couldn't beat Minella Rocco over 4 miles? A two-time Gold Cup winner? No chance.

Penhill and Presenting Percy or P,PP as I'll refer to them as from now on both have incredible win chances, and I expect both to have a say in March. (2x Dual festival winners, targets guarenteed, 'THE' best jockey available (Ruby over hurdles, Davy of Fences), no ground concerns, no serious rivals from the novice ranks.

I had 1.5 pts ew at 69/1 back in August but 43/1 is more than fair...

Tiger Roll & Presenting Percy at 23/1 is a decent double i think

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
      Tiger Roll & Presenting Percy at 23/1 is a decent double i think
      Can see Tiger Roll making a few people's selections. 7/2 but 1/5 the odds with two bookies and a general 3/1, may be a little tight? No chance you could pick 3 to beat him all things equal on the day though!

Comment

Il happily do EW doubles nearer the time when NRNB kicks in but at this stage of the season I’d be wanting a price. I have explained my thoughts re BBB in the NHC thread, yesterday’s performance reaffirmed those. We haven’t seen Willies arkle hand yet so CE is more speculative:

Blow By Blow @ 20/1 in the 4 miler.
        Cilaos Emery @ 20/1 in the arkle

BBB ticks pretty much every box on the ‘things to consider’ list. I’d swap CE out for RTR in the Gold Cup @ 12/1 as he also meets plenty of that criteria and is far less risky, but a double figure price

Comment

I'll go a bit more exotic with a big wednesday double

White Moon RSA 40/1
          Sceau Royal QM 12/1

532/1

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
            Innoko reminded me earlier about a bet I placed last year, it was Buveur D'air / Apple's Jade in a "scumbag" each way double.... obviously Apple's Jade didn't win (wounded), but the bet did land for a small profit, and I would place that bet again without hesitation as I thought it was bombproof (albeit it was NRNB).

People will have very different views on what the "best" each way double would be at this stage of the season. No doubt mine would chance depending on what time of year it was too... but let's open up some discussion and ideas on a decent bet we could all see placing at the very least?

Things to consider are (in no order)
            Target being 100%
            Price (minimum of 4/1)
            Injury proneness (Do they have a poor history?)
            Trainer
            Jockey
            Course record
            Festival record
            Likely number of runners in the race
            Potential to shorten
            Loads of other stuff...

Probably too early to really get stuck in, but my early thoughts are:

43/1 (WH)

Penhill 7/1
            Presenting Percy 5/1 (9/2 in the double)

Penhill hasn't been mentioned for a little while, and probably won't for a while longer, as he is only going to have a max 1 run before Cheltenham (if at all).... but he's won the Albert Bartlett, then the Stayers and multiple horses have won multiple Stayers Hurdles in recent years (implying it's never a deep division with a lot of new competition). It's been argued neither of his festival wins were a true test of stamina, but I'd counter that - 1. There is no proof it would be again a 3rd time, and 2. He may well be just as good off a strong gallop! I think he's absolutely rock solid at 7/1. When you compare his price as a duel fesitval winner to a horse like Lalor, Santini, Native River it's crazy really)

Presenting Percy won the RSA with such authority that I haven't seen anyone knock him since. He is a two time festival winner, will have the superb Davy Russell on board and has shown he acts on any ground. Last year's Gold Cup became a two horse race, so you could arguably rule out anything other than Might Bite and NAtive River from last year, and Might Bite is on a huge recovery mission now. Native River is not good enough to be a 2-time Gold Cup winner, even if it was the same ground. I know that isn't a strong case against, but come on... Native River who couldn't beat Minella Rocco over 4 miles? A two-time Gold Cup winner? No chance.

Penhill and Presenting Percy or P,PP as I'll refer to them as from now on both have incredible win chances, and I expect both to have a say in March. (2x Dual festival winners, targets guarenteed, 'THE' best jockey available (Ruby over hurdles, Davy of Fences), no ground concerns, no serious rivals from the novice ranks.

I had 1.5 pts ew at 69/1 back in August but 43/1 is more than fair...
            I'd be concerned Penhill fits your injury proneness criteria - clearly a fragile horse. One for NRNB though for sure.

Comment

I have actually chanced a couple of each way doubles already.

One is Quick Grabim (33s for Supreme) and Rathvinden (33s for the National). Big risk but it was a free bet.

My other is Vinndication (33s for JLT) and Willoughby Court (33s for Ryanair). Again only a small bet

Bit I will be looking at shorter ones once the NRNB comes in, or maybe even some cross doubles like Lalor/Mengli Khan (Arkle) with something else like PP perhaps.

Comment

Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
                I have actually chanced a couple of each way doubles already.

One is Quick Grabim (33s for Supreme) and Rathvinden (33s for the National). Big risk but it was a free bet.

My other is Vinndication (33s for JLT) and Willoughby Court (33s for Ryanair). Again only a small bet

Bit I will be looking at shorter ones once the NRNB comes in, or maybe even some cross doubles like Lalor/Mengli Khan (Arkle) with something else like PP perhaps.
                Also done this myself.

Comment

My way 50/1 ballymore.
                  Adjali triumph. 25/1
                  Cilaos emery arkle 20/1
                  Shadow rider bumper 33/1
                  Alboum photo gold cup 33s
                  Cracking smart stayers 33s
                  Top notch Ryanair 25/1

Easy game
                  Last edited by Scooby91; 3 December 2018, 09:47 PM.
                  https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                  Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Why such confidence behind My Way scooby? Form of his sole run looks pretty poor?

Sorry realised I was looking at the wrong My Way
                    Last edited by Can't Catch Me; 4 December 2018, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                      Why such confidence behind My Way scooby? Form of his sole run looks pretty poor?

Sorry realised I was looking at the wrong My Way
                      Deffinately looking at the wrong MY way.

I did the same whem looking through fusil raffles form almost got an almighty shock.
                      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Working...
                      X