Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Foxhunters 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foxhunters 2019

Yes, I’m starting a thread for the Foxhunters in October! This one isn’t going to win any prizes for originality but I wanted to discuss GILGAMBOA.

Earlier on I wrote a post in the Mares Novices thread to say I’ve just backed Daphne Du Clos, and that it’s the first time I’ll have placed a bet on that race so far out. Well similar comments apply to this one too so I thought it worthy of a thread-starter. I wouldn't usually dream of getting involved in this race so far in advance – but I’m happy to make an exception when I think circumstances dictate.

Considering connections, this has surely been the target for Gilgamboa since he was sent PTP-ing a year ago. The form of his last 2 races last season when beating Burning Ambition and Foxrock looks really classy in the context of this race and, if eligible, would likely have been a warm favourite for the race last season. I’m not much a follower of RPRs (so I’m happy to be criticised by those who know more) but I couldn't help but spot that he earned an RPR of 146 for both the aforementioned performances, which would be good enough to win 4 of the last 5 renewals of this – only falling short of On The Fringe’s runaway performance in 2015. He’s 10 (going on 11) which is no problem in this race – again, looking at the last 5 years, 10yo+ have occupied 16 of the top 25 places, in fact the first 3 in last year’s race were all aged 11 or 12. Obviously it’s impossible to know what the competition will look like (Paul Nicholls will inevitably have a few worthy challengers) but at 14/1 I’m happy to take the chance that Gilgamboa will line up as one of the classiest in the field. I see very few negatives.

SkyBet are the only bookie I’ve seen offering prices at the moment but rather than wait around I’ve taken some of the 14/1. This is one I can easily seeing being half that by Christmas.

yes agree with all that, and Im pretty sure hes eligible this year

Comment

Good opening VF.
      I got suckered into backing Gilgamboa by one or two in here and there's no question he would bring some of the classiest form ever seen should he take his chances in the race, but he wouldn't have the ideal profile for a Foxhunters winner.
      Irish are dominating most races these days and this race is no different, but the concern is that Gilgamboa's class (at peak) gives him a rating higher than any horse I can every remember winning the race.
      But, in great hands and guaranteed to get the services of a leading amateur.
      There won't be a better horse in the race but would be a bit of a trend buster if he was to prevail...

Comment

I will admit it was me who got Skybet to price Gilgamboa for this race months ago.I just thought target is nailed on and and after last years runs and didnt get to go to the fest im having some of it early.And i thought 14/1 was a good price.

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
          Good opening VF.
          I got suckered into backing Gilgamboa by one or two in here and there's no question he would bring some of the classiest form ever seen should he take his chances in the race, but he wouldn't have the ideal profile for a Foxhunters winner.
          Irish are dominating most races these days and this race is no different, but the concern is that Gilgamboa's class (at peak) gives him a rating higher than any horse I can every remember winning the race.
          But, in great hands and guaranteed to get the services of a leading amateur.
          There won't be a better horse in the race but would be a bit of a trend buster if he was to prevail...
          Cheers Ista!
          It sounds like you're a slightly reluctant backer? Interestingly are you suggesting his class in comparison to previous winners is a negative? Is there a history of high class horses trying and failing in this race? I don't follow trends too closely but always interested to hear of particularly prevalent ones.

Comment

Originally posted by somer1 View Post
            I will admit it was me who got Skybet to price Gilgamboa for this race months ago.I just thought target is nailed on and and after last years runs and didnt get to go to the fest im having some of it early.And i thought 14/1 was a good price.
            Ha! Good work Somer!

Comment

Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
              Cheers Ista!
              It sounds like you're a slightly reluctant backer? Interestingly are you suggesting his class in comparison to previous winners is a negative? Is there a history of high class horses trying and failing in this race? I don't follow trends too closely but always interested to hear of particularly prevalent ones.
              I don't think he's ever been worth a rating of 159, achieved by losing in graded races. Low 150s for me. Decent horse bringing the best form to the table so 14/1 is fair but no more than that.

Comment

Originally posted by Viking Flagship View Post
                Cheers Ista!
                Not reluctant VF, but this usually goes to a young horse who is from PTP/Hunter codes or an established ex PTP/Hunter, Gilgamboa would bring form into the race not seen for a while, twice saw Vautours backside so been tried in top table heats.

Shamelessly stolen from Gault Stats - since 2005 only one ex handicapper rated 140+ at their peak has won...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  Not reluctant VF, but this usually goes to a young horse who is from PTP/Hunter codes or an established ex PTP/Hunter, Gilgamboa would bring form into the race not seen for a while, twice saw Vautours backside so been tried in top table heats.

Shamelessly stolen from Gault Stats - since 2005 only one ex handicapper rated 140+ at their peak has won...
                  I assume that was before last years as Pacha Du Polder was 151 at one stage and has won the last 2.

Comment

As I remember there was some uncertainty last year about whether a horse is eligible or not to run in the Foxhunters. Can anyone confirm if Fagan can run in this race in 2019. 20-1 looks a fair price to me but do not want to get involved if it is already a non-runner.

Comment

Stand up and fight
                      One id have in mind for this.
                      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                        Stand up and fight
                        Runs tomorrow in a hugely competitive open. Including burning ambition. Kruzhlinin (Gordon elliot) alelch inois (mullins) sizing coal......

I'll try and add him to the market. Should he win this hugely competative race. I'll be suprised if they see the race to cut him.
                        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Fancy him to win it?

Will all of those you've mentioned be eligible?

Comment

I'm just gonna back' Pacha ' on the day , worked the last two years . Pacha /Tiger double??

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                              Stand up and fight
                              I see Kruzhlinen won today’s race with Stand up and fight a non-runner

Comment

Working...
                              X