Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Albert Bartlett 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Albert Bartlett 2019

My nearest miss of this years festival is probably one of my strongest fancies looking ahead into next years renewal. I followed Carefully Selected all last season after reading Jamie Codd's positive report on him in JTF 2017-18.

"A fine big horse by Well Chosen, who was with Ted Walsh, and Willie bought him in the May sale at Cheltenham. He is obviously going to a good home and i feel he has a nice future. He ran twice in (in PTP's) and looks like a horse that is going to improve, so don't be surprised to see this lad win a bumper for Willie. He won his PTP at Monksgrange and Katie Walsh speaks very highly of him"

His first bumper win was at the Leopardstown Christmas meeting over 2m 4f in soft ground and he made a good field look very ordinary, kicking for home on the turn in and winning going away from them all the way to the line. He looked a proper stayer in that race and the form has worked out very well indeed. The Big Dog (4th) and Master of Tara (6th) won next time and when the former went in at Naas, he beat Mount Pelier, who was runner-up in that Leopardstown race.

The third, Captain Cj, hasn’t run since, but the fifth, Lone Wolf, has. Lone Wolf was subsequently launched over flights in a Listed event at Punchestown last month and could hardly have performed any better in taking third behind Hardline, successful again in the meantime, and Riders Onthe Storm.

I don't think Willie felt he had the necessary speed for the champion bumper until he won over the distance at Naas next time out. He was ridden very prominently again and won as he wanted showing plenty of toe for a horse giving away weight to the rest of the field.

I couldn't have been more impressed with him next time out in the Champion Bumper despite getting done in the final strides. He led the field a merry dance doing everything but win, again being ridden aggressively to try take the finish out of the 'speed" horses in the soft conditions. It very nearly paid off!

On his last outing at Punchestown he most certainly didn't disgrace himself finishing a strong 3rd to his two stable mates Tornado Flyer and Blackbow who both looked far more suited to the trip.

The tactics the yard have employed with him in the 2m races last season tell me he's most definitely a stayer and the fact that he performed so well over 2m despite obviously needing further leads me to believe he has to have an excellent shout in the potato race. That coupled with his excellent record in PTP's. He's a big athletic type that should take to hurdles no bother, hopefully bringing further improvement provided he stays fit and well.

Willie's take on his future after his win at Leopardstown only furthers my confidence in him, even going as far as mentioning the Albert Bartlett as an obvious target 16 months out.

"I have to give him a crack at a winners' bumper rather than go hurdling now and chasing next year," Mullins said of Carefully Selected.

"He could be an Albert Bartlett horse for next year. That's the sort of road I'd be aiming at.

"There were a lot of fancied horses there and he made them look ordinary. He gallops all day and he's not the slowest horse either."

I know you take that with a pinch of salt given the 'Mullins Bingo' effect but to my eye it looks the obvious route for CS and I think 20/1 with Bet365 is a very fair price and I've had a nice e/w bet. Ted & Katie Walsh obviously think the world of him and who am i to argue.

Some good info on him in here....

Last edited by SeanRock; 21 September 2018, 08:49 PM.

You've mentioned this horse for a few months now Sean. I agreed with you then and think you've made some excellent points (again).

If he ends up in another race we'll have to take it on the chin - but you don't get much clearer regarding a target and even without Mullins' comments, the run style does scream out that he's one for the longer trips.

20/1 is a more than fair price.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
      You've mentioned this horse for a few months now Sean. I agreed with you then and think you've made some excellent points (again).

If he ends up in another race we'll have to take it on the chin - but you don't get much clearer regarding a target and even without Mullins' comments, the run style does scream out that he's one for the longer trips.

20/1 is a more than fair price.
      I’m fairly sweet on him alright Kev. I think he overachieved last season and surprised connections tbh. He reminds me a little of Bobs Worth actually. He has the talent/class to have an impact even over an obviously unsuitable trip!
      Last edited by SeanRock; 22 September 2018, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SeanRock View Post
        I’m fairly sweet on him alright Kev. I think he overachieved last season and surprised connections tbh. He reminds me a little of Bobs Worth actually. He has the talent/class to have an massive impact even over an obviously unsuitable trip!
        I personally think he's a ballymore horse all over and took the 25s accordingly. Imo his attributes are to sustain a strong gallop, ride him from the front give him a breather then kick again. He's a simular ride to Willoughby court in the race imo. But long way away
        Last edited by Scooby91; 22 September 2018, 06:08 AM.
        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

I won't be touching the Albert Bartlett this year!

Honestly.....

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
            I personally think he's a ballymore horse all over and took the 25s accordingly. Imo his attributes are to sustain a strong gallop, ride him from the front give him a breather then kick again. He's a simular ride to Willoughby court in the race imo. But long way away
            I hadn’t really considered the Ballymore tbh. He hasn’t showed me enough of a change of pace to convince me that’s the trip he needs going forward. To my eye looks an out in out relentless galloper. I remember Ruby saying you need a horse with a proper change of pace to win the Ballymore (even more so than the Supreme given the gallop they go from the post there). He also has no problems being switched off & sitting off the pace which will help in the AB.
            Last edited by SeanRock; 22 September 2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

I hadn’t really considered the Ballymore tbh. He hasn’t showed me enough of a change of pace to convince me that’s the trip he needs going forward. To my eye looks an out in out relentless galloper. I remember Ruby saying you need a horse with a proper change of pace to win the Ballymore (even more so than the Supreme given the gallop they go from the post there). He also has no problems being switched off & sitting off the pace which will help in the AB.
              Surprised at the Ballymore opinion Scooby when it's not a wild price. Not a flashy enough owner to be a Ballymore horse
              Carefully Selected to add to the long list of horses Ruby hasn't won an Albert BArtlett on instead?

Comment

I think 25s is a strong price to be Fair, (PP16s) he's not just a bumper horse, you know he can jump, and has the engine to match. He goes some clip in his races and gets them all at it behind, he'd never be able to sustain that for 3 miles, and settling him out the back loses the advantages he possesses imo. I think they thought early on he would have his limitations and categorised him as 1 for the bartlett then realised he's a proper horse

W P MullinsAfter race at*Leopardstown Wed, 27th Dec, 2017 (1st)**We bought him at the sales in Cheltenham after Katie Walsh recommended him highly to us. She was right and we're very pleased it worked out,. He looks an out-and-out stayer as they went a huge gallop. I have to give him a crack at a winners bumper rather than go hurdling now and chasing next year. He could be an Albert Bartlett horse for next year. That's the sort of road I'd be aiming at. There were a lot of fancied horses there and he made them look ordinary. He gallops all day and he's not the slowest horse either. I was very pleased with him.**W P Mullins

After race at*Naas Sun, 25th Feb, 2018 (1st)**He's improved since Christmas. He did it the hard way and did it well,. He's just bought a ticket, I'd say, to go across the water on that performance. We'll see how he comes out of it. He's certainly gone on the short list now. After winning at two-and-a-half I wasn't so sure that he would be able to switch back to two on drier ground. It shows that he's better than I thought he was at Christmas.**

"Carefully Selected booked his place by winning at the weekend but Patrick said he always had his place booked! He dropped back in trip but was very good. I’m not sure who he will ride there"
                Last edited by Scooby91; 24 September 2018, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I'll do the same I did this year. Pick an experienced horse with a few 1s who is 16/1 or over (agonisingly picked Poetic Rhythmn over Kilbricken having seen them live at Newbury and liked both, but was on Kilbricken Storm then!)

Comment

Do you not think riding him from the front in the Ballymore might leave him open to being picked off going up the hill by something coming off the pace. As is usually the case in the Ballymore. I know Willoughby Court is the exception to that rule in recent years but he's proven to really not enjoy being switched off the pace and seems to need to be ridden from the front. I think CS showed at Leopardstown he doesn't need that prominent style of riding to still be seen at his best.

To me it looks like Willie has previously targeted the Neptune in the main with horses that have plenty of gears & have shown a real turn of foot as bumpers/novices in Faugheen, Nichols Canyon, Yorkhill etc. Imo Carefully Selected looks like more of a top quality diesel engine that will gallop all day at a right lick as opposed to the many sporty turbo types Mullins will have at his disposal.

It's very early days anyway he hasn't even jumped a hurdle yet, plenty of water to pass under the bridge before we get to the festival. He's to keep onside tho, thats for sure.
                    Last edited by SeanRock; 24 September 2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Do you not think riding him from the front in the Ballymore might leave him open to being picked off going up the hill by something coming off the pace. As is usually the case in the Ballymore. I know Willoughby Court is the exception to that rule in recent years but he's proven to really not enjoy being switched off the pace and seems to need to be ridden from the front. I think CS showed at Leopardstown he doesn't need that prominent style of riding to still be seen at his best.

To me it looks like Willie has previously targeted the Neptune in the main with horses that have loads of gears
                      & have shown a real turn of foot as bumpers/novices in Faugheen, Nichols Canyon, Yorkhill etc. Imo Carefully Selected looks like a more of a top quality diesel engine that will gallop all day at a right lick as opposed to the many sporty turbo types Mullins will have at his disposal.

It's very early days anyway he hasn't even jumped a hurdle yet, plenty of water to pass under the bridge before we get to the festival. He's to keep onside tho, thats for sure.
                      Yes exactly I could well be wrong, just my intuition at the moment. And backed accordingly the same as yourself, I'll look forward to seeing him jump a hurdle anyway this season, win his maiden and hopefully go on from there

Comment

Yes exactly I could well be wrong, just my intuition at the moment. And backed accordingly the same as yourself, I'll look forward to seeing him jump a hurdle anyway this season, win his maiden and hopefully go on from there
                        Snap! I could be wrong myself sure wouldn't racing be boring if we all had the same opinions. What I am confident on is one of us is right and he won't be going for the Supreme (cue him lining up at the starting post the Tuesday next March)

Comment

Snap! I could be wrong myself sure wouldn't racing be boring if we all had the same opinions. What I am confident on is one of us is right and he won't be going for the Supreme (cue him lining up at the starting post the Tuesday next March)
                          He did run Bellshill in the Supreme and time suggests that was the complete wrong trip

Comment

I've backed Gosheven at 50/1 1.5 pts e/w with 365 for this race this evening.

Jocked up for Chepstow on Sunday with Richard Johnson aboard. That race has been won in the past by Reve De Sivola, Silviniaco Conti, Blaklion, Poetic Rhythm last season and Hobbs has won it before with Fingal Bay in 2011.

Wouldn't need to win this race for me and he isn't one I think will shorten a lot but I think he'll progress nicely through the season.

Comment

I like the two Rooney horses- Time To Move On and Good Boy Bobby - for this (as mentioned on the 'horse to look forward to thread). The other two I like are Gallahers Cross and Seddon.

Gallahers Cross - Nicky Henderson
                              He has won a PTP and an impressive bumper winner in Ireland which saw him bought and moved to Henderson. He only ran once after his move in a hot bumper at Ascot where he travlled nicely for a long way and then stayed on well to be 4th. Henderson has already said he'd need 2 and a half miles over hurdles and given the fact he'll be 7 come the festival, I can see him being more competitive in the Albert Bartlett than the Ballymore.

Seddon - Tom George
                              Although I don't like to blindly follow history, this horse could progress along similar lines to The Worlds End for Tom George. He was a late debutant in his bumper (February) before going on to run in the Champion bumper where he travelled lovely before fading up the run in. He was one of the least experienced horses in the race so I can overlook that. His link to The Worlds End, who may have gone close to winning this race but for a fall, are not just his connections but also breeding. His sire Stowaway I feel produces better horses over a trip even though Champagne Fever did win a Supreme. Seddon is similarly out of a Beneficial mare so there is stamina on both sides. With more experience this season I think he'll go under the radar and this race could be his ultimate target.

Comment

Working...
                              X