Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Barry Geraghty sounds hopeful .."Quevega a 9 year old mare"

My last ride of the day is UNE ARTISTE in the OLBG Mares Hurdle (4.40) when she has the difficult task of dethroning the reigning queen, Quevega.

However, I’m going into this with a very positive approach because once again you’ve got to take it on trust as to how the favourite is because we haven’t seen her since last April.

Her record is there in front of us but she’s a nine-year-old mare and nothing lasts forever and I feel that Une Artiste is on the way up and improving.

She loves this trip and the softer ground and is good at the track. She’s a good bit smarter than she was a year ago when she won the Fred Winter.

I haven’t been on her recently but I’ve see her perform at home and I’d be more than happy.

Hoof
    The County Carlow handler said: "Quevega has done everything well, we think. Not having had a run, it can be difficult to gauge her, but we think she's as good, if not better, than last year

"She's travelled great, she seems in really good form and the ground won't be an issue for her as she handles all types of going.

"We would not consider running her again on Thursday. You might consider something like that if a horse was very fit and had a lot of match practice, maybe had four or five runs during the season, but it would be very unfair to ask her to run again so soon.

"(It's) like footballers having a match coming back from an injury and then being asked to tog out again two days later. Even though you get very fit from the training ground, there is no comparison. Match fitness is a different thing, it's like race fitness," Mullins told RTE.

Ruby Walsh has ridden Quevega to each of her previous Cheltenham triumphs and is hoping she can secure her place in racing history.

He said: "She's in great form, she looks really well and Willie has her exactly where he wants her. Only Golden Miller has won at the Festival five times, so hopefully she can join him."

This race revolves around four-time winner Quevega, bidding to become the first horse since Golden Miller to win the same race at the Festival five times.

We don’t get to see her very often but Willie Mullins’ mare is reportedly in great shape and connections are even optimistic that the nine-year-old is still on the up.

She is versatile in terms of ground and travels very well through her races. If at her best, it’ll take a huge performance to lower her colours.

Gordon Elliott’s Mae’s Choice won two Grade 3 hurdles last season but she hasn’t found that sort of form this term.

She’ll handle the ground, but needs to resume her progress of last season.

Peter Fahey’s Shop DJ was just five lengths behind Quevega in this race last year but she has improvement to find if she’s to reverse that form.

Best of the Irish: Quevega