Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

May Festival Yankee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Willoughby court , A good shout . i.m.o .

Comment

Is it worth opening up the yankee to other meetings? We all know how hard it is to get 1 horse to turn up at Cheltenham, and then get them in the right race.

Something I tend to do is combine some shorter range ante post bets with a couple of Cheltenham selections. It just reduces the chance of having Yankees full of non runners and gives you something to watch during the summer months.

Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        Is it worth opening up the yankee to other meetings? We all know how hard it is to get 1 horse to turn up at Cheltenham, and then get them in the right race.

Something I tend to do is combine some shorter range ante post bets with a couple of Cheltenham selections. It just reduces the chance of having Yankees full of non runners and gives you something to watch during the summer months.

Just a thought.
        September wins the Oaks lads. On at 25s since last June.

Though for these Yankees I’d say stick to Cheltenham. Just because of the possibility of four turning up and shorter odds. Be a bit gutting if we have three 16/1 shots at 5/2 on the day but we’ve already been let down by something on the flat for the four fold.

Like you, I combine them up with other flat meetings but for the sake of these Yankees, I’d vote in favour of sticking with Cheltenham personally.

Comment

Originally posted by BigChaang View Post
          Willoughby court , A good shout . i.m.o .
          Agree with that.

Think he looks a likely contender for this yankee at this stage.

Might Bite lads?

Comment

I must admit I mix them up, I also try to find 2 or 3 to put together going onto several horses in a fez race. For example for this years fez I had a treble that won going onto 5 horses in the Gold cup, including Native River and Might bite, that felt good, not big money but a nice pick up all the same

Comment

Willoughby Court, Might Bite sounds like a decent start, mixing some speculation with assured targets seems logical
              Last edited by MrMcGoldrick; 5 May 2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

If I may throw one into the hat/discussion , what are everyones thoughts on Melon for the Arkle? I’m not sure if thier intention is to take him over the fences or not yet, but they’ve been adamant he would be a better chaser, and if he was to go that route next season it would have to be the Arkle. His Cheltenham festival form has been solid with the two seconds I think at 10/1 maybe bigger around it seemed a fair price?

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post

Just a thought.
                  I wouldn't be against that.

I know a few of us had Might Bite in the KG last year as the start of a few trixie's or yankee's.

I had a big double with Apple's Jade which is hindsight probably saved me having a very large bet on AJ that wouldn't have won as a single.

I think MoM's concern that it'd be disappointing if one lost mand the other three made it, but if that had happened, you could just try again... .and if it has come off, then the position becomes very attractive?
                  Spetember for the Oaks perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by Willdunn99 View Post
                    If I may throw one into the hat/discussion , what are everyones thoughts on Melon for the Arkle? I’m not sure if thier intention is to take him over the fences or not yet, but they’ve been adamant he would be a better chaser, and if he was to go that route next season it would have to be the Arkle. His Cheltenham festival form has been solid with the two seconds I think at 10/1 maybe bigger around it seemed a fair price?
                    Of course...

I coulodn't put any cash on Melon until I knew he was going chasing, as 10/1 isn't big enough with the risk attached that he might not go novice chasing, or might not take to it. If he was declared to go chasing he'd probably still be available at 8/1?
                    He'd definitely be of interest if he was going novice chasing. I think Altior was 6/1 for the Arkle when it was declared he was going chasing as a rough guide.

Comment

I wouldn't be hopeful next seasons novice chasers will be a vintage bunch, if definitely chasing 10/1 looks OK....

Comment

Tough to see them not stick to hurdling after the CH, but I’d agree if he goes chasing he’s a rightful favourite

Comment

If that was the case, Kevloaf, 8/1 would certainly be within reason. At least that's what I think.

Comment

Hi Goers, Melon is a big horse and he would be likely to make up into a good chaser who could take a fence in his stride, the problem is where the Mullins camp see his opportunities. Shouldn't really be any conflict though with him being in ownership away from the big players.

Comment

So we’ve got Might Bite and Willoughby Court looking likely so far.

Two spaces left. Maybe one ambitious one and something with one realistic target again in Altior or a horse like that?

I’ve saod it before but I’ll say it again, great shout Mr McGoldrick with this monthly yankee. A cracking idea.

Comment

i will throw mix in here as well with 2 we pretty much know willl target these races

Penhill-Stayers
                                BVD-Champ Hurd

Comment

Working...
                                X