Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    What will Colour Squadron be rated at after today ?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinter View Post
    What will Colour Squadron be rated at after today ?
    Very low 130s. Possibly overdone 132 was the lowest to get in last year.

Morning Glory
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo View Post
    I think they will just about get in. Looks the most likely one in this race to me. JP seems to have an even stronger hand in handicaps than normal this year.

ABU
    Quote Originally Posted by mayo View Post
    I would laugh my hole off if he missed the cut. It is a tight handicap and best horse usually wins dont think they needed to push it so much.

JohnC
    This race has more plots than { insert whatever}

Mordin picks another one for you to look at

ATTAGLANCE LOOKS A GOOD BET FOR CHELTENHAM

The Scottish Future Champions Novice Chase at Musselburgh was one of those all too common jump races featuring a small field where none of the jockeys wanted to ask their mount to lead. So they stood there for several seconds after the race had officially started.

I reckon the solution to this problem is to have a muck spreader at the start of each jumps race which is activated two seconds after the starter drops their flag. The prospect of being blasted by a high pressure spray containing several hundred gallons of pig poop would be a great way to motivate jockeys to get a race under way. It would also add to the entertainment.

In any event ATTAGLANCE (28-pace adjusted 38) was the horse whose jockey eventually decided to kick on and the others allowed him to go on by about eight lengths despite setting a very slow pace.

It's not surprising that Attaglance's jockey was the first whose nerve broke. The horse has been caught flat-footed several times when a slow early gallop has quickened, including in one of his early starts where this got his jockey into trouble under the non-trier's rule.

Unfortunately Attaglance had gone so slow in front it was inevitable that a sprint finish would develop, and he had trouble coping with it. He just lost out to two rivals who had a better finishing kick. I've little doubt that in a more strongly run race he'd have been a clear winner.

Attaglance has now lost all four times he's run in races with nine runners or less like this one. He is always likely to have trouble in contests with small fields where he cannot be covered up as he was when scoring his two big Festival wins last season.

However one thing this race showed is that Attaglance jumps amazingly well for a novice. He jumped like an old hand, gaining ground at every fence, even when the race turned into a sprint in the closing stages. At one point it actually looked like he might be able to jump his way back into the contest but he ended up losing by just over a length.

I now see Attaglance as a banker for the Cheltenham Festival in the big two and a half mile novice handicap chase. The race is limited to horses with official ratings of 140 or lower, so it excludes pretty much any horse that might have the ability to trouble Attaglance. It's a handicap that features a big field and is therefore near certain to be run at a searching early pace which will suit Attaglance admirably. His superior jumping would give him a big edge against his novice rivals. And he's shown that he tends to peak in the spring.

attaglance got 133 which should be right on the money.

JohnC
    Quote Originally Posted by Morning Glory View Post
    I think they will just about get in. Looks the most likely one in this race to me. JP seems to have an even stronger hand in handicaps than normal this year.
    No sign of a rating ..presume the Sunday runs carry forward to the following week before they are assessed

Yeehaa
    Quote Originally Posted by ABU View Post
    I would laugh my hole off if he missed the cut. It is a tight handicap and best horse usually wins dont think they needed to push it so much.
    Well out gents got 139...still gets in the race though. Job done. 6lbs to give to attaglance though?

steepledan
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaa View Post
    Well out gents got 139...still gets in the race though. Job done. 6lbs to give to attaglance though?
    Where did you find his new mark? TIA.

Quote Originally Posted by steepledan View Post
    Where did you find his new mark? TIA.
    http://www.britishhorseracing.com/re...media/ratings/