Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Cartmel is beautiful, always caters for families, mostly racing fans make the trip because it's not the most accessible.

Top Amateur
    It has to be Goodwood - the August Bank Holiday meeting - been going to it every year since 2006. First went as I had load of Marriott points having worked in India - so free stay at the Goodwood hotel & a mate who works for the tote who sponsored the celebration mile - they used to let staff apply for the free sponsor badges & not many in Wigan wanted to go to Sussex - so happy days! Truly is the most beautiful course - still go now with the family & having to pay - look forward to that as much as Cheltenham Tuesday!

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
    Cartmel is beautiful, always caters for families, mostly racing fans make the trip because it's not the most accessible.
    On my bucket list.

at the other end of scale Ascot for NH is a good day out.

7lb Claimer
    I've done 31 of the 60 GB courses so far and even speaking as a slightly biased local, I would say there is little to match the York Dante meet on a nice day. Superb racecourse, great racing, no queues and a good, friendly atmosphere before the rest of the season is marred by the bus after bus load of attendees who on the whole wouldn't know a horse if it punched them in the face in Newcastle city centre.

I would never put anyone off visiting Cheltenham for the Gold Cup as it's an obvious tick for any fan, but the first 2 days of the festival are the best in my opinion. The first day in particular is akin to 60,000 overgrown children stumbling upon a sweet shop, the atmosphere is just brilliant and you can move around well enough. Gold Cup day sees a markedly different atmosphere and a lot more of the 'banter boy' crowd.

The worst i've experienced is Newmarket on 2000 Guineas day. Perhaps I was unlucky, but it appeared to be a racecourse with absolutely nowhere near enough facilities to handle a big crowd, queues were ridiculous and it was a seriously disappointing experience.

Of the others visited so far, i've enjoyed most but Kelso, Ludlow, Fontwell Park, Chepstow and Pontefract (evening meet) all spring to mind as worthy of mention. If scenery is your thing, the backdrop to racing at Hexham is absolutely stunning.

Welcome Jorvik.
    I'm with you on Newmarket, grandstand set back from course, a virtually straight 2 mile course, one of my least favourite courses.
    I'm surprised you give Ludlow a positive mention, pig to get to for most, higher entrance costs than most and even then you can't get in the main stand as it's members only.
    That said, a bad day at the races is better than a good day in the office....

7lb Claimer
    Quote Originally Posted by Istabraq View Post
    I'm surprised you give Ludlow a positive mention, pig to get to for most, higher entrance costs than most and even then you can't get in the main stand as it's members only.
    That said, a bad day at the races is better than a good day in the office....
    I just enjoyed it and found it a quirky little course. Scenic, train line along the back of the stands, rooftops to watch racing from, even the toilets were noteworthy! Can't remember off the top of my head what I paid as I just got my ticket on the day, but it was for whatever the 'Premier' normal everyday punters ticket was and it got me the rooftop views I was looking to tick off!