Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Hurdle 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faugheen was shot in 2018. Melon has always been in and out. I don't think that's an outlandish opinion.

Comment

• Same again - of the horses we HAVE SEEN - If you had to have a shortlist of 3, which 3 are you most interested in

Buveur D'air - There won't be anyone that disagrees with this, for obvious reasons. Looking forward to the OR/RPR for his win.
      If The Cap Fits - Do I think he can win a CH? No, but of the ones I've seen, he's still achieved a decent level and I think he had speed last year, so one run at Ascot looking like he had stamina isn't enough to completely write him off (although obviously couldn't beat Buveur D'air)
      Samcro - In by default on the shortlist but this is a 1 horse race from the ones we've seen this season... only Laurina or Melon have any chance whatsoever of getting involved.

Comment

• I’d probably have to say Sharjah over Ifthecapfits

People forgave Samcro for slitting his throat vs Sharjah, but the same is true for him and he followed it up with a smooth Morgiana win

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
          I’d probably have to say Sharjah over Ifthecapfits

People forgave Samcro for slitting his throat vs Sharjah, but the same is true for him and he followed it up with a smooth Morgiana win
          Yeah, a very fair shout. ITCF has more potential as he's more unexposed but it's perfectly comprehendable that ITCF will never be as good as Sharjah, let alone be good enough for a CH.

Comment

• I’d say he’s been plenty exposed as not having a chance in a top grade 2m race.

No shame in being a 2.5m hurdler mind, Oscar Whisky did just fine

Comment

• Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
              I’d say he’s been plenty exposed as not having a chance in a top grade 2m race.

No shame in being a 2.5m hurdler mind, Oscar Whisky did just fine
              If The Cap Fits isn't plenty exposed in 2m races?

3 runs at 2m as a novice 3 wins.

1 run at 2m this season, first time out, beaten 2L by a race fit mare... if you can aceept him not to be firing on all cylinders that day, next time out he won a grade 2 over 2m3f.... he's CLEARLY not fully exposed yet at any trip?

****Not that he has any chance against Buveur D'air, but say he didn't make it, I wouldn't be scared to have him as a dart against the rest of the likley field!

Comment

• He won last time but was totally outpaced by WHAD and Old Guard round the last bend goes from up close to 2-3 lengths behind Old guard.

Regardless of the fact that it was over 2m3 that exposes his turn of foot as not being good enough

Comment

• Elliott got to witness Buveur D’Air at Newcastle, where his Samcro was put well in his place, and he did not rule out stepping back up in trip.

“You are always disappointed when you don’t win – but there was no excuse, and he ran his heart out. He jumped and galloped to the line but was just beaten by a very good horse,” he said.

“He pulled clear of last year’s Supreme Novices’ winner (Summerville Boy). That was as good as he was on the day, and there is no making excuses.

“There is every chance he could step up in trip. I didn’t get a chance to talk with (owners) Michael and Eddie (O’Leary) yet, but I’m sure we’ll have a chat around the end of the week.

“He’s come out of the race well, and he looks brilliant.”
                  https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                  Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                    Elliott got to witness Buveur D’Air at Newcastle, where his Samcro was put well in his place, and he did not rule out stepping back up in trip.

“You are always disappointed when you don’t win – but there was no excuse, and he ran his heart out. He jumped and galloped to the line but was just beaten by a very good horse,” he said.

“He pulled clear of last year’s Supreme Novices’ winner (Summerville Boy). That was as good as he was on the day, and there is no making excuses.

“There is every chance he could step up in trip. I didn’t get a chance to talk with (owners) Michael and Eddie (O’Leary) yet, but I’m sure we’ll have a chat around the end of the week.

“He’s come out of the race well, and he looks brilliant.”
                    It will be the snobbish views of the owners if he doesn't end up in the Stayers. IMO it's a much easier race for Samcro, and hardly of detriment to a Gold Cup hopeful

Comment

• “So I see no reason to change the plan, the plan was always we’d keep him hurdling this year and hopefully he’ll go to Leopardstown at Christmas for the Ryanair Hurdle and he’ll go hopefully back to Leopardstown in February for the Irish Champion Hurdle there.

“Then we’ll take on Buveur D’Air again at Cheltenham – there’s no point in giving Buveur D’Air the Champion Hurdle trophy today, so let’s see what happens.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Innoko View Post
                        “So I see no reason to change the plan, the plan was always we’d keep him hurdling this year and hopefully he’ll go to Leopardstown at Christmas for the Ryanair Hurdle and he’ll go hopefully back to Leopardstown in February for the Irish Champion Hurdle there.

“Then we’ll take on Buveur D’Air again at Cheltenham – there’s no point in giving Buveur D’Air the Champion Hurdle trophy today, so let’s see what happens.”
                        And when was that quote? Because the one I put up was taken today a few hours ago.

Plans change.
                        https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
                        Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

• The fact that Elliott's motto has always been to "win the race you've got the most chance of winning" then it would make sense to consider the Stayers hurdle for Samcro following his opening 2 runs this season.

Have to say though i'll feel pretty sick if I end up seeing him line up over 3 miles hurdling having been strong on him for the RSA and having Ballymore bets roll onto that race

Comment

• Is the plan for Samcro still the same? He's not going to go chasing is he?
                            Listen obviously everything is up in the air at the moment, i'll have a chat with Michael and Eddie this week and see but at the moment we're still aiming for the Champion Hurdle
                            <blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">At this morning&#39;s <a href="https://twitter.com/LeopardstownRC?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@LeopardstownR C</a> Christmas Festival Launch, trainer Gordon Elliott gave <a href="https://twitter.com/willocallaghan?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@willocallagha n</a> an update on plans for Samcro and Apple&#39;s Jade <a href="https://t.co/6OqFFIFuUC">pic.twitter.com/6OqFFIFuUC</a></p>&mdash; Off The Ball (@offtheball) <a href="https://twitter.com/offtheball/status/1069611466037370880?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">December 3, 2018</a></blockquote>
                            <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Comment

• As a big Penhill backer, this will be annoying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                                And when was that quote? Because the one I put up was taken today a few hours ago.

Plans change.
                                Michael O'Leary yesterday afternoon.

Comment

Working...
                                X