Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
    Ive been told "the right people have backed Samcro for the fighting fifth"
    They'll know where they stand is Nicky doesn't shirk the challenge.

No lose for BVD though in my opinion, if he gets beat they can blame being first time out, if he beats a match fit Samcro then he's got the division by the short and curlies again?

Hope it happens.

Comment

• Who are the right people

Comment

• Originally posted by jack1092 View Post
        Who are the right people
        I get plenty of nods on horses 10/14 days out and experience has shown to treat them with caution, plenty of tide changes take place before race day.
        Solid support 24/48 hours from gametime and definitely take notice...

Comment

• Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
          I get plenty of nods on horses 10/14 days out and experience has shown to treat them with caution, plenty of tide changes take place before race day.
          Solid support 24/48 hours from gametime and definitely take notice...
          And in a race like the fighting fifth I'd take no notice whatsoever. Unless the money is based on other horses not turning up

Comment

• I really can't see Nicky taking Buveur D'Air out of this - think he's a certainty to run as long as the ground is ok. He was undercooked last year so he 100% needs this and at least 3 runs this season. There aren't too many races for him in the calendar in the UK. Miss this race and you'd assume he then goes to Cheltenham for the December meeting. That would then rule him in all likelihood out of Kempton being a week and a half away. Or vice versa.

He annoyingly took the over cautious approach with the horse last season, and did to a degree with Might Bite as well but i'm hoping that's no longer the case. Might Bite is going for the Triple Crown against the Gold Cup winner. Altior will face all challengers in the Tingle Creek* - his best horses after a few seasons do tend to not shirk a challenge. (watch him pull both Might Bite and Altior out now )

Although Samcro will be fitter, it's in my opinion the best time to face Samcro. The track and ground should suit Buveur D'air far more than Samcro and I really think he'll be up against it against Buveur there.

Comment

• If Samcro, SB and Bedrock all turn up, it will be BvD's biggest ever test IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by jono View Post
                I really can't see Nicky taking Buveur D'Air out of this - think he's a certainty to run as long as the ground is ok. He was undercooked last year so he 100% needs this and at least 3 runs this season. There aren't too many races for him in the calendar in the UK. Miss this race and you'd assume he then goes to Cheltenham for the December meeting. That would then rule him in all likelihood out of Kempton being a week and a half away. Or vice versa.

He annoyingly took the over cautious approach with the horse last season, and did to a degree with Might Bite as well but i'm hoping that's no longer the case. Might Bite is going for the Triple Crown against the Gold Cup winner. Altior will face all challengers in the Tingle Creek* - his best horses after a few seasons do tend to not shirk a challenge. (watch him pull both Might Bite and Altior out now )

Although Samcro will be fitter, it's in my opinion the best time to face Samcro. The track and ground should suit Buveur D'air far more than Samcro and I really think he'll be up against it against Buveur there.
                The Sporting Life Podcast they predicted Samcro would go off fav in the Fighting Fifth if both ran, due to race fitness.
                Couldn't happen could it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Innoko View Post
                  If Samcro, SB and Bedrock all turn up, it will be BvD's biggest ever test IMO.
                  Bedrock wouldn't have placed in last years CH?
                  Or Summerville Boy and Buveur D'air would have easily won SB's Supreme IMO - so would Melon (controvertial)
                  Samcro has shown absolutely nothing to prove he's a top class two mile hurdler yet.

Part of me really really wants BVD to just swot away this seasons challenge as well - I feel he's so grossly under valued - and then other times I completely see why people want to see him beat and say it's been weak

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                    Bedrock wouldn't have placed in last years CH?
                    Or Summerville Boy and Buveur D'air would have easily won SB's Supreme IMO - so would Melon (controvertial)
                    Samcro has shown absolutely nothing to prove he's a top class two mile hurdler yet.

Part of me really really wants BVD to just swot away this seasons challenge as well - I feel he's so grossly under valued - and then other times I completely see why people want to see him beat and say it's been weak
                    They'll not all run, It'll be Irving v Buveur D'air
                    Is Irving still with us ?

Comment

• Originally posted by Innoko View Post
                      If Samcro, SB and Bedrock all turn up, it will be BvD's biggest ever test IMO.
                      I think it's certainly a test but more so being the first run of the season against fitter rivals than it being the best field he's faced. I still think if you go through the runners he's faced in the last 2 CH's - it beats those 3 runners. A good field no doubt but not his biggest test.

I can't have Summerville Boy beating Buveur D'Air first time up. That for me just doesn't happen.
                      Bedrock will be coming into the race in an all time high but I think as the season goes on his level will have been lowered and will peter out to some form or another and won't end up showing anything like CH form
                      I doubted whether Samcro would be able to compete at the top level over 2 miles hurdling and Down Royal just added further doubt. Maybe come March he will have progressed to the required level with more experience but I definitely don't think that's the case right now.

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      The Sporting Life Podcast they predicted Samcro would go off fav in the Fighting Fifth if both ran, due to race fitness.
                      Couldn't happen could it?
                      Madness. I can't see it myself but when you go on popularity - Buveur is vastly underated and Samcro the second coming (still) so maybe so.

On that note is the Sporting Life Pod any good? One of the few I don't listen too (didn't think it was regular?)

Comment

• Originally posted by jono View Post
                        I think it's certainly a test but more so being the first run of the season against fitter rivals than it being the best field he's faced. I still think if you go through the runners he's faced in the last 2 CH's - it beats those 3 runners. A good field no doubt but not his biggest test.

I can't have Summerville Boy beating Buveur D'Air first time up. That for me just doesn't happen.
                        Bedrock will be coming into the race in an all time high but I think as the season goes on his level will have been lowered and will peter out to some form or another and won't end up showing anything like CH form
                        I doubted whether Samcro would be able to compete at the top level over 2 miles hurdling and Down Royal just added further doubt. Maybe come March he will have progressed to the required level with more experience but I definitely don't think that's the case right now.

Madness. I can't see it myself but when you go on popularity - Buveur is vastly underated and Samcro the second coming (still) so maybe so.

On that note is the Sporting Life Pod any good? One of the few I don't listen too (didn't think it was regular?)
                        Yeah it's regular now. Two a week same as all the others. Ben Linfoot is always on and I like hearing his thoughts. Richard Mann, Matt Brocklebank fairly regular. Dave Ord is quite funny as the host and knows what he's talking about. Decent interviews with whichever jockeys are linked to SL (Jacob again this year). The Skybet fella is on there too.

Worth a listen. Better than some that I listen to

Comment

• So pundits on SL podcast think race fitness may make Samcro Favourite over Buvuer in fighting fifth.
                          How can you tell how fit they are ?
                          Is it a given if you've had one race a month ago that you're fitter than a horse that hasn't ?

When does race fitness beat a fresh horse or a fresh horse beat a race fit horse.
                          And after how many races does your race fitness become one race too many.

Love all the jargon bullshit in this industry.
                          I love horse racing but jesus there's a load of shite talked.

Comment

• Originally posted by quevega View Post
                            I love horse racing but jesus there's a load of shite talked.
                            You could make a podcast using cliches without naming a specific horse and it'd be passed as believable.

"Well the second just got done for speed, a step up in trip will help next time".
                            "Yeah I agree, the winner was just sharper on the day, trainer is flying at the moment and knows how to get one ready"

Name the race? ANY!

Comment

• Laurina not going to Ascot due to the ground

Comment

• Originally posted by KingSprinterSacre View Post
                                Laurina not going to Ascot due to the ground
                                Weak excuse IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X