Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Supreme Novice Hurdle 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by evertoncal
    Is he your boyfriend lad?
    Literally no need for that

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      I consider this forum quite a good filter.

There is just enough 'random opinion' to get a snapshot of what "the twitterverse" thinks, and enough people that know what they're talking about to make sense of it all, add context and essentially help me make informed decisions.
      Plus horse racing Twitter is the pits these days. Loads of people getting aggy with one another, not interested in debate, @-ing jockeys to insult them, or posting BOOOOM in the hope one day they can start charging people for tips.

This forum is a god send imo, and keen to preserve the tone and spirit of the place

Comment

• Let’s keep it sensible/friendly fellas

Comment

• VDH into 10s with betway and a few others but 16s about with BV

A big step forward today but it says a lot about this race and lack of quality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            Let’s keep it sensible/friendly fellas
            Cannot agree more with this and other related comments; the general tone and respect levels seem to be lower this year. I think the forum is stronger now than 2015 (when I joined) and we have gained some great members. That being said, it is fascinating to see some of the changes over the last four years. Take this race: in 2015 there were a grand total of 159 comments; we're already up to over 1500 and there's still two months to go! We have had over 100 posts discussing a maiden race today and I honestly don't know if that is progress (more forum members, more insight, more engagement) or a backwards step (less respect, more ego)
            Certainly one of the biggest changes is the focus on ante post positions and the advent of cash out options which were not really there or discussed a few years ago. There were always some discussion on AP prices and potential value but now we seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time talking about AP positions, prices, whether or not to cash out and what to add; it is starting to sound more like an arbitrage discussion on a trading floor than a discussion about who is going to win a race.
            Like I said, the forum is net net stronger than it was and I guess that is part of my frustration. Knowing there's some great insight is one thing; ploughing through all the posts to find it is incredibly tedious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bayoffreedom View Post
              Cannot agree more with this and other related comments; the general tone and respect levels seem to be lower this year. I think the forum is stronger now than 2015 (when I joined) and we have gained some great members. That being said, it is fascinating to see some of the changes over the last four years. Take this race: in 2015 there were a grand total of 159 comments; we're already up to over 1500 and there's still two months to go! We have had over 100 posts discussing a maiden race today and I honestly don't know if that is progress (more forum members, more insight, more engagement) or a backwards step (less respect, more ego)
              Certainly one of the biggest changes is the focus on ante post positions and the advent of cash out options which were not really there or discussed a few years ago. There were always some discussion on AP prices and potential value but now we seem to be spending an inordinate amount of time talking about AP positions, prices, whether or not to cash out and what to add; it is starting to sound more like an arbitrage discussion on a trading floor than a discussion about who is going to win a race.
              Like I said, the forum is net net stronger than it was and I guess that is part of my frustration. Knowing there's some great insight is one thing; ploughing through all the posts to find it is incredibly tedious.
              I share your concern BOF and also comments earlier in thread about keeping it friendly.

Basic rules here are to be decent to each other and the jockeys. Robith is right about the @ing jockeys on twitter - it is absolutely out of hand.

None of us have all the answers but I do believe working together we have a better chance of making this pay.

The bookies are the enemy !

Comment

• Originally posted by Old Vic View Post
                None of us have all the answers but I do believe working together we have a better chance of making this pay.

The bookies are the enemy !
                Here Here!

Comment

• I must admit there does seem a lot more negativity on here this year. Like already said, it’s about pulling together and beating the bookies. This forum is great and very informative. We need to keep it that way and not go the way of several other social media sources

Comment

• Felix Desjy bounced back to winning ways when making all the running in the Sky Bet Moscow Flyer Novice Hurdle at Punchestown.

Won by some top-class youngsters such as Vautour, Douvan and Min in recent years, there did not appear to be anything of that calibre lining up on this occasion.

Felix Desjy (11-4) had shown some smart form in bumpers last year and finished sixth in the championship event at Cheltenham.

He started his career over hurdles with a win, but had met with defeat on his next three outings.

Bounced out by Sean Flanagan, replacing Davy Russell who had been stood down for the day with sore ribs, he came home five lengths clear of the field.

Jetez, trained by Jessica Harrington who handled Moscow Flyer so brilliantly through his career, came home best of the remainder but both of Willie Mullins’ runners, Harrie and Buildmeupbuttercup, disappointed.

“He disappointed us a few times, but we were dropping him in early on and I’d say it was the wrong way to ride him,” said Elliott.

“He likes striding along and jumps well. I thought it was a nice performance and Sean said he galloped the whole way to the line and didn’t stop, so we’re happy.

“I’d say the key to him is letting him stride along. He doesn’t have to make the running, it’s not essential, but he seems to be able to gallop them into the ground.

“He jumped very well. Keith (O’Donoghue) said the last day he was kind of backing off the Easyfix hurdles and didn’t jump great.

“He was very slick there today so we’re happy.

“That looks his trip. He was only beaten six or seven lengths in the bumper (at Cheltenham) last year and he’s a nice horse. He disappointed a bit early on over hurdles but, touch wood, he’s back on track now.

“He’s obviously in at the Dublin Racing Festival and we’ll have a look and see what happens there. He’ll probably go there and I’d imagine the Supreme Novices’ is where he’ll go now.”

Comment

• A lot of negativity regarding yesterday's perceived lack of quality in the race. But looking back on recent years, you normally get one supposed world beater and the rest are no better than yesterdays. Or have I missed something?

Comment

• RE – THE QUICK GRABIM INCIDENT
                        I thought I’d have my say.
                        The blunt comment made by Scooby on said horse, was in my opinion disrespectful and ill judged.
                        Disrespectful as it was made without care and thought for other forum members.
                        It is a fact that this has not been made public through official methods of communication.
                        It is a fact that many of us have bets, big and small on this horse, so this sort of comment, given the context and lack of any caveat is not helpful.
                        Scooby is also a professional punter, so will no doubt trade both as a backer and layer, and therefore comments like this could give rise to suspicion. I’m not saying or accusing anyone of anything with this, but it is possible, which is why more care should be taken when making comments like this.
                        I attempted to nip it in the bud and mildly admonish the ill-judged comment with a simple three letter word tit/tut.
                        It is completely natural for others to then continue to question Scooby and ask him to elaborate and clarify his comments, which I’m sure he had no problem doing.
                        I don’t think any of that is really slagging or unacceptable.
                        What was disappointing, was there was no real attempt at an apology, which I believe many of us having made the same ‘mistake’ would have offered. Again, in my rule book – a lack of respect. But maybe Scooby felt that adding more clarity to his original comment was sufficient, which is fair enough.
                        We also got many well-meaning attempts at conciliarity, although some came across a little sycophantic, to which others responded with an attempt at humour. Again, I personally had no problem with any of that.

With regards Scooby’s bets being published, I respect this, as it’s one million times better than after timing for sure. But it’s probably opening himself up too much as one or two mistakes cutting and pasting and adding and deleting (and odd bit of editing) and people are naturally going to question the integrity therein.
                        Again, I’m sure he has no problem, as Scooby’s done on numerous occasion’s already, responding to questions on this with ‘evidence’ as he calls it.
                        Scooby is a great contributor to this forum, although his communication style tales some adapting to for some, as does mine I’m sure, and other members for that matter. The unfortunate habit of stating opinion as fact and getting ahead of himself (due to his positive mindset) will no doubt cause some conversation on occasions.
                        Equally my attempts at sarcasm will not always be well received, but it’s well intentioned and I can take it too. Believe it or not I’m as bullish as Scooby in person, I just try to moderate myself a little in this context. I Just can’t help the sarky comments every now and then.
                        Anyhow, there endeth the sermon.
                        Good Luck one and all.

PS, bit longer than Tit/Tut, apologies.
                        Last edited by Quevega; 14 January 2019, 10:27 AM. Reason: ps

Comment

• Originally posted by quevega View Post
                          RE – THE QUICK GRABIM INCIDENT
                          I thought I’d have my say.
                          The blunt comment made by Scooby on said horse, was in my opinion disrespectful and ill judged.
                          Disrespectful as it was made without care and thought for other forum members.
                          It is a fact that this has not been made public through official methods of communication.
                          It is a fact that many of us have bets, big and small on this horse, so this sort of comment, given the context and lack of any caveat is not helpful.
                          Scooby is also a professional punter, so will no doubt trade both as a backer and layer, and therefore comments like this could give rise to suspicion. I’m not saying or accusing anyone of anything with this, but it is possible, which is why more care should be taken when making comments like this.
                          I attempted to nip it in the bud and mildly admonish the ill-judged comment with a simple three letter word tit/tut.
                          It is completely natural for others to then continue to question Scooby and ask him to elaborate and clarify his comments, which I’m sure he had no problem doing.
                          I don’t think any of that is really slagging or unacceptable.
                          What was disappointing, was there was no real attempt at an apology, which I believe many of us having made the same ‘mistake’ would have offered. Again, in my rule book – a lack of respect. But maybe Scooby felt that adding more clarity to his original comment was sufficient, which is fair enough.
                          We also got many well-meaning attempts at conciliarity, although some came across a little sycophantic, to which others responded with an attempt at humour. Again, I personally had no problem with any of that.

With regards Scooby’s bets being published, I respect this, as it’s one million times better than after timing for sure. But it’s probably opening himself up too much as one or two mistakes cutting and pasting and adding and deleting (and odd bit of editing) and people are naturally going to question the integrity therein.
                          Again, I’m sure he has no problem, as Scooby’s done on numerous occasion’s already, responding to questions on this with ‘evidence’ as he calls it.
                          Scooby is a great contributor to this forum, although his communication style tales some adapting to for some, as does mine I’m sure, and other members for that matter. The unfortunate habit of stating opinion as fact and getting ahead of himself (due to his positive mindset) will no doubt cause some conversation on occasions.
                          Equally my attempts at sarcasm will not always be well received, but it’s well intentioned and I can take it too. Believe it or not I’m as bullish as Scooby in person, I just try to moderate myself a little in this context. I Just can’t help the sarky comments every now and then.
                          Anyhow, there endeth the sermon.
                          Good Luck one and all.

PS, bit longer than Tit/Tut, apologies.
                          Lydia gets to the point in fewer words!

Comment

• Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                            Lydia gets to the point in fewer words!
                            I know, don't tell her, proper rambler when I get going me.

Comment

• I didn't find it particularly disrespectful myself- but everyone has their own views on things!

It's been put up on here numerous times that he hasn't been in the yard for a while now...

Comment

• The out for the season thread should probably be in the betting forum - we should be sharing juicer bits of info where they arent visible to every lurker.

With regards to info on horses plans change and horses disappoint - I have had "info" genuinely offered that just doesnt work out. FWIW I cashed out said horse based on Archie's earlier comments. You need to read between the lines at times.
                                Last edited by mayo; 14 January 2019, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X