Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Gold Cup - 2019.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PitLad View Post
    I really like Presenting Percy for the Gold Cup, stays the trip (and more) but has speed for shorter, neat jumper, course/Festival form in the book and jockey suits style, all in all the one to beat in my book.

As for dangers I quite like Balko Des Flos, he was ultra impressive in the RyanAir last March on ground he didn't like, course/Fest form important. Back on decent ground, I think he's one to get amongst it and is solid value at 25/1
    I had a few quid at 25s for this after he won the Ryanair as it goes.

He then dissapointed at Aintree and I expected an issue to come to light in the aftermath of that. Very strange run.

Re Might Bite Archie, I think that run in second was a fantastic run last year. The chances of getting ground that soft again is very very unlikely and, in my opinion, that run in better ground would win most Gold Cups. I wasn’t mad keen on him for the race this year (though did have a few quid on him in the end) but I came out of the race thInking that was a very good run behind a mud loving slogger with the heart to never stop running that is Native River.

I too don’t fancy the price on Percy. Clearly talented but 5/1 about a horse who’s never taken on experienced staying chasers with 7 months until the race, with a trainer who will probably give him a strange prep again, I’m happy to leave him well alone.

I expect the three I like at this stage (Might Bite, BDF each way and Monalee each way) will be the three I stick with over the course of the entire season unless something stands out. Though I really want Monalee in the Ryanair and BDF probably won’t be good enough to win this unless he keeps improving.

A very interesting race even at this stage with lots of question marks against so many.

Comment

Everyone entitled to their opinion especially if they've backed it up with hard cash but....

The last 10yo to win a Gold Cup was Cool Dawn in 1998. It was at his first attempt and his death earlier this year means that no horse still alive won a Gold Cup at 10. The race is always very hard which is why winners are often unable to defend their crown and why so few horses improve after their first attempt.

Might Bite ran creditably last year but RPRs would gave it that, of the previous 12 editions, that run would only have been good enough to beat Sizing John, Lord Windermere and Synchronised. It actually comes below Djakadam's first effort behind Coneygree and that's roughly where I'd place him in the scheme of things the last ten years or so. As a 10yo I wouldn't want him at twice the price as a winner although 2/1 for a place might work.

As I said, all opinions this early and good luck to anyone who feels they have a good price.

Comment

I Like P.percy for the gold cup too ,and yes , it's early days , But I still can't help thinking that Native river
        could be in the reckoning , I think if they keep him lightly raced this year.
        Hasn't been out of the first three in his last 14 races . Just a feeling he could be
        a very very Good horse ,.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
          I had a few quid at 25s for this after he won the Ryanair as it goes.

He then dissapointed at Aintree and I expected an issue to come to light in the aftermath of that. Very strange run.

Re Might Bite Archie, I think that run in second was a fantastic run last year. The chances of getting ground that soft again is very very unlikely and, in my opinion, that run in better ground would win most Gold Cups. I wasn’t mad keen on him for the race this year (though did have a few quid on him in the end) but I came out of the race thInking that was a very good run behind a mud loving slogger with the heart to never stop running that is Native River.

I too don’t fancy the price on Percy. Clearly talented but 5/1 about a horse who’s never taken on experienced staying chasers with 7 months until the race, with a trainer who will probably give him a strange prep again, I’m happy to leave him well alone.

I expect the three I like at this stage (Might Bite, BDF each way and Monalee each way) will be the three I stick with over the course of the entire season unless something stands out. Though I really want Monalee in the Ryanair and BDF probably won’t be good enough to win this unless he keeps improving.

A very interesting race even at this stage with lots of question marks against so many.
          That is the 2nd or 3rd time you've knocked the "strange prep" that Pat Kelly may give him...

Pat Kelly who gave him a "strange prep" last year and won the RSA? Or the "strange prep" before he won the Pertemps?
          I genuinly think its staggering you see Pat Kelly as a negative.

AND you said he's never raced against open class staying chasers, which he did.... he was beaten behind Our Duke in his final 'prep' before winning the RSA. Albeit he didn't win, plenty thought he ran creditably that day.

Last point - This is just pedantic but, Presenting Percy is 6/1 everywhere not 5/1, Might Bite is 5/1 in some places and a standout 13/2 with Betunfair who won't take a bet for plenty of people - he's widely available at 6/1.

I have said previously I don't think Presenting Percy or Might Bite are decent bets yet this far out but I still wouldn't lay them and I would consider them in multiples... when a horse is at that price I usually think the price is just on the cautious side of fair from a bookmaker.
          Last edited by Kevloaf; 17 August 2018, 06:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post

Might Bite ran creditably last year but RPRs would gave it that, of the previous 12 editions, that run would only have been good enough to beat Sizing John, Lord Windermere and Synchronised. It actually comes below Djakadam's first effort behind Coneygree and that's roughly where I'd place him in the scheme of things the last ten years or so. As a 10yo I wouldn't want him at twice the price as a winner although 2/1 for a place might work.
            I'm a little surprised Sizing John is as low as he is, I thought he was a better winner than Lord Windy and Synchronised by a decent amount! I suppose it wasn't a 'strong' renewal and I don't do my own ratings, but that is a bit surprising!

I don't think we've seen 'the best' of Might Bite which I think Ista said, however I don't think we'll ever see it at Cheltenham. He's going to be the one to beat at Kempton (alkthough I'd imagine I'd sway towards Waiting Paitently by then)...

Comment

Gold Cup ratings:
              174 Might Bite
              171 Sizing John
              182 Don Cossack
              178 Coneygree
              168 Lord Windermere
              179 Bobs Worth
              171 Synchronised
              181 Long Run
              182 Imperial Commander
              185 Kauto Star
              184 Denman

I wouldn't be that surprised if Might Bite won the King George again but it has little relevance to the Gold Cup. However, horses that go well in the KG or Lexus statistically rate a second look at Cheltenham.
              Last edited by archie; 17 August 2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                That is the 2nd or 3rd time you've knocked the "strange prep" that Pat Kelly may give him...

Pat Kelly who gave him a "strange prep" last year and won the RSA? Or the "strange prep" before he won the Pertemps?
                I genuinly think its staggering you see Pat Kelly as a negative.
                For what it's worth Davy Russell had some choice words when asked about Pat Kelly in our box last year, you never know how much is banter or bullshit but he did suggest a couple of times that his right hand wasn't entirely in tune with his left.
                He gave the impression he was serious, but he also said that Presenting Percy was the worst handicapped horse of the 2017 festival....

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                  Everyone entitled to their opinion especially if they've backed it up with hard cash but....

The last 10yo to win a Gold Cup was Cool Dawn in 1998. It was at his first attempt and his death earlier this year means that no horse still alive won a Gold Cup at 10. The race is always very hard which is why winners are often unable to defend their crown and why so few horses improve after their first attempt.

As I said, all opinions this early and good luck to anyone who feels they have a good price.
                  Not forgetting that Cool Dawn only won because See more business was run out by Cyborgo, See more was the 2nd fav and won the following year.
                  Last edited by MrMcGoldrick; 18 August 2018, 08:47 AM.

Comment

I'm all about that RSA form for the Gold Cup and with Might Bite's run this year I don't see a reason to stop now.

Love Bitey, but I think that was his chance and he sadly got the wrong ground against the wrong horse

Comment

Just seen on R.post site , Native River and Thistlecrack both aiming for the Gold cup ,
                      and Triple crown this winter./ new season.

Comment

As the name suggests, nothing I would love more than thistlecrack storming up the Cheltenham hill in the GC19 but at 10 years old and the injury history... I won’t be on him much

Comment

Originally posted by thistlecracker View Post
                          As the name suggests, nothing I would love more than thistlecrack storming up the Cheltenham hill in the GC19 but at 10 years old and the injury history... I won’t be on him much
                          I’d love to see him aimed at the Stayers Hurdle. I think he’d be a real danger to all of fit and firing with that race as his year-long target.

Comment

According to Joe Tizzard , over the injury and firing on all cylinders ??.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
                              I’d love to see him aimed at the Stayers Hurdle. I think he’d be a real danger to all of fit and firing with that race as his year-long target.
                              I think this could end up being the route they go down

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
                                According to Joe Tizzard , over the injury and firing on all cylinders ??.
                                Yeah I did read this and I hope it’s true but I just don’t believe it

Comment

Working...
                                X