Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Champion Bumper 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nicky doesn’t like the bumper very much so I’ve been handed a very nice spare from Tony Martin, BLACKMAIL in the Weatherby's Champion Bumper (5.15).

He won very easily last time and I galloped him recently and he couldn’t have done any better, he worked really well.

He gave me the impression that better ground would be a help to him in a race that’s always hard race to win but this horse has the benefit of experience having run three times.

And Tony is very sweet on his chances – and that’s no bad thing, I can assure you

Comment

Jessica Harrington likes Blackmail too..

The other one I fancy for the day is Blackmail in the Champion Bumper. I liked the way he won at Leopardstown in January but even more than that, being by Black Sam Bellamy, he will appreciate the improvement in the ground which is likely.

It is a very open race as usual and we will be keeping an eye out for Shield, given that Kate rode him to win for Aidan last time out. It’s tough for four-year-olds though. And Shield is similar to Jezki last year, who won that same race before going to Cheltenham.

The four-year-old that might have a chance is Liz Doyle’s Le Vent D’Antan, who will be going into the race fresh. He was impressive in Leopardstown. But I think Blackmail might be the one.

Comment

Mordin

I was a bit surprised to see BRIAR HILL (41) charge from the back to win the Cheltenham Festival Bumper in fast time by seven lengths. I thought the two miles would prove a bit short for him in Grade 1 company. But the combination of a strong pace, slow ground and a testing course helped make the race more of a stamina test than most races over such a short trip.

Briar Hill cost his new owners 100,000 pounds after he’d won a maiden point to point in Ireland by three lengths from a horse that won a novice hurdle next time. He does look built for chasing.

On his only start under rules before Cheltenham Briar Hill contested a five runner Bumper race at Thurles which was run at a crawl for the first half mile. He disputed the lead throughout and it was only in the last quarter mile that he was asked to race properly. He sprinted home well enough but looked a little awkward and uncomfortable being asked to go so fast. He covered the last quarter mile only a couple of seconds faster than the winner of the mares maiden hurdle earlier on the card where they’d gone a strong pace throughout. If he had the pace to win a Grade 1 event over two miles I thought he would surely have been able to produce better acceleration. But I hadn't considered what would happen in a more strongly run contest.

If he were mine I'd be tempted to put Briar Hill straight back over fences. But he's only five and ran so fast here it makes sense to try him over hurdles next season.

REGAL ENCORE (38) ran a good race to take second. But it's worth noting that he avoided the traffic in the race by being kept wide most of the way. This may well have improved his finishing position.

Regal Encore quickened away to win a Chepstow Bumper easily on his previous start, having taken one on Southwell’s Fibresand earlier.

He certainly looked good in that race, quickening away in the style of a good horse and showed he could run faster here. Anthony Honeyball rates him the best horse he has trained. He's more a hurdling type and looks a solid prospect for the good two mile novice hurdles next season.

Third placed GOLANTILLA (37) was the pick on my figures, having earned a rating of 39 from me on his previous start. He kept on strongly after moving into contention rounding the home turn.

Golantilla hosed up by ten lengths in a maiden point to point for four year olds in December then repeated the trick in a Cork Bumper. In that race he accelerated sharply off an ordinary pace to clock a decent time. He came home over the last mile a remarkable 4.4 seconds faster than multiple Grade 1 winner Blackstairmountain even when I add in the 0.7 second per hurdle. My sectional timing formula indicates it was a performance that would win most renewals of the Cheltenham Festival Bumper.

Golantilla’s trainer said after that race “That was exactly what I knew he'd do. This horse is an absolute machine. We have some decent handicappers at home and they can't get anywhere near him. We might go to Naas or Fairyhouse with him now or else straight to Cheltenham. The Champion Bumper is the aim with this fella and always has been.”

The owner turned down 190,000 guineas for Golantilla at Brightwells sales and switched him to new trainer Tony Martin for Cheltenham. I'd say Martin has a potential Grade 1 winner on his hands, and Golantilla could well start winning at that level in the big Bumper at the Punchestown Festival.

THE LIQUIDATOR (37) was always prominent and kept on well for fourth.

The Liquidator is a chasing sort like many of these, but he’s more athletic than most and looks a future two and a half mile chaser rather than a three miler. He had already run in two big Bumper races, which is unusual for horses in this race.

First time out he ran in the valuable sales race at Fairyhouse in which he and two others kicked clear in impressive style from three furlongs out, leaving the rest of a big field sixteen lengths and more behind. He kept on strongly but just went under by half a length.

Next time out The Liquidator had his first run for David Pipe and ran second in a strongly run Listed Bumper over this course and distance in November. He was held up early in eighth place, about ten lengths off the strong gallop the leaders were setting. He moved up quite rapidly coming down the hill as they headed into the last half mile and was in second place as they turned into the straight. He’d been niggled along from some way out though and began to tire as they kept climbing the uphill finish. The winner got away from him as he tired and he ended up second by five lengths.

Switched to a minor race next time The Liquidator hosed up by 24 lengths. His performance at Cheltenham suggests he probably wants two and a half miles to produce his best.

Fifth placed PURPLE BAY (37) was moving eye-catchingly well rounding the home turn but found himself caught in traffic behind rivals. He picked up well once in the clear and is clearly smart.

On his only previous start Purple Bay was ridden with great confidence at the tail of the field. And it was easy to see why when he surged forward when barely asked to do so entering the straight. He looked set to win easily until you looked across and saw Wilde Blu Yonder also full of running. The pair duelled over the last quarter mile and pulled well clear of the previous winner Un Ace, covering that part of the race a remarkable 4.5 seconds faster than the pattern class Minella Forfitness in a good hurdle on the same card.

Purple Bay always looked to be going that bit better and was still running strongly crossing the line though he only prevailed by a short head.

The early pace was good enough to produce an unusually good time for a bumper race. When I factor in the fast final quarter mile it pushes the pace adjusted rating sky high. Clearly it was a big performance.

Purple Bay is a good moving sort that has the size for jumping but also a smart turn of foot. It could be that he will prove better suited by faster ground than he encountered at Cheltenham. I'd be wary of opposing him if he runs again this season. And I'd expect him to prove a Cheltenham candidate over hurdles next term.

PURE SCIENCE (37) stayed on really well in the closing stages to finish sixth.

He is a powerful chasing sort that’s so strong he looks a bit muscle-bound.

His strength certainly helped him on his debut at Warwick when he kept on ploughing through the soft ground till he eventually began to power clear in the last furlong. But we saw the flip side of his strength over speed disposition when he floundered in a sprint finish at Newbury.

When the leaders finally began to slow in the last furlong at Newbury both he Caledonia finished with a rush. When he gets the chance to run longer distances, especially over fences he should be able to win good races.

Comment

Working...
        X