Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Best English race meetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best English race meetings

What would you guys say are the best English race meetings to go to? I'm trying to get to a few more meetings and would like some opinions from the well-travelled members here.

I enjoy a cold wet afternoon at Plumton and The Rasen as much as I do Sandown and Ascot meetings.
    Get to the lot ryan, each course has its’ own character and every day at the races beats a day in the office....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
      I enjoy a cold wet afternoon at Plumton and The Rasen as much as I do Sandown and Ascot meetings.
      Get to the lot ryan, each course has its’ own character and every day at the races beats a day in the office....
      Isn't that the truth Ista!! I'm looking at the Betfair meeting atm

Comment

The Fillies Mile raceday on the Friday of Future Chanpions Weekend is a good one. A decent heritage handicap, a decent couple of group races plus the Group 1 Fillies Mile. It’s a very decent card, busy (without being rammed), and has a good racing crowd. If I’m home from Uni at the time, I’ll go again this year.

Obviously Royal Ascot and the Derby are big events. Not sure they are for the purists particularly though - lots of people there for the day rather than the racing or horses.

Of course none of these are anywhere near the big week in March though. Nothing gets near the festival in my opinion.

Comment

And that MoM is the difference between NH and Flat.
          Racing enthusiasts are (often) the minority at Ascot and York whereas the 2000 people at Stratford will know the game inside out.
          Maybe it’s the weather that attracts them to big flat meetings and there are plenty who remain in a champagne bar without seeing a horse all day....

Comment

I quite like the first meeting of the season at Cheltenham , Probably because , Like you say Ista ,
            mostly real racing fans , and the Anticipation of what's to come
            for the season .

Comment

Aintree is almost on a par with Cheltenham for me.

On the flat I'd highly recommend going to the first day of the Ebor meeting. A brilliant track and top class racing (juddmonte, voltiger) but without the Saturday crowd.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                I quite like the first meeting of the season at Cheltenham , Probably because , Like you say Ista ,
                mostly real racing fans , and the Anticipation of what's to come
                for the season .
                My missus' parents go to the Friday every year, they love it, quiet enough but some great racing

Comment

From my small experience Chester has been my favourite flat track, small but unique. Never wait more than 10 minutes at the bar, you’d an take drinks outside which I’ve been stopped doing at Ascot and York.

I’ve not been to too many NH tracks but Tuesday at cheletnham id my favourite day of the year, and over the years I’ve been going there’s been visible improvements with things like the toilet wait! Hoping to take in the Betfair Chase at Haydock this year though

Comment

I was just looking at the November meeting Sunday, has anybody here been? 3 grade 2s and a Grade 3, not a bad days racing

Comment

Cartmel is beautiful, always caters for families, mostly racing fans make the trip because it's not the most accessible.

Comment

It has to be Goodwood - the August Bank Holiday meeting - been going to it every year since 2006. First went as I had load of Marriott points having worked in India - so free stay at the Goodwood hotel & a mate who works for the tote who sponsored the celebration mile - they used to let staff apply for the free sponsor badges & not many in Wigan wanted to go to Sussex - so happy days! Truly is the most beautiful course - still go now with the family & having to pay - look forward to that as much as Cheltenham Tuesday!

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                          Cartmel is beautiful, always caters for families, mostly racing fans make the trip because it's not the most accessible.
                          On my bucket list.

at the other end of scale Ascot for NH is a good day out.

Comment

I've done 31 of the 60 GB courses so far and even speaking as a slightly biased local, I would say there is little to match the York Dante meet on a nice day. Superb racecourse, great racing, no queues and a good, friendly atmosphere before the rest of the season is marred by the bus after bus load of attendees who on the whole wouldn't know a horse if it punched them in the face in Newcastle city centre.

I would never put anyone off visiting Cheltenham for the Gold Cup as it's an obvious tick for any fan, but the first 2 days of the festival are the best in my opinion. The first day in particular is akin to 60,000 overgrown children stumbling upon a sweet shop, the atmosphere is just brilliant and you can move around well enough. Gold Cup day sees a markedly different atmosphere and a lot more of the 'banter boy' crowd.

The worst i've experienced is Newmarket on 2000 Guineas day. Perhaps I was unlucky, but it appeared to be a racecourse with absolutely nowhere near enough facilities to handle a big crowd, queues were ridiculous and it was a seriously disappointing experience.

Of the others visited so far, i've enjoyed most but Kelso, Ludlow, Fontwell Park, Chepstow and Pontefract (evening meet) all spring to mind as worthy of mention. If scenery is your thing, the backdrop to racing at Hexham is absolutely stunning.

Comment

Welcome Jorvik.
                              I'm with you on Newmarket, grandstand set back from course, a virtually straight 2 mile course, one of my least favourite courses.
                              I'm surprised you give Ludlow a positive mention, pig to get to for most, higher entrance costs than most and even then you can't get in the main stand as it's members only.
                              That said, a bad day at the races is better than a good day in the office....

Comment

Working...
                              X