Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

What's the muggiest Cheltenham bet you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the muggiest Cheltenham bet you've ever made?

As we count the second to the new jumps season proper, I thought it might be good craic to have some banter at our own expense.

Especially as I just remembered about 6 years ago when I was new to racing, I backed a horse in the bumper because someone told me they were a good jumper, and I was unaware they were joking

Mt Leinster for the bumper... when they're just talking it up so they can sell it

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      Mt Leinster for the bumper... when they're just talking it up so they can sell it
      Exactly what I thought when he talked it up and was for sale owned by his wife.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Peace & Co in last season's County Hurdle

Comment

I stuck £100 on Sizing Codelco in the Brown Advisory @ 14/1 in 2017. I found the slip a year later in my inner coat pocket on the first day of Cheltenham this year. To this day I have no recollection of placing the bet or what possessed me to place the bet!

Comment

Was just getting into racing around January 2008 and thought I knew it all. Cheltenham came around and this was the first big test for me I was a complete and utter novice, 20 years old, would improve for the experience, a fence and a even step up in trip. I was still in college and my part time job on weekends paid about €100 to €140 a weekend depending on if i got the longer shift on the Sunday so i was betting small money.

Tuesday was great, started with an each way on Binocular (2nd), each way on Tidal Bay at 8s (1st), each way on Katchit at 10s (1st), had an each way on L'ami (3rd) and Garde Champetre to win at 4/1, I was up a weeks wages. The Wednesday was called off and I thought I was the best gambler in the world.

I'd a horrible Thursday with Inglis Drever my only winner and I had upped my stakes but Friday was another day. I was talking to a guy I knew who I thought knew everything about racing because basically I knew nothing, he'd 200 on ID, I had about €15 win. Friday the disaster continued Francheok was the good thing of the day and he was stuffed.. I was down about 200 for the week at this stage, your man kept talking about how Kauto Star was the best horse ever and Denman wouldn't get near him, Kauto would just burn him off too much pace. I proceed to hit the savings account throw about €425 on Kauto at 10/11. Some valuable lessons learned that day.

Comment

Definitely Red in this years Gold Cup, I’d had a really good week and with going on the Friday I got carried away with this horse.
              The only saving grace was a double on presenting Percy and native river which clawed back a ‘bit’ of my stake.

Comment

Being pissed up, massively down and withdrawing £280 to stick on the good thing that was Apples Jade at 4-7 this year wasn’t my highlight and ment that single race nearly cost me my entire festival once antepost was added on

Comment

There seems to be a strong correlation between bad betting and alcohol consumption. All of my worst bets have been the same.

I once bought a winning placepot ticket off someone for 3 times the actual payout. Drink in, brains out!

Comment

Backing anything odds at the festival on is a mugs bet in my book. Even if it wins where is the joy in it.

Sentimental betting is one of my many failings all the way back to Istabraq's last Champion Hurdle.

Comment

Mine will be a max bet Samcro Champion Hurdle if he goes chasing!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by billymag View Post
                        Mine will be a max bet Samcro Champion Hurdle if he goes chasing!!!!!!
                        Getting matched short today on BF

Comment

Kauto Star in the Champion Chase, never a 2 miler!

Comment

I've been going since 1989 so could write a book on the horror bets I've struck at the festival...

Comment

Great thread this. Must be so many great stories out there. I remember watching half a dozen young Irish lads going all in on Annie Power the year she fell. €600 here, €850 there. Their festival ended when she hit the turf.

Comment

Working...
                              X