Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Handicapping of Irish horses at Cheltenham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicapping of Irish horses at Cheltenham

I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes before next year. Irish trained horses won 50% of the handicaps with less than 25% of the runners. There was a similar bias last year. Some examples are:
    1st and 2nd in the Pertemps with 5 of the 23 runners
    1st in the Brown Advisory Plate with 2 of the 22 runners
    2nd and 3rd in the Kim Muir with 3 of the 20 runners
    1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Martin Pipe with 9 of the 23 runners

Originally posted by redandwhite View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were changes before next year. Irish trained horses won 50% of the handicaps with less than 25% of the runners. There was a similar bias last year. Some examples are:
    1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Martin Pipe with 9 of the 23 runners
    Do you think that is just reflective of the fact the Irish have better horses though?

They probably had a similar win % in graded races? As they have better horses?

I'm not sure what could be done other than give a blanket rating of 3lbs to start with on every horse and then add on from there...

If that happened, they'd be less inclined to bring them over and the game would lose out as a whole?

Interesting stats though, certainly paying to focus on the Irish horses most of the time!
    Last edited by Kevloaf; 17 March 2018, 05:43 PM.

Comment

1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th in the Martin Pipe with 9 of the 23

runners

I think it's as much the mind set of trainers. There were plenty of well handicapped English horses that went for the graded novice races. The likes of vision des flos.
      if he was under Gordon elliot. Instead of winning his listed race losing his very lenient mark and going for the ballymore he'd have been kept fresh and gone straight for the county.
      https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
      Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

The late David Johnson came to the jump game as he couldnt afford to keep up with the price of flat horses.Is it a case of the Irish buying better horses?

Comment

I hold the view that Irish trainers are masters at hiding a horses true ability, I used to think that the Irish handicapper was incompetent but if trainers are deliberately running horses in unsuitable ground and/or over unsuitable distances it's difficult for him to get the mark right....

Comment

"Do you think that is just reflective of the fact the Irish have better horses though?"

I think you're missing the point of handicapping. On average, if you have a quarter of the runners in handicaps you would expect to win a quarter of the races if the handicapping is fair, not half the races.

Comment

Originally posted by somer1 View Post
              The late David Johnson came to the jump game as he couldnt afford to keep up with the price of flat horses.Is it a case of the Irish buying better horses?
              Not the case money wise as Venetian Williams spends fortunes in France.
              Jonjo spends fortunes on ptp horses. You'd be very suprised if you looked through the registrations and sales.

Willie mullins Harold kirk and Pierre boullard have an exceptional relationship with venders however And will be recommended horses.
              Last edited by Scooby91; 17 March 2018, 07:20 PM.
              https://scooby91horseracingtips.com/
              Use code "FJ" in your sign up name for bonus content!

Comment

Originally posted by Scooby91 View Post
                I think it's as much the mind set of trainers. There were plenty of well handicapped English horses that went for the graded novice races. The likes of vision des flos.
                if he was under Gordon elliot. Instead of winning his listed race losing his very lenient mark and going for the ballymore he'd have been kept fresh and gone straight for the county.
                I agree, but I think it also may be due to the fact that Mullins and Elliott just have so many of the good horses. Using The Storyteller as an example, if any other trainer had it I'm sure they'd have aimed him at one of the graded novice chases as he was good enough to contest them. However, as Elliott already had other graded level novice chasers it may have pushed him into thinking where else he could run...

Obviously there's nothing to stop English trainers doing that, but the sheer amount of Cheltenham-quality horses both Mullins and Elliot have probably pushes them to look for other opportunities for all their horses.

Comment

"Do you think that is just reflective of the fact the Irish have better horses though?"

I think you're missing the point of handicapping. On average, if you have a quarter of the runners in handicaps you would expect to win a quarter of the races if the handicapping is fair, not half the races.
                  In theory of course but in practice?

Unexposed horses/younger horses tend to win handicaps, exposed horses do not tend to.

Comment

Also, you have to take into account the Irish handicapper may be lenient to the better horses. It needs looking into. Ireland may have the better horses but that seems a bit simplistic when British trained horses won the three best races.

Comment

Maybe the Irish stewards are too lenient with non-triers and horses not running to gain the best possible placing. I can see there are legitimate ways to deceive the handicapper (wrong trip, unsuitable ground) but I don't believe Irish trainers would be better at exploiting that than British trainers. I think that would be an insult to their intelligence. This is clearly a complex issue but the figures show it needs to be investigated.

Comment

I'm not missing the point of handicapping at all.

The sample size of ten races is no where near enough to justify the "bias"

You couldn't have 2.5 horses win this year.

On average British handicappers win more flat sprint handicaps in Ireland as a percentage ... should that be addressed?

"The figures show it needs to be investigated"

Really? The figures based on 10 or 20 handicaps one week a year?
                        I think you're over analysing it

Not to mention if you believe there is a bias doesn't it narrow the field for you and make punting easier?

Comment

The Irish have less races to choose from too. So running them in the 'right races' could be harder? Less options ...

Will certainly be an element of hiding a mark but they still have to be high enough to get in.

Also, the British didn't have enough to fill the Ultima. A 3 mile handicap chase... maybe the problem ous that the British handicapper is rating the British horses too highly

Comment

One problem is that very few British horses travel to Ireland but plenty go the other way. If more British trainers sent horses to key meetings over there in between running them in the UK it would give the handicapper more opportunity to assess the relative form.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
                              One problem is that very few British horses travel to Ireland but plenty go the other way. If more British trainers sent horses to key meetings over there in between running them in the UK it would give the handicapper more opportunity to assess the relative form.

Totally agree.

I think it’s a monumental shame that Nicholls, Henderson etc. Don’t send more over to the festivals in Ireland. It would have been great to see more at the Dublin’s festival or travel over to Punchestown to end the year.

Comment

Working...
                              X