Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Handicap Shortlists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post
    As someone who doesn't currently have a runner in the Coral Cup (assuming The Storyteller doesn't come here) will be delighted if Vision Des Flos rocks up here as had a decent Any race bet earlier in the season, sounds like there is a reasonable chance he will based on this Tizzard quote:

“He stayed on well there. He travelled really well. He is in the Champion Hurdle and the Coral Cup, and on that running I’d say he would go for the handicap. You never know, if there is not many in the Champion Hurdle we might go there yet.”
    Do the right thing Colin. Resurrect our Any race bets haha.

No chance in a CH

Comment

• Originally posted by Rhinestone_Cowboy View Post
      As someone who doesn't currently have a runner in the Coral Cup (assuming The Storyteller doesn't come here) will be delighted if Vision Des Flos rocks up here as had a decent Any race bet earlier in the season, sounds like there is a reasonable chance he will based on this Tizzard quote:

“He stayed on well there. He travelled really well. He is in the Champion Hurdle and the Coral Cup, and on that running I’d say he would go for the handicap. You never know, if there is not many in the Champion Hurdle we might go there yet.”
      This would be fantastic. He was one of my first 'any race' bets for the festival. I also made a case for him for the Coral Cup in the Handicap thread, so am over the moon he's actually thinking about it. Would be fantastic, as also added him for the race 25/1 NRNB too.

Comment

• I’d also fancy VDF for the coral cup after today’s performance, but he’s obviously going to go up again so it’ll have to be an impressive weight carrying performance to win it. He’d be near top weight surely?

Comment

• Backed Tully East LTO and it screamed plot to me.

He was mentioned on the Friday Club on RTV, but Noel Hayes with that stupid tache said he wouldn't get in off 133. No he might not but off 135 he should!

Wherever he goes he's interesting with the course back form.

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
            Backed Tully East LTO and it screamed plot to me.

He was mentioned on the Friday Club on RTV, but Noel Hayes with that stupid tache said he wouldn't get in off 133. No he might not but off 135 he should!

Wherever he goes he's interesting with the course back form.
            ....20-1 (22-1 with price boost) in the ‘any race’ market.
            Last edited by Eggs; 25 February 2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eggs View Post
              ....Oddschecker have it as 20-1 to win any race.
              I think i'd take the 33s with Willhill for both before that! Or even the Unibet 50s if oddschecker is accurate for the CC.

3 runs at course all over 2.4 1/2.

6th, soft ground probably not ideal off 148 as well. RPR 147
              1st, off 138. RPR 149
              4th, off 140. RPR 140.

Just to confirm though, Hayes commented on the mark being too low, even when he was inaccurate about the actual mark. He's off 146 over fences and 135 over hurdles.

Another The Storyteller grey area?

I was keen off his current mark, but will they take the chase mark into consideration and possibly bump him up to low 140s?
              Last edited by jack1092; 25 February 2019, 07:23 AM.

Comment

• He's been running over hurdles hasn't he.

My understanding was they'd only use the chase ratings I'd they haven't been over hurdles?

Comment

• Kev the response from the BHA doesn't make it 100% clear to me.

First para- no mark, will make a mark once entered. Though 2nd para, they keep marks, so surely couldn't have him near his chase mark on recent runs.Third para, leaves it open to bumping him up if they wish.

Basically i was presuming he'd be about 137/138....though on this, possible he is more like 141,142?

As this horse is Irish trained we don’t have any published marks for him at present. We only give marks to Irish horses when they are entered for a race over here or connections inquire as to what their mark would be in GB.

We keep our own ratings for all Irish jumps races. Therefore, when an Irish-trained horse is entered for a race over here, we use our own ratings to formulate a handicap mark for the horse in question rather than rely on the Irish handicap mark.

Regarding hurdle/chase ratings, we can (and do) take account of form shown in the alternate code when assessing a horse. So a horse’s hurdle mark could move up or down depending on how it gets on over fences, and vice versa.

Comment

• Coral Cup - Tin Soldier - 40/1 NRNB (SkyBet) - Added

His only entry now that he failed to make it into the Pertemps after finishing down the field (by a long way) in the qualifier last week @ Punchestown.

Trained by a man who knows a thing or two about getting a handicap runner ready for a race at the festival, and will likely also have one of the most prolific festival handicap jockeys aboard IF The Storyteller (backed this one too) doesn't come here, in Davy Russell.

The horse itself ran in the Coral Cup in 2017, finishing just 6 3/4 lengths away in 8th (never on terms), behind Supasundae, unfortunately since then it has been a slow burner for him, having one or two issues which meant just the 2 runs prior to this season, after that race.

On the face of it you could easily argue a 106 length defeat on his reappearance as being incredibly poor, but he didn't travel all too badly IF you can take into account the 450+ days he had been off the track and having to carry 11st 10lbs around, giving lumps of weight to everything else. If any trainer is capable of having him ready for the race it is Pat Kelly, and 40/1 was/is too big for me not to get involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
                      Coral Cup - Tin Soldier - 40/1 NRNB (SkyBet) - Added

His only entry now that he failed to make it into the Pertemps after finishing down the field (by a long way) in the qualifier last week @ Punchestown.

Trained by a man who knows a thing or two about getting a handicap runner ready for a race at the festival, and will likely also have one of the most prolific festival handicap jockeys aboard IF The Storyteller (backed this one too) doesn't come here, in Davy Russell.

The horse itself ran in the Coral Cup in 2017, finishing just 6 3/4 lengths away in 8th (never on terms), behind Supasundae, unfortunately since then it has been a slow burner for him, having one or two issues which meant just the 2 runs prior to this season, after that race.

On the face of it you could easily argue a 106 length defeat on his reappearance as being incredibly poor, but he didn't travel all too badly IF you can take into account the 450+ days he had been off the track and having to carry 11st 10lbs around, giving lumps of weight to everything else. If any trainer is capable of having him ready for the race it is Pat Kelly, and 40/1 was/is too big for me not to get involved.
                      Yeah interesting case CoD.

Has a 3rd in a G1 beaten only 2.75L by Champange Classic in the form book as well so you can assume if he did get back to his best he'd have a race like the Coral Cup in him

Bit of an if, obviously, but 40/1 is not a short price... I may well pay to find out too!

Comment

• With the weights out Wed do they get released at a specified time? also when is the next scratching stage for them?

Comment

• Found these Handicap stat's written down - may be useful .
                          Handicap hurdlers off more than 104 day's - 0/ 105.
                          P. Hobbs runners , outside top 3 l.t.o - 0/ 84.
                          Handicap chases - OR 151 + - 0/ 75.
                          Handicap chasers - 23/ 75 Won l.t.out.
                          Handicap hurdlers Fell l.t.out - all beaten.
                          Handicap chasers - Ditto.
                          Riders claiming 6lb's or more - 0/ 90.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                            Found these Handicap stat's written down - may be useful .
                            Un temp won off 155

Comment

• Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                              Found these Handicap stat's written down - may be useful .
                              From memory Arctic Fire was off for 14 months

Comment

• Originally posted by Folski View Post
                                Un temp won off 155
                                First one that sprung to mind for me too.

Comment

Working...
                                X