Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cross Country Chase 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by charlie View Post
    Good to see, although if history has taught us anything it's ignore what Elliot's do at Cheltenham XC trials. In fact, I hope he gets smashed, goes on the drift and then I can pile in again at significantly better than 5/1
    If history has taught us well it's to blindly back whoever Elliott chucks into the December (2nd) trial out of the blue

Looking forward to hopefully see Tiger Roll out again!

Comment

Unlike the x country at the festival this One on Friday is a handicap
      Auvergnat is favourite,only beat chic name by a neck in March off level weights
      This time chic name gets more than two stone off auvergnat
      Probably why he has gone from 14s to 8/1
      Last edited by Liammet; 11 November 2018, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
        Tiger Roll has an entry in the X Country on Friday, as does Bay of Freedom.

Are you traveling to Prestbury Park BOF?
        I will be there FM. (if any forum members are going please let me know) We sent him hunting after Listowel and he seemed to enjoy it and we have schooled at Peter Maher's the last couple of weeks and that went well too. He will travel over tomorrow and we will school him Tuesday and Wednesday (at least). We wanted someone to school him there and did consider asking Johnny Burke but he will likely be claimed (either by Chic Name or one of Longsdon's) so it looks like we have gone with Richie McLernon who lives close enough to come over and school him in the morning (Peter and I discussed riding options last week and Richie was an obvious choice for us). He needs to pass a 'schooling test' (all newcomers do) to be able to run so, hopefully, that won't be an issue.
        Peter had called Gordon last week so we knew that Tiger Roll was planning to run and we could work out that we would be around 10.00. It's something different and , at this stage, worth trying. I'll update as the week goes on.
        My only other comment is that I have no idea why Auvergnat is favourite and Chic Name looks well handicapped. However, the latter seems best with cut and I doubt that all the Irish horses will travel given there is a Banks race at Punchestown next Sunday.

Comment

Good luck BoF, I’m there Sat so if you’re still around give me a shout.

The festival XC was a handicap until very recently but I don’t think this is a code where normal handicapping standards can be applied.
          I know I’ve bored people in here many times with my theories on XC races but for me they only ever truly ‘race’ when they come out onto the racecourse proper, the previous 27 furlongs they navigate twists, turns and banks and barely make 3rd gear.
          Of course you’d rather have less weight than the others but I wouldn’t think a few pound makes any difference....

Comment

Looking forward to the blog BoF... I hope he takes to it. Whose idea was it initially?

Comment

The ground at Cheltenham for the x country is currently good,good to firm
              I don’t think they can water this course and there is not much rain forecast
              Any chance they might consider not running this race on Friday for safety reasons
              Also,don’t think they will risk running tiger roll on that ground
              Last edited by Liammet; 12 November 2018, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Liammet View Post
                The ground at Cheltenham for the x country is currently good,good to firm
                I don’t think they can water this course and there is not much rain forecast
                Any chance they might consider not running this race on Friday for safety reasons
                Also,don’t think they will risk running tiger roll on that ground
                Claisse said today that it is good, good to firm in places on the Cross Country course and they have started watering to get the firm out of the description.

He also confirmed they are tweaking the rail placement to try and stop any more horses running out.

Comment

Thanks ccm

Comment

Originally posted by Can't Catch Me View Post
                    Claisse said today that it is good, good to firm in places on the Cross Country course and they have started watering to get the firm out of the description.

He also confirmed they are tweaking the rail placement to try and stop any more horses running out.
                    I thought they couldn't water the cross country course?

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                      I thought they couldn't water the cross country course?
                      No idea tbh mate... but saw it on the RP before.... article here:

A big swing in the weights, favourable forecast good ground and in-form trainer Nicky Henderson putting all his BetVictor Gold Cup eggs into one... Read More

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
                        Looking forward to the blog BoF... I hope he takes to it. Whose idea was it initially?
                        Be careful what you wish for Kev! Will post on here. When we went into the bar after he ran poorly at Listowel, I said to Ber (Peter's wife) that I had been thinking of the cross-country route and she was amazed because she and Peter had had that very conversation on the way down. At the time, Peter and I were so convinced the ulcers had returned that, apart from noting the coincidence, we didn't discuss it any more. When there were no ulcers, Peter decided to take him hunting and to ride him himself; something he regretted for the next four days! They both got a great 'buzz' out of it and the horse has been loving jumping these different fences. We did discuss going to Punchestown on Sunday but I am not a great fan of the bank's course there (not good for my heart). Even so, I was surprised when Peter told me we were going to Cheltenham. I spoke to him earlier and he seems pretty excited about it all; we will see. It will be another great day out with the horse; I am very fortunate.

Comment

Good article on Racing u.k by Matt Tombs , covers a few races this weekend at Chelt. Including this race.
                          Sounds like, to have a shout in March , A previous course run a must.

Comment

As long as Tiger gets round safe and sound i'l be happy. For me the result is largely irrelevant as an indicator for the festival.

Comment

Ballycasey an interesting entry at Punchestown.

Comment

Tiger Roll is 2/1 on Friday I wouldn't back him at 20s.

Comment

Working...
                                X