Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Handicapping + Rating Horses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicapping + Rating Horses

Every now and then i threaten to start doing this- i spend a great deal of time trolling through form anyway, however, when push comes to shove it never comes to fruition.

The barrior to my entry in to rating races seems to be where to actually start. I mean, i could decide today to just start with today's races and continue to do this, but how long will that actually take for anything worthwhile to come from it?

Does anyone do this themselves? Perhaps you use a service you find useful and time-saving? Do you use perhaps an excel sheet that does it for you?

Appreciate the responses!

The racing post, if you subscribe, allows your own ratings I believe?

How confident are you you're own ratings would be better than RPR, TF or OR? Or other people's speed figures you can purchase?

I'd imagine it would depend on that and how you analysed it to see how worthwhile it is?

Would you be best starting with a certain set of races? Handicap hurdles? Novice hurdles? See how that went?

Comment

I see no point in wasting time making your own ratings when there are others to follow.
      When looking at a race prior to making a bet, surely it's easier to sanity check (for yourself) the ones that are published by Official BHA, Racing Post or Timeform, for example.
      This is usually done naturally when studying the form.

Pricing a race up before the bookies is a different matter, but helps you decide where the value is, based on your own thoughts/knowledge etc.

Comment

Cheers @kevloaf

Some great helpful points there, sometimes i need guidance like that haha. I do use RPRs and OR to a fair degree, never so much TF, as its bloody expensive! To be honest i am not sure, but i might try it and see how it plays out. That's a great idea to try and start in a certain set of races...

@quevega

Yes i can see where you are coming from, however, at times i think there will be opportunities that RPRs and TF miss--

I do price up races quite a lot, but i've always thought having a whole set of ratings would be very efficient (once up and running ofc)

Comment

How do you go about pricing your own races Jack - any software/tools to help with that?

I don't think there is anything about that on the forum and it'd probably help a few people

Comment

I try to do it before any prices are available which tends to be just after decs..alternatively if you use the RP (i do) you can switch the prices to off. However, there's still a tissue price often thre so that can tend to get in the way.

I would tend to only price up races i have a good grasp of the form and horses as a whole. For example, i wouldn't go and attempt to price up Southwell today, whereas i have had a good go at pricing up the Clonmel Oil.

My tools are pretty basic, i use RP (form + videos) + ATR (for race pace, draw etc.), pen, paper and lastly i use http://sportsbettingindex.com/odds-calculator.html - i use this overround calculator, as generally i am lazy and it saves me working them out in my head etc.

As i said already, its normal that i will only price up races i have a good knowledge of, so i will already have a fair idea, of what i think will be the order of prices. I sort them by RPR normally and then will have a good look through the form to see ground (check weather), traits of the track etc and then i will have a look at the horses ratings (more important for handicaps probs) and whether the jockey and trainer have any luck at the course + if so, to what detail, how have they done in the specific race, ie, hurdles, chases etc.

Then i will rank them in order, and price it up until i sort of feel happy with it- then stick them in the website above, and make sure i am not wildly over or unders. Adjust if necessary and await prices....

Pretty sure i'll have forgotten something but that's my process!

Comment

Look up 'Betting Tissue Club' if you're interested in compiling your own tissues.

Comment

Hi Boopa, yes i follow them on Twitter it's an interesting creation- I have to admit i haven't participated as yet!

Comment

Working...
                X