Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup - 2019.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
    2 x Tingle Creeks
    indeed he did

Comment

Mullins said: “I haven’t discussed things with (owners) Simon Munir, Isaac Souede or indeed (racing manager) Anthony Bromley yet.

“He can do any trip from two miles to three miles. I’m thinking we might start him off over two miles and then let him out to two and a half.

“Three miles at Christmas for the King George is a possibility, but a lot will depend on how he comes out of his first two races.”
      The first sentence is key here - it's no secret Mullins thinks of Footpad as a potential Gold Cup horse - that is nothing new.
      I still think the owners will make the final call with the horse so until they speak to Willie and confirm a plan, personally I don't think the chance him going for the Gold Cup is any more likely than it was a few weeks ago. We've just got the trainers opinion today. Let's see what the owners say...

Comment

Originally posted by jono View Post
        The first sentence is key here - it's no secret Mullins thinks of Footpad as a potential Gold Cup horse - that is nothing new.
        I still think the owners will make the final call with the horse so until they speak to Willie and confirm a plan, personally I don't think the chance him going for the Gold Cup is any more likely than it was a few weeks ago. We've just got the trainers opinion today. Let's see what the owners say...
        Mullins might be so keen to get Footpad up in trip because he has ALL of the decent Irish 2 mile chasers this year anyway... Elliott doesn't have anything that'd give Min or Great Field a fright. If Footpad is top class over further, he takes away some of the strength in numbers that Elliott will inevitably have in the staying chase divison (albeit no super star at this stage).

The Irish Trainers Championship may be a key factor in all of this chatter too.

Comment

Originally posted by somer1 View Post
          But isnt Paul N on record saying he messed up at running Kauto at 2 miles?
          This is the 2nd comment I've read on here in recent days suggesting Kauto wasn't an effective 2 miler, which absolutely baffles me. He annihilated Voy Por Ustedes to win a SECOND Tingle Creek, a horse who then went on to win the QM later that season. I was adamant that year that Kauto could have won the QM and GC if there were a couple of extra days rest in between.

Comment

Road to Respect ran a brilliant race yesterday at Down Royal putting serious distance between itself and Balko Des Flos / Outlander.
            4th in last years Gold Cup and currently best price 16/1 for March - I will be having a really close eye on this horse and if it runs like yesterday again in decent company I’ll be pushing the button on an ante post bet.

Comment

I agree OP, certainly laid down an early marker.
              What sticks is my mind though is his placing since chasing, in his novice season he went to the Mildmay which has probably been the lowest ranked chase at the entire festival and never been a stepping stone to greater things, and Noel Meade is too good to have misjudged a horses ability, I can only assume he is a late developer and still improving,
              Ground versatility is a given so whatever the weather Gods throw at Prestbury in March this one will be fine...

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                I agree OP, certainly laid down an early marker.
                What sticks is my mind though is his placing since chasing, in his novice season he went to the Mildmay which has probably been the lowest ranked chase at the entire festival and never been a stepping stone to greater things, and Noel Meade is too good to have misjudged a horses ability, I can only assume he is a late developer and still improving,
                Ground versatility is a given so whatever the weather Gods throw at Prestbury in March this one will be fine...
                Must admit Ista you probably know more than me r.e the horses novice season.

My logic is quite basic - if a horse finishes 4th behind a battle hardened Native River and an excellent Might Bite it is a decent horse anyway. But to then put Balko Des Flow to the sword by 25 lengths (who by the way is one of my horses to watch this year) is mightily impressive.

Comment

Originally posted by OldPersian View Post
                  Must admit Ista you probably know more than me r.e the horses novice season.

My logic is quite basic - if a horse finishes 4th behind a battle hardened Native River and an excellent Might Bite it is a decent horse anyway. But to then put Balko Des Flow to the sword by 25 lengths (who by the way is one of my horses to watch this year) is mightily impressive.
                  I'd be wary of taking the Balko Des Flos 25L behind literally though.... that clearly wasn't his true form.

and Ista - didn't the ground go against him this year? I'm sure they wanted good ground...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    I'd be wary of taking the Balko Des Flos 25L behind literally though.... that clearly wasn't his true form.
                    Not getting carried away by the Distance Kev, but the way Road to Respect ran yesterday was impressive and I will be backing ante-post if it backs it up on its next outings.

Comment

Not getting carried away by the Distance Kev, but the way Road to Respect ran yesterday was impressive and I will be backing ante-post if it backs it up on its next outings.
                      Fair enough, certainly was a nice first run this year.

Where/how do you think he'll reverse placings with Might Bite and Native River?

Comment

Fair enough, certainly was a nice first run this year.

Where/how do you think he'll reverse placings with Might Bite and Native River?
                        It depends on how far the horse progresses between Festivals as to whether it can beat a horse of Native Rivers calibre.

I didn't fancy Might Bite on the ground this year and actually backed Definitely Red (who ran a very disappointing race). Might Bite wouldn't be my choice again next March being almost 10 years old, I think this year was its best shot and the ground probably cost it the race.

I am keen on Presenting Percy for the GC in March and that will likely be my largest bet in the race come March 2019 - but if Road to Respect runs again like yesterday beating decent company - 16/1 EW might be pretty decent value for a horse that placed in the same race this year.

Comment

It depends on how far the horse progresses between Festivals as to whether it can beat a horse of Native Rivers calibre.

I didn't fancy Might Bite on the ground this year and actually backed Definitely Red (who ran a very disappointing race). Might Bite wouldn't be my choice again next March being almost 10 years old, I think this year was its best shot and the ground probably cost it the race.

I am keen on Presenting Percy for the GC in March and that will likely be my largest bet in the race come March 2019 - but if Road to Respect runs again like yesterday beating decent company - 16/1 EW might be pretty decent value for a horse that placed in the same race this year.
                          If Road To Respect runs again like yesterday beating decent company then you won’t get anywhere near 16’s so if he impressed you and you think is improving (an opinion I share) then id take the price now. Early days but very happy sitting on 44’s

Comment

Devils advocate here but....

if ANY horse improves and beats decent horses then they'll be cut - we are looking for a horse that will improve?

Road To Respect was supplemented so they clearly felt he was ready to win the race... so maybe he was more forward than his rivals? If that is the case then there is no real strong case to expect Road to Respect to really be any better than he was last year? So the 16/1 now looks fair enough but I don't expect him to improve out of all recognition?

Comment

I've always thought that RtR was more inconvenienced by this year's ground than Might Bite. If it comes up good next March he would be my choice from all of last March's runners but there's just the feeling that a second season chaser may improve past him.

Comment

Devils advocate here but....

if ANY horse improves and beats decent horses then they'll be cut - we are looking for a horse that will improve?

Road To Respect was supplemented so they clearly felt he was ready to win the race... so maybe he was more forward than his rivals? If that is the case then there is no real strong case to expect Road to Respect to really be any better than he was last year? So the 16/1 now looks fair enough but I don't expect him to improve out of all recognition?
                                I think youv'e summarised it very nicely there Kev, If he gets his ground in March , could be a player, and yes,
                                the prices change as soon as the races finish , so I think if your'e keen ,you have to be
                                Brave and back pre race .

Comment

Working...
                                X