Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Philip Hobbs Stable Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philip Hobbs Stable Tour

Another one doing the rounds ...

Big Easy
    Two and a half mile novice hurdler that won twice over that trip but performed better in defeat and reached a mark of 136. Raced off 138 on first run this season and was a creditable fifth of 23 to Bondage in two mile five handicap at Cheltenham October 20. “Ex-Flat horse that has had a few problems which could stop him but on the other hand he has the ability to win a decent handicap hurdle. He certainly won’t go novice chasing.”

Bold Henry

Progressive in novice hurdles winning his final start over two at Exeter in May and made a pleasing reappearance in two-mile beginners’ chase at Exeter on October 23, just being run out of the finish. “I’m very pleased with him and the hope has been that he might develop into an Arkle horse. He made a pleasing debut over fences and only got caught after making quite a bad mistake three out. He’d jumped well up until then.”

Calusa Comet

Unraced. “Everything he’s done has been pretty good so he might be worth watching in a bumper. Seems alright.”

Captain Chris

Top-class novice chase who won on his last three starts in season 2010/11 including the Arkle at Cheltenham beating Finian’s Rainbow. Ended with mark of 160 and failed in four starts last season off 164 but not disgraced when fourth in Ryanair Chase at the Cheltenham Festival over two miles five. Was well beaten third in King George first attempt at three miles. “The Amlin Chase at Ascot will be his first race of the season and after that I’ll think about the King George again. He definitely is best right-handed but his Ryanair run shows he can operate the other way. It was disappointing he didn’t win last year but he does miss penalties in some races this season because of that.”

Chance du Roy

Rose from 137 to 148 last season winning two handicap chases over two and a half miles but best effort on defeat last start when four and a half lengths second to Always Waining in the Topham at Aintree. “The problem now is where to go off 150. The plan is to go back to Aintree for the Grand Sefton on December 8 and it’s possible I might give him a run over hurdles before that. He does like soft ground.”

Cheltenian

Won the Champion Bumper at the Cheltenham Festival in 2011 but off the track since. “He got a tendon problem after Cheltenham which wasn’t by any means bad and we thought about bringing him back last season. I’m waiting for him to come back but he’d be the type that could go a long way as a novice hurdler.”

Colour Squadron

Useful novice hurdler from two to two and a half miles and rated 141, he was travelling ok and falling three out in Aintree novice won by Simonsig. Starts with new mark of 143. “I don’t know whether he’ll stay over hurdles or go over fences because he does need more experience. He did fall twice last season and needs more schooling before we can make a decision. He isn’t over-big.”

Danandy

Won Fontwell bumper last season then second in a novice hurdle before finishing well beaten on final hurdle start in March. “He came back from his last run very ill which would explain it, in fact he was probably never quite right last season. I think this could be quite a nice horse and he’s done very well.”

Duke Of Lucca

Ended last season on a high, winning extended three-mile novice chases off 142 and 144 and stays on the latter mark. “The problem for him is that he doesn’t want the ground too soft but if the conditions are ok then there’s a valuable handicap at Ascot on November 3 that would suit. That’s three miles and he could be a horse for the Hennessy but a lot depends on the ground and Ascot.”

Fighting Flynn

Useful novice hurdler last season around two and a half miles and rated 125 when winning novice event at Kempton in March. “It might not have been much of a novice that he won but should be much better over fences this season over three miles. Been backward but now coming right.”

Fingal Bay

Unbeaten in first four novice hurdles last season around two and a half miles. Forced to miss Cheltenham and highly creditable second to Lovcen first attempt at three miles at Aintree in April having moved to a mark of 153. Looked efficient on novice chase debut over two and a half at Chepstow on October 13. “A very good start over fences and I consider things are going very much the right way. The next option would be the Rising Stars at Wincanton on November 10 or a two and a half mile novice chase at Cheltenham the following week. It might be that we go for experience around Cheltenham sooner rather than later as that’s where I hope he’s going to end up in either the Jewson or the RSA Chase.”

Gas Line Boy

Irish point winner who won a two mile six hurdle on debut at Wincanton in October by seven lengths. “He wears a hood to keep him quiet and he behaved well at Wincanton where it was probably the easier division that he won. He’ll go for another small race to get him jumping right, possibly Exeter on November 6.”

Gauvain

Previously trained by Charlie Mann and Nick Williams and effective from two to two and a half miles. Without a win since the 2011 Peterborough Chase at Huntingdon but had dropped from 162 to 159 by the end of last season. “Lovely horse and it’s possible I will have to run both him and Wishfull Thinking in the Old Roan Chase at Aintree on October 27. I think he’s a class horse, good fresh but certainly doesn’t want extremes of ground.”

Irish Buccaneer

Won sole start - a Chepstow bumper in April. “He’s schooled well and I’d be hopeful he’ll be a very nice novice hurdler and will be out towards the end of November. I’d probably start him at two and a half, not quick enough for two.”

Menorah

Top-class hurdler and at the same level in two mile/two and a half mile novice chases last season winning three including two and a half mile Grade 1 Manifesto Novices' Chase at Aintree in April off 151. Was off 157 when beaten on heavy at Punchestown. Highest rating over hurdles 164. “Although he fell at Doncaster he’s always schooled very well and we’ve never felt that jumping would be a problem long term. The Haldon Gold Cup is the early plan. He copes with soft, but he wouldn’t want it softer. Although he won over two and a half at Aintree he’s always shown speed.”

Pateese

Handicap hurdler that appeared to get better for going further last season, won over two miles five at Cheltenham in April having dropped to 134 from 140. Off 139 when second in three mile handicap at Haydock in May. Back to 140. “He’s schooled particularly well over fences and he might have the scope to do well. I think that two and a half miles might still be his ideal trip.”

Persian Snow

Failed to fulfil bumper and novice hurdle promise last season when reaching mark of 129 having raced from two to two and a half miles. Encouraging comeback when third of 22 to Dark Lover in two-mile handicap hurdle at Cheltenham October 19. “He was wrong all last season and I thought he’d have enough pace for two miles on his comeback at Cheltenham but he didn’t. He’ll go back there for a two mile five at the Paddy Power meeting, after that he’ll go novice chasing. He’ll be fine.”

Planet of Sound

Lightly-raced since winning three-mile chase at Punchestown in April 2010 but second in last year’s Hennessy at Newbury and gave a bold display until weakening late on in the Grand National in April, having dropped from 158 to 156. “He’s in very good nick at the moment and I’m hoping that the Charlie Hall at Wetherby will work out for him. He gets no penalties and it might be an easier race for him to win of those that are about at that time of the season. He is good on faster ground, though, but is ok on good or good to soft. The Becher Chase would be ideal on the right ground.”

Princely Player

Won two novice hurdles over two and a half miles last season and started this one having moved up 129 to 137. Decent comeback when three quarters of a length second to Hawkhill in two-mile novice at Kempton October 21. “Won’t go over fences this season because he needs more experience but two miles was too sharp and he’ll move back to two and a half next time. Having said that, the prize money is in two mile handicap hurdles and it’s possible he could be effective at that trip over a stiffer track. It’s possible he could be a Tote Gold Trophy horse, or whatever it is they call the race at Newbury in February.”

Roalco De Farges

Smart staying novice chaser who was off 135 when finishing second in Bet365 chase at Sandown in April and starts this season off career-high 136. “Stays exceptionally well and I could just see the Welsh National working out if things went well.”

Rob Conti

Useful handicap chaser around two and a half miles and rated 121 after finishing second off 115 at Newton Abbot in September. “Doesn’t want the ground too soft, which might be a problem. I’ll be looking for a race with decent prize money because he is an improver and there is a good option coming up at Wetherby on November 2 – ground permitting. Wouldn’t want it worse than good to soft. He’s very well.”

Sadler's Risk

Winner of a decent juvenile hurdler first start at Kempton in January and good efforts in defeat, sixth in the Triumph off 142 and off 143 final start when second to improved Lexi’s Boy at Sandown in April. Now 148. “Only just arrived back and although there would be an argument for novice chasing I think he’ll stay over hurdles. I’m not sure its right to let him bowl in front but there’s a good handicap in him.”

Sausalito Sunrise

Easy winner of Irish point to point. “Will probably stick to bumpers this season, a nice sort but I haven’t done much with him yet so there is a possibility that he might go over hurdles.”

Snap Tie

Off for two and a half years when winning handicap hurdle at Punchestown in April off 137 having been 158. “He’s the best he’s been for ages at the moment but his problems will always be a concern. He’s off 151 now and the Greatwood Hurdle at Cheltenham is the aim. It surprised me that he handled heavy in Ireland but it’s possible that, had he stayed sound, he could have been Champion Hurdle standard but not now.”

Talkonthestreet

Decent staying novice hurdler, slightly disappointing on reappearance when fourth to According To Trev in three and a quarter mile event at Cheltenham October 20. “He’s going novice chasing now and I think you’ll see a much better horse – probably needed that first run in any case.”

Tiqris

Second to Irish Buccaneer in Chepstow bumper in April, coming from a long way back. “Only recently returned and is a horse I like a lot. Should probably have won at Chepstow but I haven’t done enough to know whether he’ll start over two or further. He is nice, though and literally came from off the floor to win his point to point.”

Tony Star

Handicap hurdler off 129 when winning latest start at Fontwell in early October over two and a half miles. “Is much more relaxed now and whatever he does over hurdles early in the season his job will be over fences, although I haven’t schooled him yet. He’ll be much better now he’s settled and he handles soft ground.”

Turanjo Bello

Second in two bumpers March and April. “Had a few little issues but is good now and will run towards the end of November in longer distance novice hurdles. I think he could be quite nice.”

Village Vic

Smart bumper horse last season, winning one and performing with credit in good-class events. Highly promising hurdle debut when second to The New One at Cheltenham over two miles five on October 19. “Jumped brilliantly at Cheltenham but will improve for the experience and we’ll go back to Cheltenham at the Paddy Power meeting. He might need to go further than two and a half in time but he has got pace. Probably shouldn’t have run at Cheltenham and Punchestown last season.”

Wishfull Thinking

Top-class novice between two and two and a half miles season before last and rated 164 at the start of last season. Despite not winning, stayed around that mark and was less than a length behind Finian’s Rainbow at Kempton in December. “His inconsistency is probably down to his wind problems but from what we are currently hearing at home it is certainly better which is positive. The Old Roan Chase at Aintree looks an ideal starting point for him.”

Comment

Thanks Hoof.

You a refugee from another board ?

Comment

Originally posted by Rhinestone Cowboy View Post
        Thanks Hoof.

You a refugee from another board ?
        maybe ........

Comment

West Country

Philip Hobbs will launch some more of his big guns this week following the success of Fingal Bay at Chepstow, who should prove the pathfinder to other high-profile scorers from the yard in the coming weeks.

Hobbs has a strong dual challenge for the United House Construction Gold Cup at Ascot with DUKE OF LUCCA and PLANET OF SOUND.

The pair looked in rude health working up the steep woodchip all-weather at Sandhills.

Hobbs hopes that rain stays away from Ascot for Saturday's feature and will hope that the gelding is able to settle better than last season.

Planet Of Sound didn't manage to win last season but his second in the Hennessy and good run in the Grand National confirm that he's retained much of his ability.

He has the option of the Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby and looked in grand fettle in his last piece of strong work.

FAIR ALONG will soon re-enter the fray in the John Smith's Hurdle, a race he's won for two of the past three years and was runner-up in 2011.

The 10-year-old is probably not far short of retirement but looked as frisky as a juvenilein his latest stretch up the strip.

RESTE GOSSE is one to note in the novices' handicap hurdle at Ascot, as Hobbs' plan is to win over hurdles with him before going novice chasing.

He looked well in himself in his breeze this morning.

Comment

Lamb or Cod

Lamb Or Cod will be given plenty of time to recover from his exertions at Chepstow before his next outing.

Owner Terry Warner was delighted with the performance of the five-year-old in the totepool.com Silver Trophy Handicap Hurdle at the Welsh track, where he led home a one-two-three for trainer Philip Hobbs in the two-and-a-half-mile contest and was one of three winners for Warner on Saturday.

"He wont run for a while. He needs time between his races as he loses a lot of condition when he races," said Warner.

"Philip thinks there might be a race at either Haydock, Ascot or Sandown towards the end of November or early December."

Comment

New Video

Comment

Captain Chris delighted trainer Philip Hobbs in his latest workout ahead of the William King George VI Chase at Kempton on Boxing Day.

The eight-year-old was a well beaten third behind Kauto Star in the Festive highlight 12 months ago and while he ran no sort of race on his next appearance at Cheltenham, he did sign off with a fair fourth in the Ryanair Chase at the Festival.

Back on a right-handed track, he made an impressive return to action in the Amlin 1965 Chase at Ascot and is a 12-1 shot with the sponsors to follow up at Kempton.

"He's in really good nick. He worked very well yesterday (Tuesday) and we've got a couple of weeks to go. I couldn't be more pleased with him," Hobbs told At The Races

"Obviously we're taking on all the very best at Kempton, but we're hoping that he'll have a good chance."

Comment

Hobbs said: "I don't know if Menorah will run on Saturday
                  without seeing the ratings or knowing what the ground is likely to be. I would say it is 50-50 at this stage.

"He is also entered in the Racing Plus Chase over three miles at Kempton later this month, but his target is the Ryanair Chase - that's his only entry at the Festival - and he wouldn't necessarily need a run beforehand."

Comment

Philip Hobbs is to run the Diana Whateley-owned pair of Wishfull Thinking and Menorah in separate races at next month's Cheltenham Festival.

The former is likely to take on Sprinter Sacre in the Sportingbet Queen Mother Champion Chase, leaving Menorah to take up sole engagement at the Festival in the Ryanair Chase.

"Realistically Wishfull Thinking will probably run in the Champion Chase because Menorah will run in the Ryanair. It's the same ownership," Hobbs told At The Races.

"If we could guarantee second now I'd be delighted to have second prize money because that's not going to be easy either, as you would expect in a Champion Chase. I'm sure there will be other horses in there we'd be worried about.

Comment

Another past Festival winner, Menorah, returns for the Ryanair. "I ran him over three miles in the Aon Chase," Hobbs said. "And while I think he probably stayed all right, he doesn't want that very soft ground." And Balthazar King, who brought his trainer's 16th Festival trophy back to Somerset last year, defends the Glenfarclas Cross-Country Chase as one of the favourites. "He's in extremely good form," Hobbs said. "He's a much better horse fresh, so we've deliberately not run him since November."

Better ground will suit Planet Of Sound in the JLT Chase, while Colour Squadron (Pulteney) and Sadler's Risk (Coral Cup) have evidently had their handicap targets for a good while now. Hobbs also reserves a favourable mention for Pistol, in cheekpieces for the first time in the Fred Winter. "He pulls up in front and I think he'll be much better suited by a strongly run race," he stressed.

Comment

Working...
                      X