Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2019 Grand National

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Grand National

Had a couple of free bets on my early likes for this. Go Conquer @ 66s and Missed Approach @ 50s.

Never too early right ?!

Love it GS !
    But I'd be looking across the Irish Sea, it's virtually impossible for UK horses to win any festival handicap the Irish show an interest in....

Comment

Assuming he’s back in racing Un Temp Pout Tout is mybearly pick

As I mentioned in the Cross Country thread I’m interested to see who else is out over the course next year and will probably factor them in to my GN thoughts aswell

Comment

I'm also on early. Step Back was available at 60/1 with a Ladbrokes price boost. He was really impressive on Saturday and looks made to jump the national fences. The Bradstocks said that the National would be the long term target next season, with the Becher being a potential early season target. Rated 149 after Saturday, I think he has plenty of improvement in him.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
          I'm also on early. Step Back was available at 60/1 with a Ladbrokes price boost. He was really impressive on Saturday and looks made to jump the national fences. The Bradstocks said that the National would be the long term target next season, with the Becher being a potential early season target. Rated 149 after Saturday, I think he has plenty of improvement in him.
          Presumably a Becher win would see him rated around 155 which would see him carry around 11st 7lb give or take.
          Not impossible but not ideal, perhaps they might use the Becher as an education rather than a target, will be interesting to follow him in that race....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
            Love it GS !
            But I'd be looking across the Irish Sea, it's virtually impossible for UK horses to win any festival handicap the Irish show an interest in....
            Lot of sense in that...hmmm

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
              I am way off my game at the moment. I had a look at Step Back at the time and didn't end up backing it!

Would love to be on at 60/1, well done FM.

A hugely interesting horse because the step up looked to be a massive benefit for him. I was on the second and he was never getting close.

Comment

I couldn't look at the Nash without knowing I would be on something carrying 11st or less. I know the race has changed, but the plot type thinking hasn't, I think the stat is now 18 from the last 20 winners falls within this weight stat, and, I think, the first 3 this year all carried less than 11st, big obstacle to overcome.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                  I couldn't look at the Nash without knowing I would be on something carrying 11st or less. I know the race has changed, but the plot type thinking hasn't, I think the stat is now 18 from the last 20 winners falls within this weight stat, and, I think, the first 3 this year all carried less than 11st, big obstacle to overcome.
                  100% agree with this.

Comment

I know your probably right Mr McGoldrick and Mayo . , But i'm a sucker for a 50-1 shot , especially after this year , So ............
                    Joe Farrell is my first one this time round .

Comment

First bet for the Grand National - based purely on the comments from Kevin Blake on the Final Furlong Podcast.... that Eddie O'Leary confirmed Don Poli is very much back in training and in answer to him being a Grand NAtional horse... he 'very well could be'

50/1 for a horse I know will stay the trip and has the class to compete (as a previous RSA winner and 3rd in a Gold Cup) - I just cannot resist!

2.5 pts e/w (5 places with 365).... I am excited already!
                      Last edited by Kevloaf; 12 September 2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

Apologies Kev, I hadn't seen this (and missed to ffp). I still haven't forgiven the O'Leary's for pulling him out of the race a couple of years ago when I would have won close to 5 figures off him.

That said, I'm in. A slow ground grand national would be ideal if he is the horse of old. Now where's that 50/1

Comment

I've added Ballyoptic to my portfolio @ 33-1. N.T.D likes a national runner !.

Comment

Taken from Sporting Life website...

Bradstock also provided a positive update on Step Back, who rounded off last season with victory in the bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown.

"He's really good and I think we're learning to deal with the tying up (muscle cramp) problems he's had in the past," Bradstock added. "The Grand National is the long-term target and we'll keep our options open in terms of where we start off. Whether we go for the Hennessy (Ladbrokes Trophy) or the Becher Chase, we'll see. It will slightly depend on the ground, so we'll see what happens."

Comment

I don't usually ante this early on the national but Vintage Clouds at 50/1 interests me quite a lot. If you look at the top marks in the national over the past 5 years they've been 160 - 166. At the moment Clouds is at 143, so you would expect a few decent prep runs for him to be at worst low 150s which should put him near the magic 11 stone mark that over the new fences seems to go so well and something I try to stick too. Add to that the form he has displayed in the Scottish National & Ultima and the fact that on the face of it he can go on almost any ground, then I could be very tempted to get on him!

Comment

Working...
                              X