Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Handicap Shortlists

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
    The thing with that article that surprised me was to read that a 7th horse was also put down after the festival due to complications with surgery.

But it didn’t name the horse? Was it hidden deliberately? Does anyone know which horse?

I think it was Melrose Boy

Comment

Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
      I think it was Melrose Boy
      Cheers. Wonder why they didn’t name him in the article

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
        Cheers. Wonder why they didn’t name him in the article
        I found it here now mate.

A review into the deaths of horses at the Cheltenham Festival warns that welfare issues threaten the future of the sport.

Comment

Originally posted by jonthehammer View Post
          Cheers. Will have a look to see what occurred

Comment

Key proposals include:

Enhanced veterinary checks on all runners and targeted alterations to race conditions at the Cheltenham Festival

A major project to build 'a predictive risk model' for racing as a whole to assist with future reform

Monitoring jockeys and trainers who have a higher than average number of falls

Reducing the maximum number of runners in the Grand Annual Chase from 24 to 20

Changing conditions of the Martin Pipe Conditional Jockeys' Handicap Hurdle to encourage the use of more experienced jockeys rather
            than riders who can claim a weight allowance

Comment

If you believe twitter Ruby will be setting of every alert going on the callers monitor

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                Haha! It's hard to pick what race should be last though.

I'm usually exhausted. I didn't bother with it in my first two betting festivals (probably as I was only watching on TV and partly because I wouldn't have heard of anything in the races). Only had the winner once, although had a horse place every year bar 2016. Not interesting but it was right in front of me
                If it were up to me , The last race would be the Champion Bumper , being a flat race , should be less injuries .,
                and it's my least favourite race , .

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                  If it were up to me , The last race would be the Champion Bumper , being a flat race , should be less injuries .,
                  and it's my least favourite race , .
                  If they didn't want to mess moving races to different days.
                  It'd have to be a hurdle, Triumph, Bartlett, or Martin Pipe.

But If I was in charge I would bring all races forward and start at 1pm, and the last race would be at 5pm.

Tuesday last race would be Champion Hurdle,
                  Wednesday last race would be Queen Mother.
                  Thursday Stayers
                  And Gold Cup at 5pm on the Friday.

And realistically they should change it to Wed - Saturday.

If you want to promote racing and the big races that's the way to do it. Or something like that.

Comment

Pacific De Baune has got another small field novice race tomorrow at Donny. He’s already jumped nicely on debut but has a rating of 139 which will need to be handled delicately if they opt for the Close Brothers Novice Handicap Chase. He may well prove better than a handicapper but if his mark doesn’t change after tomorrow, the options could be open.

Comment

Originally posted by JackieMoon33 View Post
                      Pacific De Baune has got another small field novice race tomorrow at Donny. He’s already jumped nicely on debut but has a rating of 139 which will need to be handled delicately if they opt for the Close Brothers Novice Handicap Chase. He may well prove better than a handicapper but if his mark doesn’t change after tomorrow, the options could be open.
                      i think hendo got one beat in that race at Donny last year

Comment

Originally posted by quevega View Post
                        If they didn't want to mess moving races to different days.
                        It'd have to be a hurdle, Triumph, Bartlett, or Martin Pipe.

But If I was in charge I would bring all races forward and start at 1pm, and the last race would be at 5pm.

Tuesday last race would be Champion Hurdle,
                        Wednesday last race would be Queen Mother.
                        Thursday Stayers
                        And Gold Cup at 5pm on the Friday.

And realistically they should change it to Wed - Saturday.

If you want to promote racing and the big races that's the way to do it. Or something like that.
                        It was the county hurdle as the last race for a long time. I'm not sure why they decided to move it to the Grand Annual and it would make sense to change things around slightly.

Comment

The big race of any day should definitely not be the last one. It's bad enough getting out when departures are staggered but it would be mayhem if everyone left at the same time.
                          The 13.00 to 17.00 move would work and having the County as the last race again is fair enough. I'm hoping to have a runner in both the County and the Grand Annual so it's likely to be a late night for me either way.

Comment

Glenloe - Kim Muir
                            I feel I'd regret not mentioning him for this race. Scooby has made a good case for him in the 4 miler thread, and he may well end up there, but he's certainly on my shortlist for this race now.

Gordon has only had 1 runner in the race each year, since 2013 and none the two years prior. It looks like this:

2018 - Squouateur (Elliott/JP/Codd) - 3rd at 5/1
                            2017 - Squouateur (Elliott/JP/Codd) - UR at 5/1F
                            2016 - Cause of Causes (Elliott/JP/Codd - 1st at 9/2
                            2015 - Bless The Wings (Elliott/Nina) 2nd 28/1 (Codd 1st on The Package)
                            2014 - Cause of Causes (Elliott/JP/Nina) - 2nd at 13/2
                            2013 - Romanesco (Elliott/Gigg/Nina) - 3rd at 8/1
                            2012 - no runner
                            2011 - no runner

So from 6 runnings, that is 3221U3. I have no doubt whatsoever I'll be taking whatever Elliott does run seriously.

He's shown a decent level of form with Delta Work, who was 145 going in to Punchestown after beating Glenloe a nose - now Delta Work has gone straight into novice chasing and looks to belong at graded level, and there is no doubt that could be the case with Glenloe, however (as was pointed out), they kept Glenloe's true ability hidden with a view to collecting the Pertemps and didn't amke the cut one year, before getting beaten a nose after a tardy jump at the last in this years renewal. I don't think it takes a HUGE leap to say that Glenloe will be campaigned over fences to gain a very similar mark that he is as a hurdler (142). I think he's better than that, and if he turns up in the Kim Muir, he's a 5/1 shot at best.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                              The big race of any day should definitely not be the last one. It's bad enough getting out when departures are staggered but it would be mayhem if everyone left at the same time.
                              The 13.00 to 17.00 move would work and having the County as the last race again is fair enough. I'm hoping to have a runner in both the County and the Grand Annual so it's likely to be a late night for me either way.
                              Poor reason that archie, beating traffic

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                                Glenloe - Kim Muir
                                I feel I'd regret not mentioning him for this race. Scooby has made a good case for him in the 4 miler thread, and he may well end up there, but he's certainly on my shortlist for this race now.

Gordon has only had 1 runner in the race each year, since 2013 and none the two years prior. It looks like this:

2018 - Squouateur (Elliott/JP/Codd) - 3rd at 5/1
                                2017 - Squouateur (Elliott/JP/Codd) - UR at 5/1F
                                2016 - Cause of Causes (Elliott/JP/Codd - 1st at 9/2
                                2015 - Bless The Wings (Elliott/Nina) 2nd 28/1 (Codd 1st on The Package)
                                2014 - Cause of Causes (Elliott/JP/Nina) - 2nd at 13/2
                                2013 - Romanesco (Elliott/Gigg/Nina) - 3rd at 8/1
                                2012 - no runner
                                2011 - no runner

So from 6 runnings, that is 3221U3. I have no doubt whatsoever I'll be taking whatever Elliott does run seriously.

He's shown a decent level of form with Delta Work, who was 145 going in to Punchestown after beating Glenloe a nose - now Delta Work has gone straight into novice chasing and looks to belong at graded level, and there is no doubt that could be the case with Glenloe, however (as was pointed out), they kept Glenloe's true ability hidden with a view to collecting the Pertemps and didn't amke the cut one year, before getting beaten a nose after a tardy jump at the last in this years renewal. I don't think it takes a HUGE leap to say that Glenloe will be campaigned over fences to gain a very similar mark that he is as a hurdler (142). I think he's better than that, and if he turns up in the Kim Muir, he's a 5/1 shot at best.
                                I like Glenloe very much for the races people have mentioned in last day or two.
                                However, it's not a foregone conclusion there is a lot more improvement to come simply by comparing with Delta Work. I agree that both showed there best form at Cheltenham, but Delta work was a five yr old novice and Glenloe a 7 yr old having his second season and he may not have been hiding his ability as much as some think. I was on him for the pertemps in 2017 and 2018 so have watched every race of his and it never looked obvious he was a lot better, I just trusted Elliotts record in the handicaps.
                                But he is very much of interest to me for the same reasons mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                                X