Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Handicap Shortlists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Handicap Shortlists

A place to note down any handicap plots that you spot during the season. Any nomination has to have more substance than ‘owned by JP McManus’.

Talkischeap - Ultima Handicap (3m)
    Highly tried on debut and similarly on his upcoming second start which is also over an inadequate trip. Jumped well on debut and they could be getting him beaten in better company to preserve his mark for a while. Alan King has tended to aim one at the Ultima every season and this could be the one this year. Novices also have a good record in the race and 3 miles should be perfect.

Comment

Nube Negra - County Hurdle
      I was not a fan leading up to last years Fred Winter but he ran a cracker and possibly hit the front too soon. Although it can be difficult for horses coming out of their juvenile season, he ran with promise in the Greatwood but possibly lacked match fitness for such a race. As the season progresses and he gains experience, he could be a player in the County as he seems an out and out 2 miler. Skelton has had recent success in the race too so knows how to get there in top form.

Comment

Barra
        Don't know where she will be aimed yet but solid Cheltenham form. 2nd to Let's Dance in the Mares' Novices' Hurdle and 3rd in the Coral Cup this year. Made a winning start over fences at Kilbeggan where she jumped really well beating Clara Sorrento 24 lengths who has since come out and won a beginners chase and was then 2nd to Winter Escape in a Grade 3 novice chase at Cork. The hustle and bustle of a Cheltenham handicap won't phase Barra one bit, and I think she'll find improvement going over fences and in being stepped up in trip. I like everything about this mare. Cheltenham experience, breeding, connections, jumping ability. Think she will be under the radar so i'l be keeping a close eye out for when handicap markets open.

Comment

Barney Dwan for the Ultima. I'll come back later to update this and give reasoning.

Comment

Felix Desjy Martin Pipe. Cheltenham Bumper 6th. Impressive debut in Galway followed by 2 seemingly below par runs. Current RPR 132. May need to show some improvement to get in the race.
            Trainer: Elliot had winner in 1st and 3rd in 2017. Will have best conditionals available to him.
            Gigginstown: Winner in 2017. No runner 2016. Third 2015. Winner 2014. 4/12/BD in 2013. 2/4 in 2012. Winner 2011. For an outfit that run their horses on their merits they manage to get some well handicapped.
            Last edited by mayo; 30 November 2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

FLAWLESS ESCAPE
              obvious pick for me, went off favourite for Martin Pipe at last years festival and made two bad errors and was unplaced.
              Finished rated 137 over hurdles, starts off in beginners chase tomorrow @ fairyhouse ridden by Russell, same race that the storyteller won last year. Will surely be aimed at one of the Handicaps at cheltenham, hurdles or fences to be fair, unless he improves dramatically over fences to be grade one class.
              Can pretty much repeat a lot of that for DUCA DE THAIX - also running in handicap tomorrow at fairyhouse, rated just 133 over fences but well backed for county last year and looks like he's gaining plenty of experience chasing for one of the handicaps at the festival, will need to bump up rating a bit so might be worth backing tomorrow.

Comment

Great idea Jackie

A couple for me right now:

The Worlds End - Ultima
                Made a case for this horse in the win any race market a few weeks back after his chase debut. Since then he ran on the face of it a disappointing race at the track but that for me may mean his futures points more towards a race like this rather than the RSA / 4 Miler.
                Could be on the higher end of the handicap (current mark of 152) but i'm hoping another 'below par' performance next time out might get his mark to around or just below 150 which i'd be more than happy with. Horses at the top of the market have ran very well in the last few renewals:

Shantou Flyer 2nd - 152
                Beware the Bear 4th - 150
                Un Temps Pour Tour 1st - 155
                Noble Endeavour 4th - 154
                Holywell 2nd - 153
                Morning Assembly 4th - 150

He looked an absolute natural on his chasing debut and if he arrives there 4-5lbs short of his hurdles mark of 155 he's of huge interest for me. As Jackie mentions above novices have a good record in the race and they are the type who i'm increasingly drawn too in this race (and most). I won't bring up the ground debate again but that is obviously a potential sticking point. You could also argue he's had 4 attempts at the track now and not registered a single win however for me in 3 of his 4 runs at the track he's travelled through the races really well which to me suggests the track isn't a concern. The AB run he fell too far out to tell and his 2 runs over hurdles in open company saw him travel through the race lovely only to find little up the hill. Maybe he just doesn't like the finish but i'm willing to put that down to the ground those days as last time out he actually stayed on well.

Tom George and Adrian Heskin were a beaten second a few years ago with Singlefarmpayment so the combination have form in the race.
                And...let's not forget the owners - the McNeil family, one of being Max McNeill owns Ultima Business Solutions - the sponsors of the race

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                  And...let's not forget the owners - the McNeil family, one of being Max McNeill owns Ultima Business Solutions - the sponsors of the race
                  Sold.

Comment

Mr Big Shot - Ultima (again!)

I was impressed with his win at Aintree in the Spring - his first go at 3 miles and my first thought was for this race. Pipe has won the race 3 times in the last 10 years, notably twice with Un Temps Por Tout who runs for the same owner - Caroline Tisdall. He takes on Santini and Killbricken Storm tomorrow at Newbury where he's up against it. Interesting it was the same race Un Temps Por Tour ran in in 2015 (finished 2nd to Native River). That pushed the horse and connections towards handicaps and i'm hoping a similar situation will occur here. Depending on the result tomorrow it'll be very interesting if he then turned up at Cheltenham on trials day (like UTPT)

His hurdle mark of 148 was achieved with the single run over 3 miles which he looked to relish. He ran in last years Martin Pipe and actually ran a decent race - better than the 10th place finish suggests. He made good progress after being held up but just blew out around 3 out which is understandable given it was his first run of the season and for just short of a year.

I'm pretty reluctant to back a Pipe horse these days but I can't help but be drawn to him. A word of warning though he's an incredibly fragile horse so wouldn't be an antepost bet until nearer the time and unfortunately despite his recent record at Cheltenham overall would likely be a shorter price than expected closer to the time being a Pipe handicap runner.

Comment

Minds Eye- Grand Annual

He’s a rogue.

I think he needs a pace in front of him to keep him concentrating, you’re not going to get a better race for that than the Grand Annual.

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
                        Mr Big Shot - Ultima (again!)

I was impressed with his win at Aintree in the Spring - his first go at 3 miles and my first thought was for this race. Pipe has won the race 3 times in the last 10 years, notably twice with Un Temps Por Tout who runs for the same owner - Caroline Tisdall. He takes on Santini and Killbricken Storm tomorrow at Newbury where he's up against it. Interesting it was the same race Un Temps Por Tour ran in in 2015 (finished 2nd to Native River). That pushed the horse and connections towards handicaps and i'm hoping a similar situation will occur here. Depending on the result tomorrow it'll be very interesting if he then turned up at Cheltenham on trials day (like UTPT)

His hurdle mark of 148 was achieved with the single run over 3 miles which he looked to relish. He ran in last years Martin Pipe and actually ran a decent race - better than the 10th place finish suggests. He made good progress after being held up but just blew out around 3 out which is understandable given it was his first run of the season and for just short of a year.

I'm pretty reluctant to back a Pipe horse these days but I can't help but be drawn to him. A word of warning though he's an incredibly fragile horse so wouldn't be an antepost bet until nearer the time and unfortunately despite his recent record at Cheltenham overall would likely be a shorter price than expected closer to the time being a Pipe handicap runner.
                        Another great call Jono. Could they somehow manage to keep him below the Kim Muir rating cut off of 145? He's one I'll be watching with interest tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                          Felix Desjy Martin Pipe. Cheltenham Bumper 6th. Impressive debut in Galway followed by 2 seemingly below par runs. Current RPR 132. May need to show some improvement to get in the race.
                          Trainer: Elliot had winner in 1st and 3rd in 2017. Will have best conditionals available to him.
                          Gigginstown: Winner in 2017. No runner 2016. Third 2015. Winner 2014. 4/12/BD in 2013. 2/4 in 2012. Winner 2011. For an outfit that run their horses on their merits they manage to get some well handicapped.
                          Mayo , someone touched on Gigginstown record early in the year over on the betfair forum by highlighting certain races winners have run in ill copy the link below.

Gigginstown runners in the Martin Pipe (0-145) over the past 4 years:2017- Champagne Classic WON off 138 - Ran third in 2m4f 'At The Races Michael Purcell Memorial Novice Hurdle' (Grade 3) @ Thurles2016- No Gigginstown Runner2015- Roi Des Francs THI

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                            [B]For an outfit that run their horses on their merits they manage to get some well handicapped.
                            No comment.

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                              FLAWLESS ESCAPE
                              obvious pick for me, went off favourite for Martin Pipe at last years festival and made two bad errors and was unplaced.
                              Finished rated 137 over hurdles, starts off in beginners chase tomorrow @ fairyhouse ridden by Russell, same race that the storyteller won last year. Will surely be aimed at one of the Handicaps at cheltenham, hurdles or fences to be fair, unless he improves dramatically over fences to be grade one.

Have had my eye on this one for the plate since last season. The other one I think could go close is Kings Socks

Comment

Working...
                              X