Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Josses Hill franks bumper form

The five year old changed hands after finishing a 22 length second to the well-regarded, and unbeaten, Faugheen in a Punchestown bumper in May and made an immediate return on the investment when making a winning debut in the same sphere for Nicky Henderson at Ascot in November.

Another tip for Neptune

Faugheen is a horse I’ve been very taken with on all his starts. He appears to have plenty of gears and no lack of stamina and he could easily run in any of the novice hurdles. But I think his target has always been the Neptune, the race where you need both speed and stamina to win. People will point to Pont Alexandre as last year’s hot pot for the same connections only finishing 3rd in the Neptune. But I’ve heard from a couple of separate people that the horse badly sweat up on the day and didn’t seem right. Ruby couldn’t make use of him out in front like he wanted to, hence the rather sedate pace, the horse hasn’t been seen since due to problems and then injury so I’m happy to ignore the inevitable comparisons. Faugheen has had the most glowing reports of all the Mullins novices and is a very exciting horse.

I’m also very keen on Faugheen by simple fact of where are the rivals? It looks a race seriously lacking any strength in depth.

Apache Stronghold has had setback after setback since he won in Navan in November and may be going straight to the festival, a big negative in my opinion.

The Tullow Tank has option of Supreme or Neptune and I’d expect him to face off with Faugheen in the Deloitte next month, if he is beaten there I’m sure they’ll try avoid Faugheen in the Neptune and aim him at the very open Supreme.

Briar Hill won’t face Faugheen and on breeding he’s a strong stayer, same sire as Morning Assembly among others who are out and out stayers. Aided by his lazy running style where he only does enough to win he looks tailor made for the 3 mile race.

Deputy Dan’s trainer said he’d go for the 3 mile race but if the ground was testing he’d go for the Neptune. It’s rare we see any testing ground at Cheltenham so he looks an unlikely runner.

Red Sherlock has had two facile wins at odds on and it’s unknown as to his quality. At this stage he looks the be the pick of the English horses as he is unexposed and was an expensive purchase.

Royal Boy showed some tenacity to get the better of Josses Hill, but the latter was beaten 22l by Faugheen in a bumper so you’d not be too worried about the merits of that Tolworth win in relation to this race.

So it's a horse who I'd imagine will go off less than 2/1 for this race meaning there is juice in the 5/1 available, especially as VC are top price and have non runner free bet concession.

Www.jumpsadvisor.com

The AR on Faugheen http://thenhanalysisroom.blogspot.co...eliminary.html

Chief among those in waiting is Faugheen. Reference to Pont Alexandre (favourite but well beaten in this race last year for the same stable) is worth dismissing unless it focuses for comparative purposes on their respective physicality, which is the significant aspect. Pont Alexandre had the build of, and ran akin to that of, a strapping three mile chaser. He powered his frame through deep ground against inferior rivals but he did not do it quickly and the accompanying disparity between racecourse evidence, Festival race suitability and general expectation bordered on the enormous. Faugheen is much better situated. He is quite a narrow horse. His chest and shoulders do not offer a great deal of staying power at this stage; he is built to race quickly when required, but the engine does not necessarily cut out over longer trips. Although he is something of an unknown quantity - because he has simply outclassed all his rivals to date - that is not an excuse to opine that he "could be anything" when quite clearly that is not the case (nor is it ever). We also know more about him on the racecourse than was the case with Pont Alexandre, for example. Faugheen won a 24f Point race (as did Simonsig) before dismantling Josses Hill, who looks very promising himself this season. Including his Point victory, the following in-race comments appear: "qckn clr", "quickened clear", "travelled easily...not extended", "eased into lead next...easily" and from his latest and least impressive performance, "easily". That was over three miles in heavy ground but by again outclassing inferior rivals it was a performance that strongly evidenced why three miles under Festival conditions is not something that would be particularly suitable. His On/Behind bridle ratio is very much tilted in favour of the former.

Only recently, Simonsig and The New One's "jumping" was sometimes brought up as a negative, yet both won this race comfortably, Simonsig going on to win an Arkle Chase despite carrying an infection and The New One going on to win an International Hurdle this season. Hurdling techniques are rarely perfect; they combine with or result from the physicality of the horse and the conditions in which they race on any given day. Faugheen on occasion jumps from the shoulder, so he will run to a hurdle and push his shoulders over first leaving the legs a bit stiff and straight as they go over, rather than those components working together in a more fluid movement. Such aspects of micro-analysis rarely present a problem to elite horses so if Faugheen is a top class novice in waiting his hurdling will not affect his Neptune performance in any significant way. As of yet though we have not seen him switch behind the bridle, and that aspect of his physicality is still largely unknown.

Donn

Faugheen’s form just gets stronger and stronger as time goes by. Even when he stands in his box, his form gets stronger.

The latest Faugheen fillip came when Josses Hill ran such a mighty race to finish second, just a half a length behind his stable companion Royal Boy, in the Grade 1 Tolworth Hurdle at Kempton last Saturday, the pair of them clear of their rivals. Josses Hill is the horse who finished second to Willie Mullins’ horse in his bumper at Punchestown last May when trained by Andy Oliver, 22 lengths behind the winner. He is an exciting prospect now for Nicky Henderson.

That bumper is working out well. As well as Josses Hill, third-placed Stonebrook, trained then by David Kiely, has run in two bumpers since for Donald McCain, and has won both, while fifth-placed Rock The World has finished second to three good rivals in his three hurdle races since.

Faugheen has now won all five races that he has contested, a point-to-point, a bumper, a maiden hurdle, a novice hurdle and a Grade 3 hurdle. He has beaten 51 rivals and he has won his five races by an aggregate of over 45 lengths. The comments for each of his five wins were, respectively, easily, impressive, not extended, easily and easily. He has won on good ground, yielding ground, good to yielding ground and heavy ground, and he has won over two miles, two and a half miles, two and three-quarter miles and three miles.

He could be an Albert Bartlett horse in March, but then again, he could be a Neptune Hurdle horse, and there is no telling what he could be after March and beyond.

He said: "He's a horse we like a lot, he's a horse that's hard to keep straight. We struggled with that last year, but we've been very lucky this year and Willie has done a brilliant job.

"He certainly has toe, so I think two miles, two and a half miles will be good.

"He can get the three miles as he's shown (but) he runs a bit free, that may be a concern.

"If we can keep him right, I think he's got a great chance wherever he runs."

Bill Esdaile ‏@BillEsdaile 9m

One negative that came out of this morning's trip has to be the well being of Faugheen. Mullins expressed that he hasn't been happy with him

Today

"Faugheen jumps hurdles," Ricci told At The Races. "If they (Annie Power and Vautour) jumped (fences) I think it's pretty clear, given that performance at Punchestown, the Champion Hurdle would be Faugheen's target, but it depends what we do with those two."

Ruby

Faugheen also worked well this morning and it is all systems go for Ascot – he should be going there.

I’ll be at Ascot on Saturday for Faugheen’s seasonal debut in the Coral Hurdle over 2m 3f – a race won by Annie Power last year. His Champion Hurdle credentials are on the line after winning the Neptune Novices Hurdle at Cheltenham and then bolting in at Punchestown after that.

He has to justify the impression he made last season and improve again if he’s going to win the Champion Hurdle – but he’s unbeaten so far and I’ll be looking for a good performance again from him.

Am I in a dilemma over Faugheen and Hurricane Fly after his weekend win? At this stage of the season you hope to have two or three candidates for the Champion Hurdle and hope one of them makes it there.

Much excitement understandably greeted the news - delivered simultaneously by Willie Mullins at the HRI Awards and here by Rich Ricci - that Faugheen was an intended runner in the Christmas Hurdle, but how good could the horse actually be? Nick Luck described him separately as a "frankly ridiculous animal" and "one of the most absurd horses in training", but Nicholls jokingly saw things from the other side of the coin. "He looked very good, but he beat a couple of slow stayers the other day at Ascot," said the champion trainer, to much laughter. What did Ricci have to say about running plans for Faugheen over the Christmas season? "Being candid, Christmas time is going to be another re-match between Hurrcane Fly and Jezki [at Leopardstown] which I'm fine with, but as a second-season novice do I really want to be taking those guys on?" he said, thinking aloud. "Do I really want to be taking on any experienced hurdlers like Paul's horse [Irving]? The Chirstmas Hurdle seems a good race for us here. The alternative is the race at Cheltenham at New Year's Day which Annie Power won in which he only carries a half-penalty for his Grade One win. We'll see how the race is looking. What he's up against is going to be the most important thing."