Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

To Win 'Any Race' 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Massive fan on OTBS but remember he has shin issues and struggles on undulating tracks, wouldn’t be the biggest shock if they bypassed Cheltenham and took aim at other Spring options....

Comment

Just been reading the 2018 supreme thread and a horse called Epicuris pops up but didnt make it to the fest.
      Any thoughts on this horse for the 2019 fest?Could it be the mullins Arkle horse for 2019?

Comment

Originally posted by somer1 View Post
        Just been reading the 2018 supreme thread and a horse called Epicuris pops up but didnt make it to the fest.
        Any thoughts on this horse for the 2019 fest?Could it be the mullins Arkle horse for 2019?
        He's flat bred and ran in the Derby so I wouldn't have thought he'd ever end up chasing personally.

Mullins has a few that mix iut between hurdles and flat handicaps so I'd guess he'd be one of those, didn't seem to be at the top table over hurdles either.

Have you heard he goes chasing?

Comment

heard nothing. but liked what i read form last year

Comment

A couple of noticeable price changes on this market with Hills

Kalashnikov 8/1 into 5/1
            Santini 12/1 into 8/1

Comment

Originally posted by Geordieboy83 View Post
              A couple of noticeable price changes on this market with Hills

Kalashnikov 8/1 into 5/1
              Santini 12/1 into 8/1
              I forgot to check after his cut in the Arkle...

I was quite content with Kalashnikov b eing in the JLT reckoning but the Arkle looks weak and you would have to say that is more likely.

Kalashnikov could EASILY end up being the number 1 Arkle horse from the UK.

Comment

Asked Hills to introduce Monalee into this market as I want him in my portfolio...

13-1 with the boost, thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Innoko View Post
                  Asked Hills to introduce Monalee into this market as I want him in my portfolio...

13-1 with the boost, thoughts?
                  I'd be quite happy to put all my eggs in one basket with Monalee and call the Ryanair as the race for him. Can't see him getting close to or wanting to take on PP in the Gold Cup and not convinced the Gold Cup trip is what he needs/wants either. On that basis I'd prefer the 16/1 for the Ryanair than the 13/1 boosted for 'any race' but it's just personal thoughts as it stands.

Comment

To be fair to Monalee, he could strengthen further this year and take the GC trip in his stride, it's not the first horse that would have done this.

However, it would take some maturing, as i do think he races too prominent and keenly to stay the trip effectively.

I wouldn't be keen on the any race bet either, based on the same as the above reply.

Comment

You'd have thought that Monalee would be campaigned towards the Leopardstown Christmas Chase (ex-Lexus) and that will decide the Cheltenham target. Last season taught us that the owners are fairly strong-willed and the Gold Cup would surely be their preference.

Comment

I spent about 3 months trying to get him into one of our Yankees for the Ryanair.

He’s one of my favourite horses in training (not sure why though) and I think he’d be perfect for the Ryanair. A relentless gallop over 2m 5f would be right up his street rather thank Take on MB and PP in the GC over a trip further than he’d want.

The reason he went RSA last year was because the owner had an antepost bet for his horse in that race of a large amount. This year, the trainer will hopefully be able to get Monalee in the right race - and that race is undoubtedly the Ryanair.

Comment

That reason alone MOM is the reason I'd go any race. We have no evidence to suggest the owner wouldn't want him in the gold cup.

Let's say Percy gets an injury, 2nd in an RSA looks attractive to take a shot at the Gold Cup.

I agree with you in the main though, he was my strongest fancy for the JLT all year and very little changes moving forwards. If I knew he was going for the Ryanair I'd start having decent each way bets.

Comment

Last year, Henry said that the RSA was the obvious race for him. His pedigree says stayer and he didn't lose the RSA through not staying.

The route to Leopardstown is often via races over less than 3 miles so starting in, say, the Clonmel Oils would be no indicator of which way he'd go. Even going to Leopardstown would leave the options open for Cheltenham and it's the way I'd go if I had a horse that might go to either the Ryanair or the Gold Cup (which I do).

As it happens, there's every chance that the Ryanair could have greater depth than the Gold Cup this season, especially if you discard no-hoper Might Bite.

Comment

You're right he didn't get outstayed in the RSA and is not bad form.

I assume you feel he's more likely to line up in the Gold Cup than Ryanair at this stage?

That's how I feel although I'd fancy him more over shorter.

Comment

Looking at the stats, I think that the most likely Gold Cup winner is one of last season's novices. If you discount Footpad on the basis that he'll stay over 2 miles (just my view), the highest rated novices with Gold Cup/Ryanair pretensions were:
                                165 Presenting Percy
                                159 Al Boum Photo
                                158 Monalee
                                158 Terrefort
                                157 Kemboy
                                155 Death Duty
                                155 The Storyteller
                                153 Shattered Love (plus mares allowance)

All of those have potentially 10lb improvement which would give them a squeak and only PP is Gold Cup or nothing.

I'd have Monalee as a reasonable fit for the required profile but, because you can train and run a Ryanair contender and a Gold Cup contender in exactly the same way up to Christmas, I wouldn't want him (or the others) in a single race market unless I was building my own book for the race.

Comment

Working...
                                X