Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

The Melling Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Melling Chase

I absolutely love this race, it seems to be one where trainers are willing to let their horses have a go at stepping up in trip.

think Aintree should boost its prize money and make it a real stand out event, the Ryanair still doesn’t get the field you’d like it too given it is now the co-feature race with the stayers on the Thursday so I believe there is an opening for the Melling Chase to step up and become the premier 2.5m Chase of the year.

Sprinter Sacre vs Cue Card vs Flemenstar a couple of years back was undoubtedly the best race over the distance in regards to big names that I can remember in my time following the sport(I’ve said it before but I think SS performance was the best I’ve ever seen). With the pressure of Cheltenham gone we could have some fantastic races.

Henderson has spoken of dying to up Altior in trip
    Ricci and Mullins have thought about it with Douvan
    Nicholls has said he will up Prolitolgue in trip
    Waiting Patiently would have the bowl as an option but has showed himself at 2.5 to be top quality

Anyway I’d love the race to start attracting the top flight as it’s a race with real potential
    Last edited by Hurricane fly; 28 March 2018, 12:36 PM.

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
    I absolutely love this race, it seems to be one where trainers are willing to let their horses have a go at stepping up in trip.

think Aintree should boost its prize money and make it a real stand out event, the Ryanair still doesn’t get the field you’d like it too given it is now the co-feature race with the stayers on the Thursday so I believe there is an opening for the Melling Chase to step up and become the premier 2.5m Chase of the year.

Sprinter Sacre vs Cue Card vs Flemenstar a couple of years back was undoubtedly the best race over the distance in regards to big names that I can remember in my time following the sport(I’ve said it before but I think SS performance was the best I’ve ever seen). With the pressure of Cheltenham gone we could have some fantastic races.

Henderson has spoken of dying to up Altior in trip
    Ricci and Mullins have thought about it with Douvan
    Nicholls has said he will up Prolitolgue in trip
    Waiting Patiently would have the bowl as an option but has showed himself at 2.5 to be top quality

Anyway I’d love the race to start attracting the top flight as it’s a race with real potential
    The Melling Chase is the reason that the Ryanair shouldn't be in the racing calendar.

Waiting Patiently will probably come here but I think Altior is being saved for Sandown.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
      The Melling Chase is the reason that the Ryanair shouldn't be in the racing calendar.

Waiting Patiently will probably come here but I think Altior is being saved for Sandown.
      Yeah jono

Scrap the rubbishair

I love the Melling Chase too. For all the reasons in the OP.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Mullins (or anything Irish?) will have anything in it though and Altior won't run here this season.

Waiting Paitently would be pretty short wouldn't he? (I've not checked the betting actually)

Comment

God's Own
        Politilogue
        Cloudy Dream
        Fox Norton (?)
        Top Notch (?)

Not sure how many of those would turn up.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevloaf View Post
          Yeah jono

Scrap the rubbishair

I love the Melling Chase too. For all the reasons in the OP.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like Mullins (or anything Irish?) will have anything in it though and Altior won't run here this season.

Waiting Paitently would be pretty short wouldn't he? (I've not checked the betting actually)
          No market listed on oddschecker, which is another reason why Cheltenham becomes the be all and end all, we can bet on next years now but not even 3 weeks out and the only races with odds up are the Foxhunters, the Topham and the Grand National.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane fly View Post
            No market listed on oddschecker, which is another reason why Cheltenham becomes the be all and end all, we can bet on next years now but not even 3 weeks out and the only races with odds up are the Foxhunters, the Topham and the Grand National.
            I'm not sure when the entries are out for this, probably the 5 day stage.

Comment

God's Own
              Politilogue
              Cloudy Dream
              Fox Norton (?)
              Top Notch (?)

Not sure how many of those would turn up.
              Poor old bunch FM. Wouldn't carry much kudos winning this renewal Imo as the best aren't interested in this race.

Comment

The best of the Irish aren't interested this year which is a shame, but understandable.

*I wonder if Blako Des Flos might make the journey

Comment

I see Waiting Patiently is out of this 2nd rate festival. That'll teach them to bottle out of "The olympics of racing" when the ground was perfect for the horse. Rather you than me owners.

Comment

Originally posted by doctorwu View Post
                    I see Waiting Patiently is out of this 2nd rate festival. That'll teach them to bottle out of "The olympics of racing" when the ground was perfect for the horse. Rather you than me owners.
                    2nd rate festival? Which part of Aintree is second rate? Ok, Mullins and Elliott aren't bringing their top horses but the last few years the Aintree card would sit right alongside Cheltenham, especially its Thursday card.

You do talk some rubbish at times Doc

Comment

2nd rate festival? Which part of Aintree is second rate? Ok, Mullins and Elliott aren't bringing their top horses but the last few years the Aintree card would sit right alongside Cheltenham, especially its Thursday card.

You do talk some rubbish at times Doc
                      FM,
                      Alongside Cheltenham And you're saying I'm talking rubbish???:sigh.

Comment

FM,
                        Alongside Cheltenham And you're saying I'm talking rubbish???:sigh.
                        Thursday starts with 4 grade 1's. That's hardly second rate is it!

Comment

Thursday starts with 4 grade 1's. That's hardly second rate is it!
                          In name only.

Comment

In name only.
                            Mares Hurdles
                            Ryanair

Grade 1's in name only at Cheltenham then?

Comment

Love Aintree myself.

Would be happier if Punchestiwn moved in its entirety to the Leopardstown slot but with the weather will never happen

Comment

Working...
                              X