Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Owners Group

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners Group

Not sure if any/many would have heard of this but it's a (huge) syndicate aimed at small investors, shares around £55 each covering one year.

I haven't played but a mate did and he needed a driver to get to the Alan King open day/stable tour today at Barbury Castle.
    His horse is a French bred 4yo, Jaboticaba who ran 2/3 times last season but still a maiden.

The reason I post this is that I had extremely low expectations of the day; 200 punters descending on Kings yard would be a massive inconvenience to the operation so I assumed access would be restricted and that he would have gophers providing info, it couldn't have been further from the truth.

King was helpful, informative, and allowed unrestricted access throughout the yard, gallops and equine/rehab centre, he provided updates on several of his horses and couldn't have been a better host.

So if anyone sees an advert for this syndicate and has an interest in joining, I wouldn't run away with the idea that you will get be owning a Champion Hurdle winner but if it's something you would like to do you will get the opportunity be enjoy a fantastic look behind the scenes at one of the country's biggest yards.

People we met also had shares in horses with Paul Nicholls and said he was just as accommodating....

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
    Not sure if any/many would have heard of this but it's a (huge) syndicate aimed at small investors, shares around £55 each covering one year.

I haven't played but a mate did and he needed a driver to get to the Alan King open day/stable tour today at Barbury Castle.
    His horse is a French bred 4yo, Jaboticaba who ran 2/3 times last season but still a maiden.

The reason I post this is that I had extremely low expectations of the day; 200 punters descending on Kings yard would be a massive inconvenience to the operation so I assumed access would be restricted and that he would have gophers providing info, it couldn't have been further from the truth.

King was helpful, informative, and allowed unrestricted access throughout the yard, gallops and equine/rehab centre, he provided updates on several of his horses and couldn't have been a better host.

So if anyone sees an advert for this syndicate and has an interest in joining, I wouldn't run away with the idea that you will get be owning a Champion Hurdle winner but if it's something you would like to do you will get the opportunity be enjoy a fantastic look behind the scenes at one of the country's biggest yards.

People we met also had shares in horses with Paul Nicholls and said he was just as accommodating....
    Interesting stuff isty, there's an idea, the Fat jockey owners club, could be backing our own runner at the fez.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
      Interesting stuff isty, there's an idea, the Fat jockey owners club, could be backing our own runner at the fez.
      Now wouldn't that be fantastic

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
        Originally posted by ryanh97 View Post
        Now wouldn't that be fantastic
        +1 ..... how many do we need?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          +1 ..... how many do we need?
          I'm also interested in getting into ownership..... Although not sure what the Mrs would say

Comment

What a great idea ! I have been looking into ownership lately

Comment

About a month ago, I bought one share (!) in Parody (Paul Nicholls) for just over £50 - just to see what the experience is like.

That buys you one years worth of ownership (until August '19) and it seems that the renewal price for the following year is lower (circa 60%).
              Not expecting to have a big winner, but it is something that I would consider doing more of.

Early days, so can't really feedback any more than that at the moment.

Comment

It will be interesting to hear how you get on, Leman. Best of luck with it.

A good way of getting into it at a throwaway price. A share is only 0.0333% but the size of the share has, in my experience, very little connection to the pride and enjoyment of seeing 'your' horse on the track.
                Of course, Paul N takes a financial hit with the upfront purchase but it's a handsome return if he can sell enough shares. I had a look at one that's up at the moment, a Yeats 3yo filly called Sabrina. Bought in June for 52k euro. A share in her is only £55 and covers all costs until the agreement termination in October 2019. What it means is that Paul may get as much as £100k for training her when his normal training fee would probably have made him around £40k. Good luck to him because he'll be bringing new people in to the game.

If anyone asks my advice about Supreme, I guide them towards leasing rather than buying in the first instance. They regularly have fillies from good breeders who take them back at the end of their racing career in the hope that they have acquired value as a broodmare. No upfront purchase but no sale value at the end. Essentially, you only pay for racing costs and receive racing returns so there is less risk and you know absolutely your maximum exposure.
                The lowest they go down to is usually 1% which will set you back £26 per month.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                  I had a look at one that's up at the moment, a Yeats 3yo filly called Sabrina. Bought in June for 52k euro. A share in her is only £55 and covers all costs until the agreement termination in October 2019.
                  The same friend who bought shares in Jaboticaba has invested in this one as well, as you say £55 is hardly a sum to break you and I know he wants to visit PNs yard so sees the small outlaw as value....

Comment

I’m interested by the presenting mare on the supreme racing club syndicate available at the moment. £130 PM for 5% no upfront fees

Comment

Anyone got experiences with Middleham Park. Good or bad?

Comment

A good way of getting into it at a throwaway price. A share is only 0.0333% but the size of the share has, in my experience, very little connection to the pride and enjoyment of seeing 'your' horse on the track.
                        Of course, Paul N takes a financial hit with the upfront purchase but it's a handsome return if he can sell enough shares. I had a look at one that's up at the moment, a Yeats 3yo filly called Sabrina. Bought in June for 52k euro. A share in her is only £55 and covers all costs until the agreement termination in October 2019. What it means is that Paul may get as much as £100k for training her when his normal training fee would probably have made him around £40k. Good luck to him because he'll be bringing new people in to the game.

If anyone asks my advice about Supreme, I guide them towards leasing rather than buying in the first instance. They regularly have fillies from good breeders who take them back at the end of their racing career in the hope that they have acquired value as a broodmare. No upfront purchase but no sale value at the end. Essentially, you only pay for racing costs and receive racing returns so there is less risk and you know absolutely your maximum exposure.
                        The lowest they go down to is usually 1% which will set you back £26 per month.
                        Thanks Archie
                        That's mainly the reason I thought that I'd give it a go!
                        I don't have £000's to splash around (until one of the Forum Yankees comes in!) so worth spending £54 to find out.
                        I'm obviously not it it for the money (splitting any winnings 3000 ways!) but just for a taste of what ownership feels like.
                        Would be good to get to an Open-Day as well (not done one before) as well as going to watch "your own" horse run.

Will keep you all posted

Comment

Why not buy all your friends and family an annual ownership with Owners Group for Christmas.
                          Like having your own little stable, and you can renew each year for them.
                          Obviously they may prefer something for themselves, but I've never let that stop me.

Comment

I know someone who has been involved with Owner's Group- i believe with Champagne Express (i think that's the name). Though i din't hear how it went!

I am in Supreme with Listen Dear+ another ( which is heading to sale as broodmare as injured)......been lucky with LD indeed as first horse. One thing i will say is don't just jump in....make a thorough judgment even if it sounds "cheap".

Comment

First entries for "Parody" in a couple of Bumpers on Friday and Saturday.
                              Can't make it to either course, but looking forward to having a runner!!

Comment

Working...
                              X