• Black Op

17 39.53%
  • Midnight Shadow

3 6.98%
  • Something else

9 20.93%
Page 2 of 91 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Folski View Post
    Just thinking here, does anyone think Finian's Oscar could go here?

When Bryan Cooper jumped off him at Cheltenham on trials day he said he hated the ground and finished distressed.

Am I mad in thinking he could be a player in this?
    I didn't take any negatives from his JLT run in terms of the fences? (I do admittedly need to watch it back in more detail)

But with an incredibly poor prep, he's finished 5th of 9. He was 4th in the betting... I don't think that is a disgraceful run (which was said on a podcast I listened to this morning).

He'd need to be a wild price to consider backing IMO .... but one to keep an eye on as he must have ability hidden away

Top Amateur
    "Penhill, Max Dynamite and Wicklow Brave will have targets on the Flat"

Hear more from Willie Mullins in tomorrow's Racing Post
    Should be out today

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane fly View Post
    Should be out today
    Thanks in advance if anyone can post...

I see Coral have pushed out Penhill to 9/1 for next years Stayers Hurdle after his defeat to Faugheen earlier in the week...and though it may not be a price that grabs many peoples attentions this far out i'm shocked at his price being pushed out.

Take Faugheen out of the equation and he's beaten the rest of the field by just under 5 lengths and he would have been around a 4/1 shot at best. Turning the bend it looked like he was ready to go by Faugheen for a split second and win the race, he was comprehensively beaten 13 lengths by the end but for me he lost nothing in defeat, he was just up against a superstar of a horse who ran a sensational race.

Penhill does have an early entry in the Ascot Gold Cup which ties in with the earlier comments. It's not ideal for risk of injury but even so he has absolutely no question mark surrounding which race he will go to at next years festival.

Plenty were concerned about forming too strong an opinion of the Stayers Hurdle form due to how it was run this year. The Punchestown Stayers Hurdle seemed (to me, I could be wrong) to be run at a much better pace but even if you still had that doubt, at the end of the day the horse has now got form of 11212 over 3 miles so it's a question mark that holds only a small bit of a concern for me.

The makeup of the race will in all likelyhood change considerably from now until March but the market as it is right now but i'm more than happy to get involved with Penhill at that price.

2.5pts 9/1 Added

Identity Thief is still 20's - he never got involved but i'd be interested to see him next season over the trip again (I wouldn't be thinking about backing until then with him). He still managed to come 4th and i'm sure Henry wouldn't have even gone near that race if it was up to him and not Gigginstown trying to help out Elliott coming so soon after Aintree and having only just got the horse 'back'.

Call Me Lord is also 20/1 after demolishing the field at Sandown just now. If you take Wholstone running to form than it really was a massive performance. Going left handed is still a massive concern for connections though and was re-iterated after the race. I'll generally not rule out a horse based on a factor that hasn't properly been proven - for all Henderson says he must go right handed and will have every day with the horse as evidence to make that judgement, he has actually never raced that way yet so there is a chance he may actually be ok. It's enough to make me hold fire, especially when you consider Henderson was talking about novice chasing next season potentially.
    Last edited by jono; 04-28-2018 at 04:30 PM.

Top Amateur
    One not listed in the betting for this that I think might have a chance is Delta Work, although I would want a nice price.

I believe he became the first French bred to win the Pertemps, the second 5 year old to win and the first 5 year old to win in 30 years.

Next time out he is beaten a neck by Next Destination in a grade 1 at Punchestown and was staying on well and if he had a better jump at the last may have won, in 3rd was the Albert Bartlett winner 0.5L behind. Delta work looked like he appreciated the better ground. Ballyward was back in 4th a good 20L further back. He is also a course and distance winner at the festival and seems to like a battle.

The Next Destination form is rock solid - 3rd to Samcro (multiple G1 winner) and Black Op (won G1 at Aintree) - he was staying on like train at Cheltenham and looked to want every inch of the 3m on his Ballymore (still think of it as the Neptune) run.

Gigginstown have some set of novice chasers for next season -

1 - Mengli Kahn (3rd Supreme is confirmed to go chasing, although only 5 was a 2nd season novice last year)
    2 - Samcro (surely goes chasing given connections)
    3 - Dortmund Park - a horse I'm a huge fan of, grade 1 winner at Punchestown albeit a bit lucky some might say.
    4 - Blow By Blow - Martin Pipe winner, flopped twice since.
    5 - Champagne Classic - G1 winner over hurdles and festival winner, presumably back this year after missing last?
    6 - Farclas - Triumph hurdle winner, strong stayer (should we look at his for the 4m and XC in time?)
    7 - Delta Work - Pertemps winner and G1 runner up at Punchestown.
    8 - Cracking Smart - was fav for Albert Bartlett till he picked up an injury a few weeks before the festival.

That is the list off the top of my head, I reckon Farclas and Delta work will probably stay over hurdles, I think Tiger Roll stayed over hurdles as a 5yo. While connections have sent 5 year olds turning 6 novice chasing before - see Disko as a prime example - I think they might hold tough with Delta Work given the fact that Elliott trains all 8 horses I have listed above. One negative might be the fact Identity Thief won the 3m G1 at Aintree ( I was on at 18s by the way ). What do ye think?

Arkle - Samcro
    JLT - Dortmund Park
    RSA - Cracking Smart
    4m - Bbb / CC

???

Delta Work will go NH Chase I think. Stamina looks his thing.

Can’t see Samcro in the Arkle at all. In fact I’d say there are three races more likely he’d be in (Champions hurdle, JLT and RSA). The

Beware that French horses are developed much earlier than British/Irish NH breds, jumping brush hurdles at 2 and fences at 3 their primes years are 5/6 and often regress soon after.
    If he does stay over timber he could be a serious challenger, but I suspect he won't improve on what we've seen so far...

I would have the Arkle firmly down the list of Samcros likely targets

Did anyone pick up on what Penhill's "flat target" will be?

I am still hopeful it doesn't happen.

Agree 9/1 is a decent poke on him still as jono says. I invested at 8/1 and since then he's had the defeat to Faugheen and gone out a point... I'm not rushing to take 9/1 however it is one I'll have some more on before the end of the summer I'd imagine

Top Amateur
    Wasn’t it supposed to be the Ascott Gold Cup last year?