Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Champion Chase 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champion Chase 2018

Hopefully it's Altior v Douvan.

The latest from WPM on Douvan (taken from ATR website).....

Willie Mullins expects Douvan to return to the fray within the next few months

The exceptional seven-year-old has been sidelined since the Cheltenham Festival in March when he sustained a stress fracture to his pelvis during the Queen Mother Champion Chase.

Douvan has now made a full recovery, with his trainer keen to give him a run in the autumn.

The Shloer Chase at Cheltenham in November has been mentioned as a possible comeback race for the eight-time Grade One winner.

Mullins told the Irish Independent: "Douvan is in tip-top shape, I am delighted to say.

"The Hilly Way at Cork is a race we've had plenty of runners in but with it being in December we'd be inclined to look at an earlier race for his comeback run, potentially."

I hope I'm wrong, but I can't see it.

Maybe a comeback run over 2m, but then I would imagine that they would step Douvan up in trip... at least to see what he can do.

I haven't backed anything in this yet.
    Altior - 6/4 is too short for me this far out (unless factored into a multiple or two)
    Douvan - Doubts over his participation.

The only one that tempts me slightly at the moment is Great Field.
    I wouldn't back him EW this far out, but I could be tempted with a small investment @ 12's

Anyone else dabbled or have any strong thoughts?

Comment

I've got 5pts on Altior at 6/1.

Great Field, Min and Douvan all appear to be very credible opponents and I think Altior is too short at the moment.

It is unlikely that Altior will meet any of the three mentioned above on route to Cheltenham so I'd imagine his price will hold up, at least until Christmas.

Comment

Physically and temperamentally, Min was a totally different horse last season from the season before. They were very hopeful of giving Altior a hard race in the Arkle and, if he's back in the same shape I think they'd be keen to take Nicky's nag on this season.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
          Physically and temperamentally, Min was a totally different horse last season from the season before. They were very hopeful of giving Altior a hard race in the Arkle and, if he's back in the same shape I think they'd be keen to take Nicky's nag on this season.
          Thanks Archie - good insight

My only worry with Min would be that with only two "processions" under his belt, he has vastly less experience in his Novice season compared to Altior, who won some competitive affairs.. But then again, the odds reflect that.

I've got 5pts on Altior at 6/1.
          FM - When did you get those odds? Before The Arkle?

Comment

FM - When did you get those odds? Before The Arkle?
            Yeah - Paddy Power were still offering 6/1 for a few minutes after he won the Game Spirit in February. It was a mistake by them as they had cut him for the Arkle but left that market unchanged for about 20 minutes.

Comment

Min vs Altior
              As Douvan mops up the Ryanair. Boring.

Comment

It has to be Douvan over Min, surely. Unless Douvan goes for the Gold Cup.

If Douvan ends up running in the Ryanair it'd be a disgrace!

Comment

Should demote it to a grade 2 and see if Mullins would still send the likes of UDS and Vautour!
                  Grade 1 is a Grade 1 and no-one wants to see it... but if Yorkhill is looking like a Gold Cup horse and Altior looks a champion, I think they could take the pathetic easy option. Let us all hope I am wrong

I did see someone popped Min in for the Ryanair (might have been a mayo multiple)... I'd welcome that with Douvan taking on Altior.... it'd make Wednesday unmissable.

Comment

I genuinely can see Douvan going for the Ryanair. He'll come out in Ireland and beat a load of plodders, go for the King George, Min will take on Douvan in the Queen Mother, Ricci will say that Douvan goes for the Gold Cup or nothing and then leaves him in the Ryanair, the Gold Cup backers will go mad and then Douvan wins the Ryanair at 1/4.

While i'm at it i'll go buy a lottery ticket

Comment

And when punters do a gofundme contribution to Ricci's training fees they'll have a reason to bitch about where the horses run.

I backed Douvan for the Gold Cup about this time last year and still believe it's his destiny. I was also on Vautour the previous year but I've absolutely no problem with owner and trainer leaving it until the last minute to go for what they see as the best targets.

Comment

Originally posted by archie View Post
                        And when punters do a gofundme contribution to Ricci's training fees they'll have a reason to bitch about where the horses run.

I backed Douvan for the Gold Cup about this time last year and still believe it's his destiny. I was also on Vautour the previous year but I've absolutely no problem with owner and trainer leaving it until the last minute to go for what they see as the best targets.
                        Me neither archie. I don't pay the fees so I can't moan.

Comment

I want to see the best horses racing against each other. The thought of Douvan running in the Ryanair, and avoiding a clash with Altior, or alternatively running in the Gold Cup would be poor for racing.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                            I want to see the best horses racing against each other. The thought of Douvan running in the Ryanair, and avoiding a clash with Altior, or alternatively running in the Gold Cup would be poor for racing.
                            I agree that running in the Ryanair would be poor for racing but I don't think Douvan in the Gold Cup would be bad for racing - of course depending on who ran in the Queen Mother instead.

Comment

Neither do I Ryan. My post above is misleading.

I'd be delighted if he ran in either the Champion Chase or Gold Cup. I'd be extremely underwhelmed if he turned up in the Ryanair.

Comment

Working...
                              X