3lb Claimer

Making a book for races

Hi all,
    Been reading a lot of the threads lately and seen a lot of you have a 'book' made for the bigger races. This is something I might try to do myself next year but havent the foggiest of where to start. Is there any rules/things you stick to and any tips for a beginner?

Cheers for any advice

Quote Originally Posted by darlojim View Post
    Hi all,
    Been reading a lot of the threads lately and seen a lot of you have a 'book' made for the bigger races. This is something I might try to do myself next year but havent the foggiest of where to start. Is there any rules/things you stick to and any tips for a beginner?

Cheers for any advice
    Good question, but just to clarify, and this can be found on the web, this picked up from wiki "In gambling parlance, making a book is the practice of laying bets on the various possible outcomes of a single event", so technically I don't think any one on here would be specifically creating a book (I haven't seen many people suggesting laying any horses), more so a portfolio, whereby they have numerous selections in one particular race, also known as dutching, in order to extract profit from.

There is a lot of jargon about, so try not to get too confused by it all, most of it generally means something pretty simple.

The rules you set are what works for you, total bank / staking plans, assessment of potential bets etc..., exit strategy, i.e. using a bookmaker like Bet365 to be able to get out of a bet should it start looking weak or using an exchange, thus reducing the risk factor.
    Last edited by ComplyOrDie; 11-29-2018 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by darlojim View Post
    Hi all,

Cheers for any advice
    CoD is right, technically it isn't 'making a book' (in my case anyway) as I'll very rarely lay a horse for a significant amount.

Non runners are a big factor that you need to prepare for. I usually have between 20%-25% of non runners by the Tuesday morning, which would be quite a significant amount of money in 'day-to'day' life. Certainly more than I'd ever put on a single bet! However, that is (overly) compensated for by the prices I'll have ahead of SP for the remaining runners - which is the main aim for me, because in theory, if you're ahead of the SP on every horse (and factoring in their margins) you should be able to profit from whichever race you've done it in.

I did it in the Arkle (only 5 runners), Stayers (bar L'ami Serge) and Gold Cup last year. The Arkle just cut up and was fortunate enough to have some prices about 4 of the runners that made it impossible not to do (for me). The Stayers hurdle IO had no strong opinion on all season, and ended up only really playing horses where I thought there was value, and PEnhill was one that I only backed because I was almost forced to make a book, therefore only made 3 pts profit from that race despite a 27 pt stake.

The Gold Cup was slightly different as I strongly fancied Our Duke, however he went out to 25/1 after his 1st run so I didn't find it too hard after that. 24 pts profit from 55 pts staked with a heavily weighted book in favour of Our Duke, Killultagh Vic and one or two others.

Not sure any of that will help but happy to answer questions

Professional
    I was 15 points down before the Arc started with bets on Masar, Forever Together and quite a big position on Cracksman. I came out of it 50 points up with Enable 6/1 and Sea Of Class 25/1 ew in the book. I've had a few losing books on big races but most of the time I profit. I like building a book for some races because it allows you to adjust your position when new evidence arises, and you can 'clean' up bad bets with non runners etc. Sometimes I will lay off liabilities on the day for a risk free position.

7lb Claimer
    Is there any races at the Cheltenham people favour for making a book on? I like this thread as I’m currently half way to making a book on the Arkle and Champion hurdle with mostly free bets, this seems to have happened almost by accident as it’s not normally the way I bet. I guess it just happened that way with horse’s being aimed at these races getting confirmed early. The Arkle seems obvious as it cuts up making the job easier, but anyone have specific races they target at Cheltenham with this approach?