Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

August Festival Yankee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    I think the RSA being too hard on novices is a myth. A serious amount of good horses come out of that race year after year.
    I was of the same opinion previously FM but the last two renewals have been won by "2nd season novices" be it after hurdle or chase campaigns and Nicholls' horse has a similar profile imo.

Comment

I like Top of the Game as well Sean, in fact backed him for the RSA last season. I just think too much is made of the RSA being tough on the novices.

Comment

I think the RSA being too hard on novices is a myth. A serious amount of good horses come out of that race year after year.
        Back in the day the RSA was brutal, 20+ novices with birch flying everywhere, the introduction of the JLT has reduced the field size considerably so becomes a better race with fewer hard luck stories.
        I have no stats to support this but single figure RSA’s appear to be becoming the norm, no reason to shy away from the race and nothing to scare the Samcro camp though like a few others I think JLT will be the target....

Comment

How about a Gigginstown lucky 15/yankee?
          Im thinking Samcro JLT,Mengli khan Arkle,Death Duty Any race and Apples Jade stayers?
          Last edited by somer1; 5 August 2018, 04:15 PM.

Comment

I have no issue whatsoever with horses coming out of the RSA. Horses who ran in the RSA over the last few years and what they did the following year:

Might Bite - won the King George, Aintree Bowl and 2nd in the Gold Cup
            Whisper - won the Ladbroke Trophy
            Belshill - went onto win the Irish National

Blaklion - 4th in the National, won the Becher
            Shaneshill
            More of That

Don Poli - 3rd in the Gold Cup, 2nd in Aintree Bowl
            Southfield Theatre
            Wounded Warrior

O'Faolins Boy
            Smad Place - won the Hennessy (2 years after)
            Mornign Assembly

Lord Windermere - won the Gold Cup
            Lyrren Legend
            Hadrians Approach

Bobs Worth - won the Gold Cup
            First Lieutenant - 2nd in the Ryanair, won the Aintree Mildmay
            Call The Police

Obviously there will be some that don't go onto achieve much as is the case with all races but that to me is an incredible record.

Agree with Sean that the price for Topofthegame is too big. I re-watched his Newbury chase debut and I forgot that I was actually really taken with his debut up until the point where he fell. Has plenty in his favour even in a division that right now on paper looks full of depth.

Comment

Originally posted by somer1 View Post
              How about a Gigginstown lucky 15/yankee?
              Im thinking Samcro JLT,Mengli khan Arkle,Death Duty Any race and Apples Jade stayers?
              I suggested something along these lines but with Davy Russell.

I’d be interested in Commander of Fleet in the Ballymore, I just think that is his race. Gordy/Gigginstown have gone off the potato race for their better horses.

Comment

RSA winners and place records in the Gold Cup is preeeeeety strong. Basically my go to for a Gold CUp bet each year

Comment

How sure are we that Apples jade will go for the Stayers hdl. ?? .

Comment

My suggestion for this months Yankee is Next Destination . - R.s.a chase . 12-1 w.hills ,10-1 the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                      How sure are we that Apples jade will go for the Stayers hdl. ?? .
                      You can say that about any horse this far out BC

Comment

I'll be surprised if AJ runs at Cheltenham again, that right jumping tedency seems to be getting worse.
                        With a view to the Giggi possibility, can you have an any race choice in a multi bet? wouldn't have thought so, think Kev may have done something with Coral though, problem would arise if the race choice was one that you have selected another horse in, would the whole bet then be void?
                        Last edited by MrMcGoldrick; 6 August 2018, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                          I'll be surprised if AJ runs at Cheltenham again, that right jumping tedency seems to be getting worse.
                          With a view to the Giggi possibility, can you have an any race choice in a multi bet? wouldn't have thought so, think Kev may have done something with Coral though, problem would arise if the race choice was one that you have selected another horse in, would the whole bet then be void?
                          Yeah I have with Coral, and I believe it still runs but obviously one WILL lose (obviously) unless they dead heated

If The Cap Fits and Topofthegame I'd be more than happy with at this stage altrhough can certainly see why Next Destination would be popular.

Could throw jono's Bacardys into the mix at 33/1?

Comment

I put this up on the other thread summarising the Yankees so far but may as well copy it to this thread too.

Thought it might be useful to see which horses and which races we’ve selected most.

Horses chosen:
                            Summerville Boy - 2
                            Penhill - 2
                            Laurina - 2
                            Altior - 1
                            Buveur Dair - 1
                            Presenting Percy - 1
                            Santini - 1
                            Samcro - 1
                            Identity Thief - 1
                            Tiger Roll - 1
                            Willoughby Court - 1
                            Might Bite - 1
                            Delta Work - 1
                            Monalee - 1
                            Annibale Fly - 1
                            Benie Des Dieux - 1
                            Kalashnikov - 1

Races:
                            Champion Hurdle - 3
                            Stayers Hurdle - 3
                            Gold Cup - 3
                            JLT Chase - 2
                            Ryanair Chase - 2
                            Mares Hurdle - 2
                            Champion Chase - 1
                            Arkle - 1
                            Cross Country - 1
                            NH Chase - 1
                            RSA - 1

Interesting to see we have three different horses in these Yankees already for the Gold Cup and the season hasn’t yet started. Also surprising to see that of the four major races, it’s Altior and the Champion Chase with the least entries from us with just one (March).

Comment

Altior being 5/4 probably has a lot to do with it

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
                                Altior being 5/4 probably has a lot to do with it
                                7/4.

I think he beats any horse over 2m at cheltenham if fully fit. Including footpad. No horse relishes the Cheltenham hill like Altior.

I’d have him 5/4. Because you are betting he turns up fit in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X