Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Arkle 2019

Quote Originally Posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
    I see there has been the main focus on the Supreme/Ballymore runners, but does anyone feel we are missing a trick ignoring the Triumph horses?
    In short, no - not missing a trick at all - it jsut isn't a relevant race/division for the following years novice chasers.

2010 - No 5 year olds
    2011 - No 5 year olds
    2012 - No 5 year olds
    2013 - 1x 5 year old - His Excellency (D.Pipe) - was 8th in the Triumph at 100/1 the year before and came 3rd to Simonsig at 80/1
    2014 - No 5 year olds
    2015 - 1x 5 Year Old - Clarcam - Fell in the Fred Winter the year before 8th in the Arkle
    2016 - No 5 year olds
    2017 - No 5 year olds
    2018 - 1x 5 year old - Saint Calvados - "famously" out of the places this year but didn't race as a juvenile in the UK.

Wouldn't spend any time on it this year CoD... I remember Hobbs saying Defi Du Seuil could be an Arkle horse after he ran although that changed fairly quickly beofre he ultimately didn't make the step up the next year anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevloaf View Post
    In short, no - not missing a trick at all - it jsut isn't a relevant race/division for the following years novice chasers.

2010 - No 5 year olds
    2011 - No 5 year olds
    2012 - No 5 year olds
    2013 - 1x 5 year old - His Excellency (D.Pipe) - was 8th in the Triumph at 100/1 the year before and came 3rd to Simonsig at 80/1
    2014 - No 5 year olds
    2015 - 1x 5 Year Old - Clarcam - Fell in the Fred Winter the year before 8th in the Arkle
    2016 - No 5 year olds
    2017 - No 5 year olds
    2018 - 1x 5 year old - Saint Calvados - "famously" out of the places this year but didn't race as a juvenile in the UK.

Wouldn't spend any time on it this year CoD... I remember Hobbs saying Defi Du Seuil could be an Arkle horse after he ran although that changed fairly quickly beofre he ultimately didn't make the step up the next year anyway.
    I did a brief history search and can see that indeed it is not a race to back a 5 year old so can see why the Triumph can be disregarded. That said, some interesting ones for the following season

Triumph - stamina sapping 2m 1f race on stiff New Course for 4yo
    Arkle - quickets novice chase on calendar over 2m on far easier Old Course

I came to the conclusion many years ago that any horse that runs well in the Triumph will never have the speed to win over the minimum trip, they are far more likely to show well in the Stayers than the Champion, and if they go chasing more chance they go onto become Gold Cup than Champion chase horses...

Footpad the exception here, but he was a year older I suppose.

Thanks guys, I think I have seen the light, no more wasted time on the Triumph horses for this race.

Quote Originally Posted by ComplyOrDie View Post
    I did a brief history search and can see that indeed it is not a race to back a 5 year old so can see why the Triumph can be disregarded. That said, some interesting ones for the following season
    Yeah certainly interesting but I am quite negative on all the 4yo's the next season. I've seen too many not make the jump up in required grade even in my short ten-ish years that I've gone lukewarm on them all.

I tend to overrate bumper horses too in general. Not that it matters in the Arkle thread!

ALways good to look for new angles though CoD - even if you test a theory and prove its wrong, its not wasted

Quote Originally Posted by Innoko View Post
    Footpad the exception here, but he was a year older I suppose.
    Our Conor to
    But I wouldn’t touch triumph horse with a 10 foot pole the year after

Does seem like Defi Du Seuil is going novice chasing this year.

Big difference between his and Footpads second season over hurdles.

Won’t be a play for me unless I see him beat something with a pulse