Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Ryanair 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
    Min is better than Footpad on all known form.
    Overall, I'd agree with that. I wasn't saying any different, only trying to explain the timeform rating and where it came from.

But I'd also agree with Timeform that Footpad has shown one piece of form that is better than anything Min has achieved.
    With hindsight and subsequent performance's I understand that this could be questioned, like Kev says.

But we would have been having a different conversation on the Thursday of the festival last year.
    Footpad was at least 20 lengths better than Min on the clock (about 8 seconds, and 5 seconds faster than altior), and 6lbs better off.
    Min was slowing down and Footpad was cruising past the line.

The timeform rating is based on a horses best performance in the conditions.

Comment

• Over 2 miles Min looks way clear but Ryanair trip id take a match bet that Footpad would beat Min at the festival.

Comment

• Footpad has the potential to be better than Min for sure, but one performance doesn't cut it for me.

I will need to see more from Footpad as largely he has been a bit disappointing so far since competing in open company, even taking in to account the excuses/reasons.

With the greatest respect to Timeform and all the other ratings providers, and I do use them, but I in no way take them as gospel, every single one is used as a 'small part' of a bigger picture that I personally try to create.

Comment

• Originally posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
          Footpad has the potential to be better than Min for sure, but one performance doesn't cut it for me.

I will need to see more from Footpad as largely he has been a bit disappointing so far since competing in open company, even taking in to account the excuses/reasons.

With the greatest respect to Timeform and all the other ratings providers, and I do use them, but I in no way take them as gospel, every single one is used as a 'small part' of a bigger picture that I personally try to create.
          Agree with all that COD.
          Ratings can be useful, but it's important to understand how they have been made.

I'd personally back Footpad to beat Min, assuming they were both the same price, over either distance.
          But I would not be confident, and it would simply be based on potential for more vs Min probably having shown what he is capable of.

Comment

• Footpad on bare form isn't quite at Min's level yet. He's had a strange year, but if i remember correctly, didn't he do something very good in comparison to Min last year at the DRF?

Aren't the Timeform ratings mentioned their master rating, which means its a rating that on their day given a specific set of conditions they can run to? Not a handicap rating as such?

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
              Footpad on bare form isn't quite at Min's level yet. He's had a strange year, but if i remember correctly, didn't he do something very good in comparison to Min last year at the DRF?

Aren't the Timeform ratings mentioned their master rating, which means its a rating that on their day given a specific set of conditions they can run to? Not a handicap rating as such?
              yes they are.

Comment

• Who do you like the look of in the Ryanair Chase?

Gordon Elliott Willie [Mullins] looks to have a strong hand with Min, Un De Sceaux and others in the race, and whatever he runs will have a big shout. Min hasn’t won at the festival but the two times he’s run there he’s come up against Altior, and he wouldn’t have him to worry about this year if he runs in the Ryanair.

Paul Nicholls Of ours, Politologue has his chance, but until we are closer to the day it is always a difficult race to assess. I am just very hopeful that racing will be on next weekend so the Ascot Chase, one of the key British trials, can take place.

James Bowen It looks an open race and I would like to see the definite runners, but Min would have a great chance if he contested the Ryanair.

Matt Williams The Ryanair is the right race for Monalee, over the right trip – he’s not a Gold Cup horse. I’m not sure a near-two-mile-five-furlong trip is what Min wants, either.

Paul Kealy Trying to find a runner in that race is hard enough at this stage, so the ante-post market needs taking with a pinch of salt. There has to be some value in there somewhere, though, and perhaps last year’s Plate winner The Storyteller is worth an each-way stab at 33-1. He obviously handles the track well enough and could do with a nice strongly run race at the trip.

Padraig Hassett Min has plenty of class and might be good enough in what looks an average race.

Comment

• Kealy is spot on , I made my mind up years ago not to bet ante post in this race.
                  Sadly my mind is weak.
                  With the result this year “ scatter gun”
                  Min 12/1
                  Top Notch 25/1
                  Al Boum Photo 16/1
                  Aso 20/1
                  The horse I’d love to see here is WP, not gunna type anymore for fear of upsetting some :-)))

Comment

• Originally posted by monkfish View Post
                    Who do you like the look of in the Ryanair Chase?

Gordon Elliott Willie [Mullins] looks to have a strong hand with Min, Un De Sceaux and others in the race, and whatever he runs will have a big shout. Min hasn’t won at the festival but the two times he’s run there he’s come up against Altior, and he wouldn’t have him to worry about this year if he runs in the Ryanair.

Paul Nicholls Of ours, Politologue has his chance, but until we are closer to the day it is always a difficult race to assess. I am just very hopeful that racing will be on next weekend so the Ascot Chase, one of the key British trials, can take place.

James Bowen It looks an open race and I would like to see the definite runners, but Min would have a great chance if he contested the Ryanair.

Matt Williams The Ryanair is the right race for Monalee, over the right trip – he’s not a Gold Cup horse. I’m not sure a near-two-mile-five-furlong trip is what Min wants, either.

Paul Kealy Trying to find a runner in that race is hard enough at this stage, so the ante-post market needs taking with a pinch of salt. There has to be some value in there somewhere, though, and perhaps last year’s Plate winner The Storyteller is worth an each-way stab at 33-1. He obviously handles the track well enough and could do with a nice strongly run race at the trip.

Padraig Hassett Min has plenty of class and might be good enough in what looks an average race.
                    Do we have a link to the full article ??

Comment

• The 'class/best horse' versus the 'optimum trip' angle is going to be the main piece of debate for the Ryanair on the preview circuits isn't it.

Best horse wins the race, more often than not. It's not like he's a NON-STAYER. Optimum or not, he's just better than Monalee et al.

Comment

• Originally posted by thistlecracker View Post
                        Do we have a link to the full article ??
                        Buy the racing post...

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                          Buy the racing post...
                          Or do what I just did and go in the bookies and ask to take the couple of pages that interest you
                          #scrounger

Comment

• Just get a feeling min mite go QMC Willie will want something to serve it up to alitor footpads not the answer I don’t think

Comment

• Originally posted by Arkle View Post
                              Just get a feeling min mite go QMC Willie will want something to serve it up to alitor footpads not the answer I don’t think
                              Why will Willie want something to serve it up to Altior?

He didn't when he had Yorkhill, he put Royal Cavier in against Altior and won the JLT with Yorkhill.

Comment

• min served it up before, and was brushed aside.
                                Min should be given the chance to step up.
                                article today relates to previous discussions on footpad etc.
                                From Galopin Des Champs to Teahupoo, Grey Dawning and Majborough, Simon Rowlands analyses the best of the final two days of the Cheltenham Festival.

Comment

Working...
                                X