Page 1 of 43 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Top Amateur

Queen Mother Champion Chase 2019

I rewatched Altoirs QMCC this year and the power and effort coming up the hill was monsterous.

One thing that did come to mind was the ease min rose up to come round the bend, altior was off the bridle a long way out and fair play to Nico to instrument that continued performance. Now I havenít looked at the time of the race but considering altior was off the bridle so early, could we see a step up in trip this year?

I know there were suggestions after Cheltenham of being stepped up as a test before the summer break but from what I recall they were shelved due to ground/ time to recover after Cheltenham.

I checked skybet and current odds are:
    12/1 Ryanair
    33/1 Gc

There was talk in the media of stepping him up in trip, even talking about the King George as an ideal race, but he won the Champion Chase by 7 lengths or thereabouts so why would you?

He isn't going from Champion Chase winner to Ryanair the following season. Not a chance.

Top Amateur
    Footpad is way better than Min.

Quote Originally Posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    There was talk in the media of stepping him up in trip, even talking about the King George as an ideal race, but he won the Champion Chase by 7 lengths or thereabouts so why would you?

He isn't going from Champion Chase winner to Ryanair the following season. Not a chance.
    Correct - they MIGHT take in the Bowl this year do you think as an experiement. They don't need to but he's got nothing to prove at 2m either? I'd love to see it AWAY from Cheltenham...

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Correct. I think they'll meet this season - if I was the trainer (and archie feel free to pass my wisdom on to Willie) - I'd use Footpad versus Min as a bit of a sighter. Footpad would need to show he's better than Min and then we can start dreaming of the clash at Cheltenham. There isn't many things more exciting than two mile chasers out of the top drawer going at it!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Correct - they MIGHT take in the Bowl this year do you think as an experiement. They don't need to but he's got nothing to prove at 2m either? I'd love to see it AWAY from Cheltenham..
    Do you mean the Melling Kev? Surely much more likely than the Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    Do you mean the Melling Kev? Surely much more likely than the Bowl.
    Yes, I absolutely meant the Melling.

I've not even opened the rum yet either.... what nonsense will I be spouting in a few hours if I am making school boy errors like this now

Top Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    Yes, I absolutely meant the Melling.

I've not even opened the rum yet either.... what nonsense will I be spouting in a few hours if I am making school boy errors like this now
    'Altior to beat Footpad'?

Quote Originally Posted by archie View Post
    Agreed Archie. Not sure anyone will pull you up on that comment.

Top Amateur
    If I was giving Willie advice, it would be QM - Footpad, Ryanair - Min, Douvan - KG & Gold Cup.

I'm hoping to stay at his local next month so I'll pass that on if I see him.

Top Amateur
    Henderson should have put Altior in the smelling this past year, that would have set up a King George attempt this year and then you can possibly have a crack at GC as a9yr old

Now that didn’t happen I don’t see him stepping up to 3m at all even for the King George, they won’t go from 2m straight to it and as has been mentioned beforehand I don’t see Altior taking in the Ryanair at any point in his career.

I just hope one of Douvan or Footpad make it to Cheltenham along with Altior fully flying, we’ve had three world class 2m chasers over the last 6-7 years and not seen one show down between any of them