Page 1 of 230 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Arkle 2019

Top Amateur

Arkle 2019

Anyone got any suggestions who might run in this, I accept Kalshnikov cud run but struggling to find one i think will run, it looks ready made for a bet if I can find one.
    Melon and Mengali Khan could be possibles but anyone got any other suggestions

Cheers

It's an uninspiring list when you go through them on Oddschecker.

Top Amateur
    Laurina would be the one that stands out at 14-1...

Be interesting to hear what Willie says about her in any upcoming stable tours.

Top Amateur
    The Mullins stable tour is usually towards the end of October which fits in with the winter horses coming back in around Galway time.

I've never really felt the love for Mengli Khan and Paloma Blue. End of season form makes Draconien an interesting project but I don't have a clue which path he will take.

I had originally though Kalashnikov would have gone up in trip and end up contesting the JLT (where the 25/1 is huge) but the more I look at the market, the more I think otherwise, particularly when you focus in on the English horses. I don't think there's any doubt he will be tried over 2 miles in his first start(s) and when you factor in who could be contesting the key English trials against him...

Vision Des Flos
    Defi Du Seuil
    Claimantakinforgan
    Charli Parcs
    Vision Des Flos
    Slate House

I struggle to see him having too much to fear in that group and that would be clutching at straws for opposition (at least this far out with many plans unknown). Unless he does a Finians Oscar and gets taken off his feet over 2 miles (seems unlikely as he's only contested races over that trip in his career to date, where as Finians Oscar ran mainly over further with just 2 weak 2 mile runs to his name) I can see them keeping him at 2 miles and aiming for this race as i'm not sure the races prior to the festival will force their hand to step him up.
    Anyone who got the 14/1 for Kalashnikov is in a potentially good position already.

You'd hope one of the Tizzard horses could make a decent claim to at least feature.

He looked gone at the game last year and I'm loathe to use his juvenile form as a reason to back but clutching at straws...Defi Du Seuil...IF Hobbs could get him right again this season at 33/1? The Arkle was touted last season where I think he was 10/1 joint fav for much of the summer but they decided to stay hurdling. After last season it wouldn't surprise me to see them try their luck over fences with him - especially as he's somehow still rated 157 over hurdles which probably takes the idea of handicap out of the window imo. Hobbs had a horrible season last year where he had just the 63 winners (lowest # winners since 12/13, lowest prize money since 98/99). Couldn't touch him right now but i'm keen to hear the vibes coming out of the stable and what the plan is with him. Could be one to back during his seasonal debut if he is running well during the race.

The Irish divison is definately deeper but even then there's probably not too many jumping out bar the obvious (MK and PB) if the suggestions that both Samcro and Laurina will bypass the race

The hope would be Footpad came out of the blue last year to dominate the 2mile novice chase division. Can't remember many if anyone flagging him up this time last year.

One thing for sure I'm pretty sure we'll be having a single digit field size once again come March!
    Last edited by jono; 09-06-2018 at 07:07 PM.

Going through the market, here’s my thoughts:
    Samcro 7/1 - Won’t Run. JLT/CH bound.
    Kalshnikov 8/1 - 50/50. Here or JLT.
    Melon 12/1 - Won’t Run. CH bound.
    Laurina 14/1 - Probably won’t run. Had a few quid for her at 14s but suspect she will go Mares Hurdle.
    Summerville Boy 20/1 - Won’t Run. CH bound.
    Black OP 20/1 - Probably won’t Run. JLT most likely.
    If The Cap Fits 20/1 - Probably wont run. CH bound.
    Getabird 25/1 - I think he will Run. Not reliable enough for me to back though.
    Mengli Khan 25/1 - Will Run. Going chasing over 2m this season. Most certain of any to run. Decent yardstick.
    Defi De Seuill 25/1 - 50/50. No idea what’s up with the horse last season. Dangerous if back to beat.

So that leaves only Mengli Khan as a definite in my opinion based on trainer comments. I expect Getabird to go here too but that’s onky a hunch. Laurina and Kalashnikov would be favourites if sent here and Samcro goes to elsewhere (as is expected).

Even at this stage, it looks like it could end up being a smallish field again.

Top Amateur
    Quote Originally Posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
    Going through the market, here’s my thoughts:
    Samcro 7/1 - Won’t Run. JLT/CH bound.
    Kalshnikov 8/1 - 50/50. Here or JLT.
    Melon 12/1 - Won’t Run. CH bound.
    Laurina 14/1 - Probably won’t run. Had a few quid for her at 14s but suspect she will go Mares Hurdle.
    Summerville Boy 20/1 - Won’t Run. CH bound.
    Black OP 20/1 - Probably won’t Run. JLT most likely.
    If The Cap Fits 20/1 - Probably wont run. CH bound.
    Getabird 25/1 - I think he will Run. Not reliable enough for me to back though.
    Mengli Khan 25/1 - Will Run. Going chasing over 2m this season. Most certain of any to run. Decent yardstick.
    Defi De Seuill 25/1 - 50/50. No idea what’s up with the horse last season. Dangerous if back to beat.

So that leaves only Mengli Khan as a definite in my opinion based on trainer comments. I expect Getabird to go here too but that’s onky a hunch. Laurina and Kalashnikov would be favourites if sent here and Samcro goes to elsewhere (as is expected).

Even at this stage, it looks like it could end up being a smallish field again.
    I really like defi when a juvenile, not sure on having the frame and scope to jump fences thou... seeing defi in person never gave me the impressive of a fences type

Quote Originally Posted by thistlecracker View Post
    I really like defi when a juvenile, not sure on having the frame and scope to jump fences thou... seeing defi in person never gave me the impressive of a fences type
    I was a big fan of him as a juvenile too. Still find it funny (in hindsight) that many preferred Charli Parcs over him for the triumph pretty much all year.

He looked lost last year so it might not matter where he runs tbh.

We’ve covered this many times but if Defi was to win an Arkle he would have to be one of the most talented and versatile horses in history.
    horses who have the extreme stamina needed to get the extended hill over 17f on the New Course as 4 year olds are extremely unlikely to have the speed needed to win an Arkle on the much easier/speedier Old Course over 16f, so he’s one I’d scrub immediately.
    Menglai Khan would appeal most at the prices...

Top Amateur
    I like Menglia but. I backed it for any race and still think there’s a lurker out there but can’t find it YET. But I hope I do