Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

MOMs Racing Preview - Aintree Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOMs Racing Preview - Aintree Day 1

Aintree Grand National meeting 2018 – Day 1
    I’m back. A month on from Cheltenham and there’s some more top class racing to decipher as the best of the English horses do battle. There are numerous Cheltenham Festival rematches across the three days culminating in the Aintree Grand National where I will bid to repeat last year’s prediction with One For Arthur. There are seven races per day but only the middle five are on ITV with the first and last race of each day on Racing UK.

1:45 – Manifesto Novices’ Chase (Grade 1)
    The Aintree equivalent of the JLT at the Cheltenham Festival kicks things off and a small but useful field line up. As the day has gone on, Brain Power has drifted from 13/8 out to 11/4. I’ve said for a long time that he is the most overrated horse in training in my opinion and was a fortunate second in the Arkle last time. He has never shaped like this extra half-mile would suit and his jumping often comes under scrutiny. Finian’s Oscar was my bet in the aforementioned JLT and whilst he looked far more like his old self, he still faded when the taps turned on and was a well beaten fifth. That was his first run after a wind op though so he should improve again. He won a grade 1 hurdle at this meeting last year afterall but was campaigned terribly by Colin Tizzard this season. CYRNAME has looked top class since being stepped up in trip and his form was franked in that JLT when Terrefort (who beat Cyrname narrowly at Sandown) finished second behind Shattered Love. On recent form, he has the beating of Finian’s Oscar so is the selection here. Rene’s Girl has dominated a couple of Listed races off the front in her last two outings but this is a step up in class. Modus is out of his depth in this company whilst Calino D’Airy represents Gigginstown from Ireland but is thrown in at the deep end here.

2:20 – Doom Bar Juvenile Hurdle (Grade 1)
    For anyone betting small stakes, Coral and Betway are offering money back as a free bet for this race up to £10 as this is the first ITV race. We have A Dream missed the Triumph Hurdle due to a small issue but had looked high class this season before that. Stablemate APPLES SHAKIRA got backed into 11/10 favourite for that race and would’ve been a four figure winner for me had she won as the last of a Trixie. Unfortunately, she pulled like a train early on and didn’t have enough up the hill to challenge. She beat Nube Negra earlier this season who himself ran creditably (despite a disappointing ride) in the Fred Winter at the Festival. It’s a tough ask for him to reverse form with the Nicky Henderson filly though. Malaya is a gutsy type who rarely runs a bad race and could run well whilst Gumball is better than he showed last time and is a fascinating runner at a massive price.

2:50 – Betway Bowl Chase (Grade 1)
    Favourites don’t have a very good record in this race which has made this an interesting market. But for that statistic, MIGHT BITE (NAP) would surely be 1/2 here? His trainer believes he has recovered from his close second on testing ground in the Gold Cup and he’s the best horse in this race easily. On better ground, myself and many others believe Might Bite would have won the blue ribbon event this year. He looked top class when nearly throwing the 2017 RSA away and won the King George this year to back that up. Double Shuffle was second in that but never threatened the winner and relies on that enemy underperforming here. Bristol De Mai was magnificent in the Betfair Chase but he always saves his best for Haydock and was a distance behind in that King George. Definitely Red and Tea For Two were beaten fair and square in the Gold Cup and aren’t assured to be at their best here. Clan Des Obeaux is a steady type who could be the one for the forecast behind Might Bite who will surely win. At 5/6, I will certainly be getting involved even at odds on.

3:25 – Betway Aintree Hurdle (Grade 1)
    It is testament to the standard of racing that this meeting has become that this is the fourth race of the meeting and all of them have been grade one races so far. The defection of dual Champion Hurdle winner Buveur D’Air opens the race up with Stayers Hurdle runner-up Supasundae at the hed of the market. Jessica Harrington’s inmate was second in this last season but has improved since then and would’ve given Buveur D’Air a decent race again over this trip. The New One didn’t stay that day but this intermediate distance will be right up his ally. L’Ami Serge is incredibly talented but is massively frustrating as he finds nothing off the bridle whilst MY TENT OR YOURS is a seasoned campaigner who is the model of consistency. He’s looked as good as ever this year and the three time Champion Hurdle runner-up can get his day in the sun here. The rest look out of their depth here in an interesting renewal of this race.

4:05 – Foxhunters’ Open Hunter Chase (Grand National Course)
    Grand National fences time now as the hunters take on the big obstacles. Coral’s money back if your horse falls offer is definitely worth thinking about for this race with these fences often causing issues – though far less than they used to that’s for sure. Balnaslow was second in this last year and will finish strongly. Wonderful Charm ran a shocker at Cheltenham and has some questions to answer here whilst On The Fringe loves this race as a dual winner. He is past his best but could still go well but the step back in trip for GRAND VISION makes him the one to beat. He is accomplished round here and has class about him. He failed to stay on the testing conditions last month at the Festival but, if over those exploits, is set to run a massive race. Unioniste is a classy type but is on the downgrade now.

4:40 – Red Rum Handicap Chase (Grade 3)
    This looks a good handicap with some improving types in here. One who loves this race and will go well but isn’t on the upgrade is Theinval. He’d prefer faster ground but that didn’t stop him going well in the Grand Annual and he will run his race again. Gino Trail went well off the front that day and is another who never runs a bad race. Doitforthevillage was back in sixth that day and could be a threat here but KINGS SOCKS is destined for bigger things and stepped back in trip looks to be well weighted here off 10st 13lb. He’s highly thought of in the Pipe yard and is taken as the selection here in what looks a classy renewal.

5:15 – Mares’ Standard NH Flat Race (Grade 2)
    A Mares bumper is a timid end to a fantastic days racing with a list of ‘could be anythings’. One of those that fits into that category is Dissavril who looked like one to follow last time when winning on the bridle. She may run into one for next year’s mares novice hurdle race at the Festival in GETAWAY KATIE MAI who has been brought over specifically for this from Ireland. She ran Champion Bumper winner Relegate close at the Dublin Festival last time and may be more streetwise than some of these who have only ever run once.

Bets:
    1:45 – CYRNAME @ 5/2
    2:20 – APPLES SHAKIR @ 2/1 & 9/4
    2:50 – MIGHT BITE @ 5/6 (NAP)
    3:25 – MY TENT OR YOURS @ 15/2
    4:05 – GRAND VISION @ 4/1
    4:40 – KINGS SOCKS @ 9/2
    5:15 – GETAWAY KATIE MAI @ 5/2

Good write up MOM.

Comment

Nicely done MOM. A slight reservation about the standard of racing at this meeting. In my book, they are some of the poorest grade 1s I've seen at a festival. That said, I'm sure they'll be competitive. Good luck all.

Comment

Great Preview M.O.M., thanks.

Comment

Thanks for this MOM, enjoyed them at the festival

Comment

Originally posted by robith View Post
            Thanks for this MOM, enjoyed them at the festival
            Cheers all. I post them in a few places now. Originally, a few years back I wrote them just for the Ipswich Football forum. Built up people who effectively just followed my selections. When some wanted to know why i fancied them, I started doing these write ups. Really only for Cheltenham, Royal Ascot, Epsom and the National meeting. Lots of people followed me with One For Arthur last year (at least 50) so that was a good few days.

As Ive been on here a while now, I thought I may as well start posting them at Cheltenham.

Doctorwu - I see what you mean but I think there’s still some top racing. It’s pretty much the best England have to offer outside of the top names like Altior and Buveur Dair. It’ll never be the festival as the Irish don’t come over but it’s still a nice addition to the racing calendar I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Middle_Of_March View Post
              Cheers all. I post them in a few places now. Originally, a few years back I wrote them just for the Ipswich Football forum. Built up people who effectively just followed my selections. When some wanted to know why i fancied them, I started doing these write ups. Really only for Cheltenham, Royal Ascot, Epsom and the National meeting. Lots of people followed me with One For Arthur last year (at least 50) so that was a good few days.

As Ive been on here a while now, I thought I may as well start posting them at Cheltenham.

Doctorwu - I see what you mean but I think there’s still some top racing. It’s pretty much the best England have to offer outside of the top names like Altior and Buveur Dair. It’ll never be the festival as the Irish don’t come over but it’s still a nice addition to the racing calendar I think.
              Fair play MOM.
              Im of the feeling that this meeting will become an irrelevant (excluding Nash)fixture in the future years. The way the NH calendar is shaping up for the future years the Dublin Festival will become the main Irish trial for the Cheltenham festival, followed by Fairyhouse & Punchestown. The Irish are starting to dominate NH racing so this meeting doesn't fit any timeframes for the horses. The English trainers (except Henderson & Nicholls) have brought this on themselves I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
              X