Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Noel Meade Stable Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noel Meade Stable Tour

Ally Cascade
    4-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Golan (IRE) - Nikkis Alstar (IRE)
    Form: 3-1
    Third on racecourse debut last season and justified favourite tag by six lengths at Fairyhouse last week. “Gigginstown own him now but Nina bought him as a three-year-old and when he finished third in a bumper we were keen to buy him. He won well with her on Saturday last at Fairyhouse. I’d imagine we will go over hurdles with him now.”
    Form
    WON - Fairyhouse Sponsors Nina Carberry (C & G) Flat Race (2m), Fairyhouse, 13 Oct 2012
    3rd - Tipperary Racecourse Events Flat Race (2m), Tipperary, 19 Apr 2012
    Ange Blanc
    4-y-o; gelding
    Breeding: Keltos (FR) - Trasimene (UK)
    Form: 1
    Out of a half sister to Harchibald. Winner of a Punchestown bumper last season, the form of which has worked out extremely well. “Is a horse that won a bumper for us last year at Punchestown and he looks a nice horse. He’ll start jumping hurdles and we like him.”
    Form
    WON - Aes Family Saturday At The Festival Flat Race (2m), Punchestown, 22 Feb 2012
    Another Palm
    7-y-o; gelding
    Breeding: Great Palm (USA) - Park Rose (IRE)
    Form: 12826P-8
    Long-distance chaser who is campaigned in extreme handicaps off a mark of 123. “I am going to train him for the spring as he doesn’t handle real soft ground. We will start around Christmas. He needs extended trips and is better fresh.”
    Form
    8th - Breakfast With Hector On 2FM Handicap Chase (0-145) (3m 6f), Punchestown, 9 May 2012
    PU - Betfred Midlands Grand National Chase (Listed Handicap) (4m 1f 110y), Uttoxeter, 17 Mar 2012
    2nd - Paddypower.com Cork Grand National Handicap Chase (0-150) (grade B) (3m 4f), Cork, 6 Nov 2011
    Apache Stronghold
    4-y-o bay gelding
    Breeding: Milan (GB) - First Battle (IRE)
    Unraced. “He is a Milan four-year-old who is within a couple of weeks of running. He seems a nice horse and he will start off in a bumper. We like him.”
    Avidius Cassius
    4-y-o bay gelding
    Breeding: Flemensfirth (USA) - Rixdale (FR)
    Point to point winner in England who looks a nice type and is by popular sire. “He is a horse we bought after he won a point to point in England. He will probably start off in a bumper, he stays well and will want a big track so he’ll probably go to Navan or Naas. He seems to go nicely.”
    Bat Masterson
    4-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Alhaarth (IRE) - Desert Grouse (USA)
    Form: 51380-12
    Was rated 125 when finishing second behind a progressive type last time out. Staying sort with best form on easy ground. “Won twice and just got touched off the last day. His jumping has been terrible and if he jumped he’d win races. You couldn’t go far enough with him; he just stays and stays and stays. We’ll give him a bit of time now before he runs again.”
    Form
    2nd - Follow Gowran Park On Facebook Handicap Hurdle (Grade C) (3m), Gowran Park, 6 Oct 2012
    WON - Albany Hurdle (2m 6f), Navan, 29 Sep 2012
    15th - Irish Field Handicap Hurdle (0-140) (2m 6f), Fairyhouse, 9 Apr 2012
    Benevolent
    5-y-o; chestnut gelding
    Breeding: Beneficial (UK) - Bobs Lass (IRE)
    Form: 3-41
    Justified favouritism to win maiden hurdle at Fairyhouse last week on soft to heavy ground over two-miles. “Very disappointing in the north when we ran him in a bumper and fancied him. He never really acted or seemed to be going well up there. He won well at Fairyhouse at the weekend and hopefully he’ll jump fences as well as he jumps hurdles. We’ll go for a novice hurdle next I would imagine.”
    Form
    WON - Follow Fairyhouse On Twitter Maiden Hurdle (2m), Fairyhouse, 13 Oct 2012
    4th - Come Back And Visit Us Flat Race (2m 1f 172y), Downpatrick, 26 Sep 2012
    Blissful Moment
    5-y-o; brown gelding
    Breeding: Dynaformer (USA) - Arabian Spell (IRE)
    Form: 5
    Was rated 98 on the flat and finished fifth in maiden hurdle on only start for new connections. “Came from Sir Michael Stoute’s last year and we only ran him once and I have to say I was very disappointed with him that day as I thought he’d win. However, his form on the flat is good enough and sometimes when they come from the sales it takes time to settle in so we’ll be hoping that he’ll be able to produce his better form. I think soft ground will suit him well.”
    Form
    5th - Nobber Maiden Hurdle (2m), Navan, 3 Mar 2012
    2nd - Duke Of Edinburgh Handicap (1m 4f), Ascot, 18 Jun 2011
    2nd - D'Arenberg Handicap (1m 4f), Ascot, 7 May 2011
    Blue Cannon
    4-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: High Chaparral (IRE) - Blushing Barada (USA)
    Form: 154407-0
    Winner on the flat last month off a mark of 55 and rated 122 over hurdles - prefers nicer ground. “Won the Ulster Cesarewitch and I brought him to Listowel and he stood at the start. He does think funny things like that but he has plenty of ability. He probably didn’t like the ground in Listowel and he’s cute enough to know going down to the start, I don’t want this ground! I’d say two and a half miles will suit him really well over hurdles.”
    Form
    11th - Listowel Races Supporters Club Lartigue Hurdle (handicap) (grade C) (2m), Listowel, 18 Sep 2012
    WON - Victoria Square Ulster Cesarewitch Handicap (2m 2f), Down Royal, 14 Sep 2012
    7th - Weatherbys Ireland GSB Hurdle (Grade 3) (2m), Fairyhouse, 10 Apr 2012
    Bose Ikard
    4-y-o bay gelding
    Breeding: Brian Boru (GB) - Dolldyedee (IRE)
    Unraced. “We brought him to Navan for a bumper but he got kicked at the start and didn’t run. He’s a nice horse by Brian Boru and we like him. He seems fine now and we’ll look for another race for him now.”
    Busty Brown
    6-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Mr Combustible (IRE) - Misty Brown (IRE)
    Form: 23422-13
    Another consistent type who has never been out of the first four and looks set for good staying races with an ease in the ground. “Ran well at Roscommon and stays really well. He might like better ground and I’d say the further he goes the better. Three miles would certainly be right up his alley.”
    Form
    3rd - Fergus O'toole Memorial Novice Hurdle (Grade 3) (2m 5f), Limerick, 14 Oct 2012
    WON - On Course Vets Maiden Hurdle (2m 4f), Roscommon, 1 Oct 2012
    2nd - Corkracecourse.ie (Pro/Am) Flat Race (2m 3f), Cork, 8 Apr 2012
    Casual Creeper
    3-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: One Cool Cat (USA) - Personal Design (IRE)
    Form: 724-8376
    Was a non-runner on intended hurdling debut, was rated a high of 80 on the flat. “Had good form as a two-year-old and had a bit of a wind-op, hopefully that will leave him right and he jumps well. He’ll run on the flat again and start over hurdles shortly.”
    Form
    6th - Apple Orchard Handicap (1m 2f 100y), Down Royal, 27 Jul 2012
    7th - Chinese Irish Cultural Academy Handicap (60-90) (1m 4f), Curragh, 10 Jun 2012
    3rd - Barrow Rated Race (1m 3f 160y), Wexford, 19 May 2012
    Last edited by Guest; 21 October 2012, 02:37 PM.

Change Of Luck
    4-y-o
    Unraced. “A Goldwell four-year-old. He is a bumper horse but I don’t know that much about him yet.”
    Cloudgazer
    4-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Dalakhani (IRE) - City Zone (IRE)
    Form: 61
    Maiden hurdle winner at just second time of asking on good to firm ground at Clonmel. Rated in low 70s on flat from high of 82. “Won at Clonmel and I don’t know what was wrong with him for a while as he wasn’t looking right at all, but he has turned that corner and he is starting to look better all the time. He stays really well and he’ll probably run in a novice. I like him better now than last year.”
    Form
    WON - Laganore Maiden Hurdle (2m 100y), Clonmel, 30 Sep 2012
    6th - Follow Roscommon On Facebook Maiden Hurdle (2m 4f 100y), Roscommon, 20 Aug 2012
    12th - Leopardstown Club Members Handicap (2m), Leopardstown, 9 Aug 2012
    Corbally Ghost
    5-y-o; grey gelding
    Breeding: Central Park (IRE) - Classic Lin (FR)
    Form: 2-9111
    Progressive sort who was unbeaten last season with a bumper and two hurdle wins including Grade 3 event over three miles on soft to heavy. “Was very good last year winning his bumper and two hurdles and then I sent him to Cork where maybe the three miles was just too far for him. He came home a bit sore from there and we never got to run him again, but he’s back now and the plan all along was to put him over fences so we’ll see how we are going when we have him fit. He’s a horse we always loved so we’d be hoping he can be up there with the best. He’ll stay three miles but I don’t think he needs it.”
    Form
    WON - Cork Stayers Novice Hurdle (grade 3) (3m), Cork, 11 Dec 2011
    WON - Ireland V England Stable Staff Soccer International Tonight Maiden Hurdle (2m 4f), Punchestown, 19 Nov 2011
    WON - Toboradora Flat Race (2m), Thurles, 3 Nov 2011
    Corskeagh Royale
    9-y-o; chestnut gelding
    Breeding: Beneficial (UK) - Rubys Shadow (IRE)
    Form: 424/1P0P
    Staying type who was rated 115 and 123 on last runs over hurdles and fences respectively. His four wins came on varying ground. “Had a bit of a bit of a wind operation and hopefully that might have sorted out some of his problems. He’ll stay chasing and hopefully his wind will help him now and he stays well.”
    Form
    PU - Leo Dolan Memorial Handicap Hurdle (3m), Roscommon, 10 Jul 2012
    12th - John J. Galvin Handicap Hurdle (3m), Listowel, 4 Jun 2012
    PU - ''3'' Pat Taaffe Handicap Chase (0-150) (grade B) (3m 1f), Punchestown, 8 May 2012
    Cops And Robbers
    4-y-o; chestnut gelding
    Breeding: Pivotal (UK) - Threefold (USA)
    Form: 3
    Made a very encouraging racecourse debut for new connections when finishing third in Grade 3 company on only start last season. “Won a maiden at Newmarket for Sir Michael Stoute, we ran him once last year in a good race at Fairyhouse and he ran a good race. He should be a decent horse. He’s big for a flat horse and within reason I think he’ll like soft ground. He should pay his way.”
    Form
    3rd - Weatherbys Ireland GSB Hurdle (Grade 3) (2m), Fairyhouse, 10 Apr 2012
    Couleur France
    4-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Flemensfirth (USA) - Gaye Mercy (UK)
    Made racecourse debut when finishing third in a Roscommon bumper behind two highly-regarded Gigginstown House runners and was only three-lengths behind the winner. “We bought him last year and we had him in training and we liked him. He ran well on his debut at Roscommon last week on very testing ground and he’ll probably go for another bumper. He’s from the same family as Gaye Chance and Gaye Brief.”
    Form
    3rd - Roscommon Racecourse Looks Forward To Seeing You Again In 2013 Flat Race (2m), Roscommon, 15 Oct 2012
    Cross Appeal
    6-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Cape Cross (IRE) - Hadeb (UK)
    Form: 1331P-4P
    Paddy Power Chase winner off mark of 125 (now 135), who failed to get his ground in recent Munster National at Limerick. Notable runner in any staying handicap chase. “He prefers better ground than he got in the Munster National at Limerick on Sunday. He won the Paddy Power last season and he could well end up back there this year. The Troytown is another race, and he’s only six and getting stronger all the time.”
    Form
    PU - Ladbrokes Munster National Handicap Chase (Grade A) (3m), Limerick, 14 Oct 2012
    4th - gowranpark.ie Maiden (1m 6f), Gowran Park, 5 Sep 2012
    4th - www.thetote.com Galway Plate (Grade A Handicap Chase) (2m 6f), Galway, 1 Aug 2012
    Curley Bill
    4-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Heron Island (IRE) - In Excelsis (GER)
    Form: 9-2
    Roscommon bumper runner-up earlier this month who is well-bred and likely to prefer nicer ground. “Was second in Roscommon when getting bogged down in the mud and I’d say he got beat by a good horse of Dessie Hughes’. We like him and he is from the same family as Jazz Messenger as well so he has a good pedigree. He’s a great jumper. ”
    Form
    2nd - Oran Flat Race (2m), Roscommon, 1 Oct 2012
    9th - Goffs Land Rover Bumper (2m), Punchestown, 24 Apr 2012
    Daring Decoy
    4-y-o
    Unraced. “A nice big four-year-old by Great Palm, he is a real nice horse who did a bit of work in the spring and we like him.”
    Dark Prospect
    7-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Nayef (USA) - Miss Mirasol (UK)
    Form: P-935691
    A winner under all codes with a rating of 110 over hurdles and 96 on the flat. “Won a novice chase up the north and to be honest has been disappointing since. I thought the way he was handicapped over hurdles he’d win but he is a better ground horse. I would think he won’t run too much over the winter but we might even look at the all-weather if there was a race for him.”
    Form
    WON - downpatrickracecourse.co.uk Beginners Chase (2m 2f 110y), Downpatrick, 26 Sep 2012
    9th - Galway City Publicans Handicap Hurdle (81-123) (2m), Galway, 12 Sep 2012
    6th - Hotelmeyrick.ie & Theghotel.ie Handicap Hurdle (81-123) (2m), Galway, 30 Jul 2012
    Devils Paintbrush
    4-y-o bay
    Unraced. “A four-year-old by Shantou, we liked him last spring and we don’t know much about him yet.”
    Donnas Palm
    8-y-o; gelding
    Breeding: Great Palm (USA) - Donna's Tarquin (IRE)
    Form: 136412-3
    A winner of 11 races throughout his career, the most recent of which have come on soft ground over trips from 2m to 2m3f. “Is going to be tricky enough to place this year as he is high enough in the weights and yet he is not a novice over fences. He just doesn’t appear to be as good as he was but I still feel there are races to be won with him. He’ll duck and dive and go wherever we think he can win. Maybe some of those small-field conditions races.”
    Form
    3rd - Le Grande Chase (2m 4f), Navan, 29 Sep 2012
    2nd - Irish Stallion Farms E.B.F. Novice Chase (2m 1f), Leopardstown, 4 Mar 2012
    WON - Flyingbolt Novice Chase (grade 2) (2m 1f), Navan, 19 Feb 2012
    Dylan Ross
    6-y-o; bay gelding
    Breeding: Shantou (USA) - Quit The Noise (IRE)
    Form: 122220-F
    Extremely consistent type who is likely to be a top novice over fences despite failing to complete on chasing debut. Versatile when it comes to ground. “It is hard to believe he only won one hurdle race last season as he was knocking on the door the whole time in good races. He had a bad start when he fell in Roscommon after schooling brilliantly at home. He was so good we were probably stupid running him there. He has schooled well since that and I’m pretty sure he’ll go back over fences next. He ran to a very good level last year and I’m hoping he will be even better over fences – he has great scope even though he is not very big.”
    Form
    F - Kilbegnet E.B.F. Novice Chase (Grade 3) (2m), Roscommon, 1 Oct 2012
    2nd - Irish Stallion Farms E.B.F. Irish Racing Writers Novice Hurdle (2m), Naas, 21 Jan 2012
    2nd - Paddypower.com Future Champions Novice Hurdle (grade 1) (2m), Leopardstown, 27 Dec 2011
    Last edited by Guest; 21 October 2012, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Eligible
      4-y-o; bay gelding
      Breeding: Martaline (UK) - Incorrigible (FR)
      Form: 27
      New recruit who was runner up in a three-year-old bumper on first of two starts for Tim Vaughan. “A horse that ran a couple of times in England, he was second one day for Tim Vaughan and he belongs to Dai Walters. He seems a nice horse, but we haven’t worked him yet. He jumps well though.”
      Form
      2nd - digibet.com 'Junior' Standard Open NH Flat Race (1m 6f), Fontwell, 27 Oct 2011
      Fermoyle Flyer
      5-y-o; bay gelding
      Breeding: Presenting (UK) - Fille d'Argent (IRE)
      Form: 752
      Ex Nigel Twiston-Davies inmate who had three runs last season, the best of which saw him finish second over 2m3f on heavy ground. “He is a horse that came to us from England recently and I don’t know a whole lot about him yet. He’s a fine big horse by Presenting, he looks like he will stay well. His form suggests he’s not great but we like the way he has started with us anyway so we’ll be hoping we’ll be able to win with him.”
      Form
      2nd - Mirror Punters Club Novices' Hurdle (2m 3f 110y), Lingfield, 5 Jan 2012
      7th - I.w.e.c. International Ltd Maiden Hurdle (3m), Ffos Las, 25 Apr 2011
      Fickle Fortune
      4-y-o; bay filly
      Breeding: Heron Island (IRE) - That's The Bonus (IRE)
      Form: 15
      Impressive bumper winner on Down Royal debut but didn’t get suitable ground on next start in Grade 1 event at Punchestown. “She’s almost ready to run but the biggest trouble we have with her is trying to slow her down as she just wants to do everything in a hurry. She has had a bit of time with Paul (Carberry) jumping over poles and that and she seems to be getting the hang of it. We thought the world her last year and there’s no reason to think any less of her this year. She is nearly ready to run.”
      Form
      5th - betchronicle.com Champion I.N.H. Flat Race (Grade 1) (2m), Punchestown, 25 Apr 2012
      WON - Dark Horse Cafe At Down Royal Flat Race (2m), Down Royal, 1 Feb 2012
      Fully Funded
      7-y-o; bay gelding
      Breeding: Aptitude (USA) - Fully Invested (USA)
      Form: 4-222336
      Consistent staying type who has only been out of first four twice in 13 starts for Meade, winning twice. “Is not back in training yet after having an operation on his back for a problem he had. He’ll be back in the next couple of weeks and we’ll see what he’s like when he comes back. Stays well, wants good-ish ground.”
      Form
      6th - Ladbrokes Boyne Hurdle (grade 2) (2m 5f), Navan, 19 Feb 2012
      3rd - 49 Punchestown Hospitality Beginners Chase (2m 4f), Punchestown, 14 Jan 2012
      3rd - Punchestown Hospitality Beginners Chase (3m), Punchestown, 31 Dec 2011
      Go Native
      9-y-o; brown gelding
      Breeding: Double Eclipse (IRE) - Native Idea (IRE)
      High-class hurdler who won the 2009 Supreme Novices’ Hurdle but missed last season through injury. Returned recently with pleasing effort on the level. “We were delighted with his comeback run at Navan and hopefully he stays right now. We will just poke our way along and hope that he gets back to where he was. If he does, the races are there for him to run in - the good races. If he’d have won at Navan to me it would have been a miracle but we were delighted with him. I haven’t really discussed jumping fences with him but it is more probably we’ll stay hurdling with him for now.”
      Form
      3rd - October Maiden (2m), Navan, 10 Oct 2012
      WON - WBX.COM Fighting Fifth Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m), Newcastle, 28 Nov 2009
      2nd - WKD Core Hurdle (Grade 3) (2m), Down Royal, 6 Nov 2009
      Griesenau
      6-y-o; bay gelding
      Breeding: Luso (UK) - Persian Wonder (IRE)
      Form: 71507P0
      Good ground horse who rarely saw his conditions in Ireland and rated 105 on last start. “He will go to the sales in the first week of November and is probably an ideal horse for England as he wants better ground. He won a maiden hurdle up the north and will win his races.”
      Form
      13th - Mary Whelan's 60th Birthday Handicap Chase (0-109) (2m 4f), Clonmel, 30 Sep 2012
      PU - Active Retirement Ireland Handicap Chase (0-109) (3m 1f), Kilbeggan, 24 Aug 2012
      7th - Kieran Kelly Memorial Beginners Chase (2m 4f), Kilbeggan, 11 Aug 2012
      Gaius Marius
      4-y-o bay gelding
      Breeding: Tiger Hill (IRE) - Russian Muse (FR)
      Unraced. “A Tiger Hill four-year-old, again he is nearly ready to run and we’ll start off in a bumper and we like him. He seems a nice horse.”
      heck Thomas
      4-y-o bay gelding
      Breeding: Oscar (IRE) - Good Highway (IRE)
      Unraced. “Another nice four-year-old that will start off in a Bumper. By Oscar. He seems to be doing everything right.”
      He's A Delight
      8-y-o; bay gelding
      Breeding: Craigsteel (UK) - Maori's Delight (UK)
      Form: 4125/51-2
      Former dual winning point to pointer, bumper and maiden hurdle winner. Made encouraging start over fences last weekend. Best form on soft ground. “He had a little problem after he won and ran a brilliant race on his chase debut at Limerick last weekend when he was second after a year off. He jumps well and stays well and we’ll look for another beginners chase next.”
      Form
      2nd - STL Logistics E.B.F. Beginners Chase (Div 2) (2m 3f 120y), Limerick, 14 Oct 2012
      WON - Johnny Cash Tribute E.B.F. Maiden Hurdle (2m 6f 110y), Downpatrick, 15 Oct 2011
      5th - Friday Evening Racing At Cork Racecourse (Q.R.) Maiden Hurdle (3m), Cork, 25 Apr 2011
      Last edited by Guest; 21 October 2012, 02:43 PM.

Comment

Honourable Emperor
        3-y-o; bay colt
        Breeding: Holy Roman Emperor (IRE) - Belle of Honour (USA)
        Form: 9-112000
        Dual Dundalk winner and second in flat handicap at Cork on good ground which seems his ideal going. “Rated 95 on the flat, jumps well, and runs at Punchestown this week. I am hoping he will make a nice hurdler.”
        Form
        11th - Dundalk Stadium - Light Up Your Night Race (1m 2f 150y), Dundalk, 19 Oct 2012
        12th - Diamond Stakes (Group 3) (1m 2f 150y), Dundalk, 5 Oct 2012
        13th - Topaz Mile E.B.F. Handicap (1m 100y), Galway, 31 Jul 2012
        Il Fenomeno
        6-y-o; bay gelding
        Breeding: Denon (USA) - Fabulous charm (ITY)
        Form: 5411538
        Ran with credit in graded company last season and earned a rating of 135 which makes him an exciting novice chasing prospect on decent ground (two wins on yielding to soft). “It is quite likely he will run at Punchestown this week over hurdles but he has been schooled already over fences and it is quite likely he will go over fences as is the way with most Gigginstown horses. Davy (Russell) schooled him and he jumped well. He also ran to quite a high level over hurdles so again hopefully he can be better again over fences.”
        Form
        8th - Rathbarry & Glenview Studs Novice Hurdle (grade 2) (2m), Fairyhouse, 9 Apr 2012
        3rd - Deloitte Novice Hurdle (grade 1) (2m 2f), Leopardstown, 12 Feb 2012
        5th - Bar One Racing Royal Bond Novice Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m), Fairyhouse, 4 Dec 2011
        Ipsos Du Berlais
        6-y-o; gelding
        Breeding: Poliglote (UK) - Isis Du Berlais (FR)
        Form: 1231P4P
        Another with notable novice hurdle form and collected place money in two Grade 1s reaching a rating of 140 in the process. A point to point winner who should relish fences and a staying trip. “He finished up disappointingly at Punchestown but he ran very well at Aintree when he finished fourth in the Grade 1 and he didn’t run his race at all in Cheltenham after a couple of good runs before that. He’s back now and he’ll start over fences and his stamina is his forte, he could even be a horse for the four-mile chase at Cheltenham.”
        Form
        PU - Irish Daily Mirror Novice Hurdle (Grade 1) (3m), Punchestown, 25 Apr 2012
        WON - Noel Farrelly Memorial Hurdle (2m 4f), Punchestown, 14 Jan 2012
        3rd - Navan Novice Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m 4f), Navan, 18 Dec 2011
        Jamie’s Benefit
        Unraced. “Is a huge big Beneficial horse who was very backward last year and he’s more together this year and I’d hope he’ll run in a bumper in the next two-months. We’ll see how we go from there but you’d like the look of him.”
        Jazz Concerto
        Unraced. “Is related to Jazz Messenger and will start off in a bumper. He had a problem last year and we never got to run him. He’s coming along nicely and we liked him a lot last year so I don’t see any reason why we won’t like him this year.”
        Jim Bowie
        7-y-o; bay gelding
        Breeding: Dushyantor (USA) - Delibonne (IRE)
        Form: 37-7693P
        Handicap chaser whose best form is over 2m4f and soft ground appears key. “Had a little bit of a problem at the end of last season and he was rested over the summer and is back now and looks well. He jumps and stays well and I’d imagine he’d pursue his future over fences.”
        Form
        PU - Fairyhouse Members Handicap Chase (0-123) (3m 1f), Fairyhouse, 1 Jan 2012
        3rd - 'Prancer And Dancer' Handicap Chase (0-130) (2m 4f), Navan, 19 Dec 2011
        9th - Dobbins Panoramic Restaurant Beginners Chase (2m), Punchestown, 26 Oct 2011
        Johannisberger
        5-y-o; bay gelding
        Breeding: Arakan (USA) - Housekeeping (UK)
        Form: 46-27132
        Roscommon maiden hurdle winner on soft ground, has had two good efforts over fences and should be winning over larger obstacles before long. “Had a bit of a wind problem and he came out and won his maiden hurdle afterwards. He jumps fences very well and mightn’t want very heavy ground and jumping is his forte.”
        Form
        2nd - STL Logistics E.B.F. Beginners Chase (Div 1) (2m 3f 120y), Limerick, 14 Oct 2012
        3rd - Kells Beginners Chase (2m 4f), Navan, 29 Sep 2012
        WON - Gaaroscommon.ie Maiden Hurdle (2m), Roscommon, 7 Aug 2012
        Knockgraffon King
        7-y-o; chestnut gelding
        Breeding: Beneficial (UK) - Kilternan Gale (IRE)
        Form: 2/1-213
        A chaser in the making who last ran over hurdles off a mark of 123. Relishes soft ground and long distances. “Won a maiden hurdle for us last year and wants three-miles on soft ground. He schools well at home and has taken to the fences so will start back over fences shortly. The further he goes the better.”
        Form
        3rd - Surehaul Mercedes-benz Novice Hurdle (listed) (2m 6f), Clonmel, 2 Feb 2012
        WON - Navan Golf Course Maiden Hurdle (2m 7f), Navan, 15 Jan 2012
        2nd - Slane Maiden Hurdle (2m 4f), Navan, 19 Dec 2011
        Leroy Parker
        4-y-o; chestnut gelding
        Breeding: Titus Livius (FR) - Jameela (IRE)
        Form: 43-04451
        Winner at the Curragh last week off 65 and is 119 over hurdles - handles soft ground. “Had been running a bit in and out but ran well at Navan last week and won at the Curragh on Tuesday. He may run at Naas at the weekend. I took the tongue tie and cheekpieces and everything off him. He’s in the sales and the plan is that he is to be sold but certainly he is a horse with plenty of ability and there are races to be won with him.”
        Form
        WON - Curragh Finale Of 2012 Handicap (1m 2f), Curragh, 16 Oct 2012
        5th - Meath Handicap (55-80) (1m 2f), Navan, 10 Oct 2012
        13th - Listowel Races Supporters Club Lartigue Hurdle (handicap) (grade C) (2m), Listowel, 18 Sep 2012
        Maxim Gorky
        5-y-o; bay gelding
        Breeding: Montjeu (IRE) - Altruiste (USA)
        Form: 20/4-F12
        Very well bred being a son of Montjeu out of a half sister to Galileo and Sea The Stars. Now rated 116 over hurdles after maiden hurdle win at Gowran Park. “Not a very big horse, he won in Cork in the summer on not so summer ground. He ran into a very good horse on the day in Galway when he thought he was well handicapped. Since then he got a bruise on his foot which tortured me but he’s back now and even though he’s not very big, I like him a lot. I think he’ll go on soft. The time has helped him and I still like him. His days will go come.”
        Form
        2nd - Hotelmeyrick.ie & Theghotel.ie Handicap Hurdle (81-123) (2m), Galway, 30 Jul 2012
        WON - Goresbridge Maiden Hurdle (2m 2f), Gowran Park, 24 Jun 2012
        F - corkracecourse.ie Maiden Hurdle (2m), Cork, 25 May 2012
        Medical Card
        8-y-o; bay gelding
        Breeding: Flemensfirth (USA) - Me Grannys Endoors (IRE)
        Form: 02411P-P
        Grade 2 winner on last completed start and best runs are on soft ground and over staying distances. “We left him a while before taking him back in as he is a real mud lover. He wants three-miles and is a horse maybe for the Paddy Power or the Troytown, even the Thyestes. He doesn’t need to run too often and runs well fresh.”
        Form
        PU - Aon Handicap Chase (Grade A) (2m 5f), Punchestown, 8 May 2012
        PU - Irish Form Book Ten Up Novice Chase (Grade 2) (3m), Navan, 19 Feb 2012
        WON - Woodlands Park 100 Club Novice Chase (grade 2) (3m), Naas, 21 Jan 2012
        Last edited by Guest; 21 October 2012, 02:44 PM.

Comment

Mickelson
          6-y-o; bay gelding
          Breeding: Old Vic (UK) - Life Support (IRE)
          Form: 4
          Talented sort who ran well in a flat maiden last time on soft ground. Rated 126 over hurdles and unlucky not to open chasing account yet. “He wants good ground and is still a maiden over fences. He goes to the sales in November if he’s not sold before that and he’s ideal for someone looking for a good ground horse. He’ll win his races.”
          Form
          4th - October Maiden (2m), Navan, 10 Oct 2012
          6th - Gowran Park Racing Club 2013 Beginners Chase (2m 2f), Gowran Park, 6 Oct 2012
          4th - totegoracingclub.com Beginners Chase (2m 1f), Ballinrobe, 24 Sep 2012
          Monksland
          5-y-o; bay gelding
          Breeding: Beneficial (UK) - Cush Jewel (IRE)
          Form: R1113
          Three-time winner last season who ended campaign with third place in Neptune Investment Novices' Hurdle at Cheltenham. “All is well and the plan is to go over fences with him. His third behind Simonsig at Cheltenham was a good run, and he just wrapped his joint a little there and we didn’t get the chance to run him at Punchestown which was very disappointing as he had the calibre to be there. He jumps fences well and you’d hope he could be a top one. He’s a buzzy horse so we haven’t been in any rush with him as we want to try and get him back to Cheltenham again.”
          Form
          WON - Slaney Novice Hurdle (grade 2) (2m 4f), Naas, 8 Jan 2012
          WON - Kells Maiden Hurdle (2m), Navan, 10 Dec 2011
          WON - Mirror (pro/am) Flat Race (2m), Down Royal, 5 Nov 2011
          Muirhead
          9-y-o; bay gelding
          Breeding: Flemensfirth (USA) - Silaoce (FR)
          Form: 14180-61
          Staying handicapper chaser who has won three times over the larger obstacles and is a former high-class hurdler. “We had to miss the Munster National as the ground was gone to heavy for him. He is entered in Punchestown and that is a possibility. He doesn’t like it really heavy but there is a possibility we will get good ground at some stage all the way up to Christmas so Leopardstown would be a possibility. I think three-miles are definitely within his capabilities. He may go back to England for some of those races he ran in last year. I’m very happy with him at the moment”
          Form
          WON - Ryans Cleaning Chase (2m 6f), Galway, 12 Sep 2012
          6th - Galway Plate (Grade A Handicap Chase) (2m 6f), Galway, 1 Aug 2012
          8th - United House Gold Cup Handicap Chase (Grade 3) (3m), Ascot, 29 Oct 2011
          Mullaghanoe River
          4-y-o bay gelding
          Breeding: Beneficial (GB) - Wahiba Hall (IRE)
          Winner of point to point on second start (brought down on first outing) on good to yielding ground. “A horse we bought after he won a point to point for Willie Codd, he was quite impressive and we gave quite a few quid for him. He’s just started to work but he’s quite a big four-year-old so we’ll be hoping he’ll be good enough to run in a bumper.”
          Ned Buntline
          4-y-o; bay gelding
          Breeding: Refuse To Bend (IRE) - Intrum Morshaan (IRE)
          Form: 2
          Finished second in a Leopardstown bumper that has worked out very well and looks exciting prospect for the season. “Was second to Jezki in Leopardstown and we didn’t get a chance to run him again after that. He’s enormous, probably 17.1hands or more and his run was good so I’m hoping he still has that ability.”
          Form
          2nd - leopardstown. (Pro/Am) Flat Race (2m), Leopardstown, 28 Jan 2012
          News Carver
          4-y-o; bay gelding
          Breeding: Alhaarth (IRE) - Advancing (IRE)
          Form: 0-8
          Maiden from two starts on the flat. “Is a four-year-old of my own who had a bit of a problem with a knee after he ran as a three-year-old. I’d be hoping he’d win a race somewhere.”
          Form
          8th - October Maiden (2m), Navan, 10 Oct 2012
          10th - Naas Median Auction Maiden (1m), Naas, 16 Apr 2011
          North Star Lad
          5-y-o; bay gelding
          Breeding: Stardan (IRE) - Forever Silver (IRE)
          Form: 81
          Downpatrick maiden hurdle winner by 13-lengths on only second start over two-miles and seven furlongs. “Showed me absolutely nothing before he won what was a very moderate maiden hurdle up the north. He stays and stays really well and I’m going to try him over hurdles over a long trip. He is showing us a little more now than he was before so maybe the penny is starting to drop with him.”
          Form
          WON - Prestige Catering Maiden Hurdle (2m 7f), Downpatrick, 26 Sep 2012
          8th - Parkmore Maiden Hurdle (2m 2f), Galway, 11 Sep 2012
          On Your Eoin
          5-y-o bay gelding
          Breeding: Brian Boru (GB) - Spring Lake (IRE)
          Point to point winner at Maralin for Willie Codd by six-lengths on good ground. “Quite an impressive point to point winner, we had him last year and things just didn’t go right for him. Hopefully we’ll get him out in a bumper and he looks a nice horse. The form of his point to point worked out well so he could be quite decent.”
          Last edited by Guest; 21 October 2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

Owen Mc
            Unraced. “A four-year-old by Oscar seems a nice horse, although he hasn’t worked yet.
            Pandorama
            9-y-o; bay gelding
            Breeding: Flemensfirth (USA) - Gretchen's Castle (IRE)
            Form: 1/111-P17
            Four-time Grade 1 winner. Soft ground lover who was last seen in 2011 Cheltenham Gold Cup. Only suffered defeat on three racecourse starts from 12. “Has just been doing steady work at the moment and the nearest I could see him running would be Christmas. If he did the races would all revolve around Leopardstown with the Lexus at Christmas and the Hennessey after that – they are the races we have to run him in if we get him back to what he was. He looks well and everything is going alright at the minute.”
            Form
            WON - Lexus Chase (Grade 1) (3m), Leopardstown, 28 Dec 2010
            WON - Knight Frank Novice Chase (grade 1) (3m), Leopardstown, 28 Dec 2009
            WON - Bar One Racing Drinmore Novice Chase (Grade 1) (2m 4f), Fairyhouse, 2 Dec 2009
            Please Talk
            6-y-o; bay gelding
            Breeding: Beneficial (UK) - Fresh Partner (IRE)
            Form: 4/1-312P
            Point to point winner before victorious on heavy ground in maiden hurdle. Ended last season with a 127 rating. “Won a maiden hurdle at Punchestown and finished second at Limerick at Christmas when he just didn’t seem to get home over three-miles. We have always been looking forward to him going over fences and that is what he will do in about a month’s time.”
            Form
            PU - Irish Daily Mirror Novice Hurdle (Grade 1) (3m), Punchestown, 25 Apr 2012
            2nd - Dorans Pride Novice Hurdle (Grade 3) (3m), Limerick, 28 Dec 2011
            WON - 2012 Annual Membership Maiden Hurdle (2m 4f), Punchestown, 11 Dec 2011
            Prima Vista
            7-y-o; bay gelding
            Breeding: Singspiel (IRE) - Papering (IRE)
            Form: 172-1245
            Hit a high of 145 over hurdles and having beat Rathlin over hurdles he would appear an interesting recruit to fences. “Had a very bad season last year and he had a wind-op last summer 12-months and it didn’t seem to go right. I think he is in a much better frame of mind now and he’s going to start novice chasing. He certainly gets two and a half miles and he’ll start off in a week or so.”
            Form
            5th - Red Mills Trial Hurdle (grade 2) (2m), Gowran Park, 18 Feb 2012
            4th - Tara Hurdle (Grade 2) (2m 4f), Navan, 18 Dec 2011
            2nd - Cathal Ryan Memorial Champion Novice Hurdle (Grade 1) (2m 4f), Punchestown, 6 May 2011
            Protaras
            5-y-o; brown gelding
            Breeding: Lemon Drop Kid (USA) - Seven Moons (JPN)
            Form: P-735214
            114-rated hurdler after Navan maiden hurdle success and was a winner on his second start over fences when winning decent beginners at Gowran Park. “Has always worked very well at home although hasn’t always showed that on the track. Won a maiden hurdle at Navan and probably ran ok in novice hurdles. When we started schooling him over fences he was a totally different horse and just winged them and loved it. He may need goodish ground as he is an American bred. We’ll try him in a novice and see how we get on.”
            Form
            4th - Buck House Novice Chase (Grade 3) (2m 2f), Punchestown, 18 Oct 2012
            WON - Gowran Park Racing Club 2013 Beginners Chase (2m 2f), Gowran Park, 6 Oct 2012
            2nd - Eventus Beginners Chase (2m 6f), Galway, 12 Sep 2012
            Road To Riches
            5-y-o bay gelding
            Breeding: Gamut (IRE) - Over the River (FR)
            Won a point to point for Martin Cullinane on yielding to soft ground by eight lengths. “Won a point to point in Sligo last year by a long way. He looks like he’ll be a nice chaser in time and if all goes well we’ll start off in a bumper and I presume he’ll stay over hurdles this year.”
            Realt Dubh
            8-y-o; bay gelding
            Breeding: Beneficial (UK) - Suez Canal (FR)
            Form: 13/1252-0
            Three-time Grade 1 winner over fences who has had an injury stricken career recently. Now back to full health still young enough to make a mark. “The chances are he will start off in the Fortria Chase. Although I entered him in the JNWine.com Champion Chase at Down Royal, he probably will stay around two-mile to two and a half. He’ll stay in Ireland this side of Christmas and maybe the John Durkan is a race he could run in as well. We might try him over three-miles at some stage and Paul has always maintained that he would stay, yet on his form you’d say he wouldn’t. He had a very interrupted season last year and done well the year before. Maybe at Cheltenham you’d be thinking Ryanair but we’ll see how it develops.”
            Form
            18th - Ladbrokes.com Handicap Hurdle (Grade B) (2m 1f), Killarney, 13 May 2012
            2nd - Boylesports.com Champion Chase (Grade 1) (2m), Punchestown, 24 Apr 2012
            2nd - Ryanair Novice Chase (Grade 1) (2m), Punchestown, 5 May 2011
            Shannons Bray
            Unraced. “He is an unraced horse by Oscar and hopefully he’ll be a bumper horse for the winter time, he should go on soft ground and he’ll stay well.”
            Smithfield
            4-y-o; bay gelding
            Breeding: Cape Cross (IRE) - Daraliya (IRE)
            Form: 53
            Rated 74 on the flat, has ran well on two starts in maiden hurdles on good to soft ground. “He ran a good race in Gowran. He’s going to the sales in November but he’ll run before then and to be honest he is a pretty decent horse. He stays well and will win races.”
            Form
            3rd - Thomastown Maiden Hurdle (2m), Gowran Park, 5 Oct 2012
            14th - Curragh Amateur Derby (Q.R.) Handicap (50-85) (1m 4f), Curragh, 15 Sep 2012
            5th - Dale Farm Maiden Hurdle (2m), Down Royal, 31 Aug 2012
            Silverhand
            8-y-o; gelding
            Breeding: Lend A Hand (UK) - Karmisymixa (FR)
            Form: 964-4314
            Highly-rated hurdler who has been placed but yet to win in three chase starts. Winning form suggests a liking for quicker ground. “He is more of a summer horse I suppose. He’s just been struggling with fences and he is very small and for that reason he is probably not going to be as good as over fences as he was over hurdles. I suppose at some stage he will win his races over fences but at this stage you’d have to say he is more a hurdler. It wouldn’t be beyond the possibility that he’ll end up running in a good handicap hurdle at Cheltenham. He’s not a winter horse and I’d imagine he’d have a break now.”
            Form
            4th - Kells Beginners Chase (2m 4f), Navan, 29 Sep 2012
            WON - City Publicans Charity Hurdle (2m 4f), Galway, 12 Sep 2012
            3rd - Roscommonracecourse.ie Beginners Chase (2m), Roscommon, 21 May 2012
            Silver Tassie
            4-y-o; bay gelding
            Breeding: Shantou (USA) - Silver Castor (IRE)
            Finished third in bumper debut earlier in the month on good ground. “Was third in Gowran in a bumper last week and he wasn’t beat that far although the winner won well. There wasn’t much of a gallop and they ended up sprinting up the straight. He was very green and Nina thinks he will improve for the run. He’ll certainly come back out in a bumper again and you’d imagine he’d have a good chance of winning wherever he turns up."
            Form
            3rd - Mooncoin (Pro/Am) Flat Race (2m), Gowran Park, 6 Oct 2012
            Six Stone Ned
            6-y-o; gelding
            Breeding: Great Palm (USA) - Ashfield Rosie (IRE)
            Form: 2332-137
            116-rated novice hurdler who seems versatile ground wise. “Won in Ballinrobe and we ran him in Galway in a novice and he ran well. We fancied him in Clonmel but he ran very disappointing but I think two-mile was too short and I think you’ll see him better over two and a half mile plus.”
            Form
            7th - www.clonmelraces.ie Novice Hurdle (2m 100y), Clonmel, 30 Sep 2012
            3rd - Easyfix Rubber Products Novice Hurdle (2m 2f), Galway, 11 Sep 2012
            WON - Western People Maiden Hurdle (2m), Ballinrobe, 1 May 2012
            Slemishfirth
            5-y-o bay gelding
            Breeding: Flemensfirth (USA) - She's No Tourist (IRE)
            Pulled up and fell on only two point to point starts and may be a type better with time. “He is a nice horse and will start off in a bumper. He is owned by John Corr and had a few runs in point to points for them last year but he’s a big horse and I’d say he was just a bit backward. I’d imagine he’d come on for the runs.
            Sword Of Destiny
            6-y-o; gelding
            Breeding: Shantou (USA) - Sparkling Sword (UK)
            Form: 01-911
            Bumper winner on soft to heavy who was unbeaten in two starts over hurdles (yielding to soft and soft) in decent company. “Only had three runs last year and we think the world of him and he’ll start off in a beginners chase over two and a half miles. He’s been schooling well and I’m really looking forward to him. I think he is a very high class horse and hopefully everything will go right for him and if so, he’s a horse with a big future.”
            Form
            WON - Dial-a-bet 1800 721 821 E.B.F. Novice Hurdle (grade 3) (3m), Cork, 6 Nov 2011
            WON - Follow Punchestown On Facebook Maiden Hurdle (2m 4f), Punchestown, 12 Oct 2011
            9th - Russell Restaurant Flat Race (2m), Fairyhouse, 24 Apr 2011

Comment

Texas Jack
              6-y-o; bay gelding
              Breeding: Curtain Time (IRE) - Sailors Run (IRE)
              Form: 1146476
              Began career with three unbeaten efforts and earned a rating of 135 over hurdles by running decent races in good company. “He is a horse that started last season well but at the end of it just wasn’t finishing off his races for some reason. He is back now and the plan is to go over fences. He’s a pretty high class horse too when everything is right so I’d be hoping that he will make a nice novice.”
              Form
              6th - Cathal Ryan Memorial Champion Novice Hurdle (grade 1) (2m 4f), Punchestown, 27 Apr 2012
              7th - Coolmore National Hunt Sires Ask & Getaway Novice Hurdle (grade 2) (2m 4f), Fairyhouse, 8 Apr 2012
              4th - Paddypower.com Novice Hurdle (grade 2) (2m), Naas, 26 Feb 2012
              The Alarm Clock
              3-y-o; bay gelding
              Breeding: Golan (IRE) - Roisin's Star (IRE)
              Form: 036
              Maiden from three starts on the level over a mile and a quarter and a mile and a half. “Jumps well and he was placed in Galway on heavy ground but might be better over a mile and a quarter than a mile and a half on nicer ground. He will jump at some stage too.”
              Form
              6th - Oran Maiden (1m 2f), Roscommon, 15 Oct 2012
              3rd - Renmore Maiden (1m 4f), Galway, 10 Sep 2012
              11th - Group Discounts At Dundalk Maiden (1m 4f), Dundalk, 27 Aug 2012
              Thouva
              5-y-o; gelding
              Breeding: Ragmar (FR) - Lady Thou (FR)
              Form: 22137
              Had two runs for new connections last season and now looks set to go over hurdles. Won French bumper on good ground. “An ex-French horse, he won a bumper in France and although he never won a hurdle he may go straight over fences. He is a huge big horse. We may give him one run in a maiden hurdle but we’ll see – I think he is more of a chaser.”
              Form
              7th - I.T.B.A. Expo 2012 Maiden Hurdle (2m 4f), Leopardstown, 28 Jan 2012
              3rd - I.n.h. Stallion Owners E.B.F. Maiden Hurdle (2m), Punchestown, 14 Jan 2012
              Unnamed
              5-y-o
              Breeding: Dr Massini (IRE) - Anna Lane (GB)
              Unraced. “A Dr Massini five-year-old out of Anna Lane, he’s a nice horse and seems to be working reasonably well.”
              Westhaven
              4-y-o; bay gelding
              Breeding: Alhaarth (IRE) - Dashiba (UK)
              Form: 2922323
              Yet to win since joining from David Elsworth but placed seven times on varying ground. “Has been disappointing and was second four times. On the bare form he looks pretty ordinary but I still think he is better than that but I have yet to prove it.”
              Form
              3rd - Join The Party Raceday Maiden Hurdle (2m 2f 50y), Downpatrick, 26 Sep 2012
              2nd - Down District Council Maiden Hurdle (2m 2f 110y), Downpatrick, 4 Sep 2012
              3rd - Betpack (c & G) Maiden Hurdle (2m 3f), Kilbeggan, 11 Aug 2012

Comment

Hard to believe they have got Go Native back ....looked to have plenty of pace still on last run.

Comment

Hello people...I have a couple for you.

ANGE BLANC (4 gr g Keltos - Trasimene)
                  Form: 1- Trainer: Noel Meade Owner: Gigginstown House Stud

Out of a half sister to the yard's mercurial but very talented hurdler Harchibald, this gelding made his debut outing in a well-contested bumper at Punchestown (heavy) back in February, going off co-favourite of three at 7/2. He raced on the outer in the group behind the clear leaders, moving closer from half a mile out and arriving on the scene going strongly over two furlongs out, shaken up to lead over a furlong out and keeping on well for hand riding to run out a comfortable 2¾ length winner over Kauto Grand Mogol. He was subsequently purchased by Gigginstown House Stud following that victory, presumably for a tilt at something such as the Champion Bumper event back at Punchestown a couple of months later, but he wasn't to be seen again after that debut win for whatever reason (held entries). He is type to do better still in his second season anyway, and the race he won on debut has already produced a couple

COPS AND ROBBERS (4 ch g Pivotal - Threefold)
                  Form: 3- Trainer: Noel Meade Owner: Gigginstown House Stud

Flat-bred gelding who is a half brother to high-class middle distance stayers Hi Calypso and Warringah among others, and he only saw action three times for Sir Michael Stoute as a three-year-old, chasing home useful stayer Thimaar on his debut before (narrowly) winning his maiden next time. He ended his brief first season with a low-key performance on his handicap debut at Haydock over 14f, finishing sixth; however, that didn't deter current connections forking out 125,000gns for him, and he made his belated debut for them when contesting a 2m Grade 3 hurdle at Fairyhouse in April. He was waited with right at the back of the field, making good progress on the outer on the approach to the home straight, halting his challenge with a lackadaisical jump at the second last, still showing signs of inexperience under pressure (only his fourth career outing after all) but keeping on well from the last flight to take third behind Ballynacree (beaten 8¼ lengths). It was a commendable effort for various reasons, not least because it was his first run for over seven months, and to debut against more proven/experience rivals at Grade 3 level and still make the frame is hugely promising; still looked as though he wasn't fully clued up and once everything clicks, this good-looking son of Pivotal could take off in a big way in the novice hurdle division this season.

Comment

Noel Meade horses wouldn't get over hyped would they

Comment

Noel Meade opened the gates of his Tu Va Stables near Navan to the press this morning to launch the Christmas festival meeting at Leopardstown. The trainer gave a guided tour to the facilities at the yard as well as parading his star performers for the journalists in attendance. The Meath trainer has enjoyed a fine start to the season and has a strong legion of horses preparing for the Christmas period.

One of the big names due to return to action is Pandorama, who hasn't run since the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 2011, and has been pin-fired in the interim.

“He's back in work and hopefully he'll be ready to return in the Lexus at Leopardstown over Christmas,” said Meade.“He'll do a fast bit of work every week between now and then. The Lexus will be a big ask. He's a horse that is always going to need soft ground and because of that I'd say he'll stay in Ireland. Nina rode him schooling one day in Fairyhouse and I said to her afterwards 'you went fierce quick' and she said 'did I?'. It was the same when Paul rode him one day at Dundalk. He's such a powerful horse with a great stride and when you ride him you don't realise how quick you are going.”

Meade gave a run down on plans for some of the other notable performers due to turn out over the festive period.

Sword Of Destiny

“He had a tough race first time over fences at Punchestown and mentally he wasn't ready for the Drinmore and that's why we decided to go back to two miles at Navan the last day. He'll probably go for the three-mile Grade One Fort Leney Novice Chase at Leopardstown.”

Ipsos Du Berlais

“He was second to Lyreen Legend at Galway and that was probably a very good run. Hopefully he'll run at Navan on Saturday and then we'll look for something at Christmas. You couldn't go far enough for him.”

Il Fenomeno

“He won a Group 3 in Italy on the Flat. He's always been a horse that's inclined to knock himself out of line jumping and to pull muscles. He was very sore again after his chasing debut at Galway so we've decided to go back handicap hurdling at Leopardstown.”

Dylan Ross

“He's very talented at home and every time he's been beaten on the track it's been by a good horse. He's a brilliant jumper and has plenty of potential. He'll go for the Grade One Racing Post Novice Chase over 2m1f.”

Corbally Ghost

“He won a Grade 3 novice hurdle at Cork last year and just wasn't right after that. He's a very good jumper and will start off in a beginners chase over Christmas.”

Ally Cascade

“I think we made too much use of him when he got beaten by Jezki at Navan and we sort of set the race up for him. I was pleased with him at Thurles. He'll go for the Grade One Paddy Power Future Champions Novice Hurdle.”

Ned Buntline

“Normally I do a lot of schooling with my horses but we didn't do as much with him as with other horses as we were anxious to win a bumper. There are two things about the run at Fairyhouse the other day. He didn't jump as well as I'd like. He just wasn't fluent and didn't jump and go. The other was possibly the 2m2f could have been a factor. He's out of a Flat mare and by Refuse To Bend.”

Fickle Fortune

“She's entered in the Grade One Paddy Power Future Champions but is more likely to go for a maiden hurdle. To be honest it was a bit of a kick in the teeth when she got beaten at Navan. She's been very keen and we've been trying to get her to relax.”

Owen Mc

“To be honest I was disappointed on Saturday even though he won. He didn't find that much and on that run he wouldn't be good enough for the Champion Bumper. Maybe giving him a break is the right thing to do.”

Honourable Emperor

“He's a decent horse on the Flat – rated 95 and has schooled well. He has the potential to make a nice juvenile hurdler.”

Road To Riches

“He looked a real star on his hurdling debut at Punchestown and is an exciting prospect. We'll have to see where he fits in with the other Gigginstown horses. He's entered for the Grade One Navan Novice Hurdle (December 16th) but as far as I know Don Cossack is going there so he'll also be entered for the Grade Three three-mile race at Cork this Sunday.”

Meade also mentioned that Realt Dubh will go for the Paddy Power Dial-A-Bet Chase and Monksland could run in the Grade Two Christmas Hurdle over three miles.

Comment

Despite blundering badly at the last, Road To Riches recovered to land the odds and maintain his unbeaten record in the Grade 3 Cork Stayer Novice Hurdle over three miles.

The 2/5 favourite didn’t look entirely comfortable in second place to Dushrembrandt coming to the second last. A good jump there brought him level and back on the bridle.

However, he ploughed through the last with his nose hitting the turf. Paul Carberry managed to gather him together and he was back on the bridle passing the winning post to win by two and three parts of a length.

Trainer Noel Meade said: “Paul said he was a bit free early on and when he dropped him back he became almost too relaxed.

“It was a bit uncharacteristic to see him making a mistake. He got lit up beforehand when he was battling him.

“He did what we came here to do. He’s a a chaser in the making for next season and now we know he stays three miles.

“The Dorans Pride Hurdle at Limerick might be a possibility. There’s a race in Naas in January as well.”

Dushrembrandt, who had taken over the lead from Beachdale Lad on the home turn approaching three out, also made a mistake at the last with Phillip Enright doing well not to be unseated. He kept on for second at 16/1.

This was Road To Riches’ fourth win in-a-row (one point-to-point, one bumper and two hurdles).

Stan James cut him from 33/1 to 25/1 for the Neptune Investment Novices' Hurdle and from 20/1 to 16/1 for the Albert Bartlett at the Cheltenham Festival

Comment

MART novice Road To Riches maintained his unbeaten record over hurdles in comfortable fashion despite fluffing his lines over the final flight under a confident Paul Carberry.

The Noel Meade-trained five-year-old, bought for £155,000 by Gigginstown House Stud in May, made stealthy progress down the back straight and moved alongside leader Dushrembrandt on the approach towards the last.

But both horses crashed through top, leaving both jockeys momentarily unbalanced, before Carberry regained his momentum and eased his mount across to line to a fairly impressive victory.

The race, won by subsequent Grade 1 scorer Quel Esprit three years ago, looked at the mercy of Road To Riches beforehand and he delivered in the style his cramped odds suggested.

Meade said: "He nearly got too relaxed then, but he picked up well and he was just lucky he didn't come off when he did make the mistake.

"He did what he came down here to do and he's really a horse for next year. I wanted to run him in the Grade 1 at Navan next week, but the owners have got Don Cossack for that so it will be finding something for him over Christmas now. We know he stays three miles well."

Comment

‘Go Native and Iktitaf were two seriously bad days’

By Darren Norris

Thursday, December 20, 2012

The placement of the many framed pictures at Noel Meade’s home in Castletown, Co Meath is revealing.

The house is a shrine to the many great horses that have helped Meade become one of Ireland’s most successful trainers.

The hall boasts numerous pictures but one in splendid isolation stands out. It is to this picture Meade points instantly when asked for his favourite horse of those he has had in a career spanning over 40 years.

‘‘Harchibald mightn’t have necessarily been the best because I think Cardinal Hill there (Meade points at another picture) was the best horse we had,’’ he explains.

"Harchibald was such a character along with everything else and even though he should have, and maybe could have, won more he was the horse everybody was always talking about whether he won or lost.’’

The quirky Harchibald won five Grade 1 races in a stellar career but sadly it is one of the races he didn’t win that he’s most remembered for.

Harchibald looked to be travelling best when he jumped the last alongside Hardy Eustace and Brave Inca in the 2005 Champion Hurdle but was out-battled on the run to the finish and had to settle for second.

In his autobiography, Paul Carberry, Harchibald’s jockey that day, wrote candidly about the criticism he received from irate punters for his tactics and the impact the defeat had on Meade.

Reflecting on the day Meade recalled: ‘‘That was nearly like someone scoring the goal in the last kick of the game in an All-Ireland final to beat you. That was the difference in it. We thought we had the Champion Hurdle won and it just didn’t happen.

‘‘Was Paul right or wrong? I don’t know. I think if he had to run it again he might run it different. I didn’t blame him for what he did. He thought he done it right on the day and I still don’t (blame him).

‘‘If he hadn’t jumped the second last so well maybe... if, if, if, if... What happened happened and that’s it.

"You couldn’t be in front long with him and you needed to come with a sweeping run. He was alongside two of the worst horses you could be alongside because both of them were tough, hard battlers. You make a decision and as Paul always says, ‘I can’t change it now’.’’

The Champion Hurdle may have been a blow but Meade has had worse experiences, most recently last month when three-time Grade 1 winner Go Native, who had been patiently nursed back to fitness after a two-and-a-half year injury lay-off, died after breaking a hind leg while cantering on the gallops.

It wasn’t a new experience for Meade. He lost Cardinal Hill in 1999 and Iktitaf in 2007. Familiarity with the experience doesn’t make things any easier though and Go Native’s death was particularly cruel given he had looked close to being back to his best before falling when in hot pursuit of Hurricane Fly in the Morgiana Hurdle just days earlier.

‘‘Go Native and Iktitaf were two seriously bad days,’’ Meade says. ‘‘Go Native, the way it happened, he came back as good or better than he was and it was quite incredible to think that we could get him back and the next thing this could happen. He’d done all those things and deserved a bit of luck and the next thing: bang.’’

That he was able to get Go Native back to such a high level speaks volumes of Meade’s training abilities and offers hope that Pandorama, last seen in the 2011 Cheltenham Gold Cup, might again reach the heights he scaled in the past if, as is hoped, he returns to action in the Lexus Chase at Christmas.

‘‘I’m hopeful he’ll run,’’ Meade says. ‘‘I wouldn’t go so far as to say he’ll be ready to win but I’m hopeful he’ll run.’’

This week has highlighted the fragility of training horses with Paul Nicholls suffering the double blow of losing the brilliant Big Buck’s and Paddy Power Gold Cup winner Al Ferof to injury for the rest of the season.

Meade acknowledges successfully bringing horses back from injury is one of the toughest parts of his job.

‘‘Yes,’’ he sighs. ‘‘It’s not easy. So few of them do come back to where they were at.

"It’s difficult to get them back up to that. When they get injured they generally lose a percentage of their ability. It’s very hard to get them to peak up to that again.’’

The fallout of Budget 2013 has dominated the headlines in recent weeks and Meade admits the recession has bitten hard.

‘‘I’ve half the horses I had. We’re not getting the same amount of money as we were. Nothing is the same. But it’s the same for everybody else. We enjoy what we do and we enjoy what we’re at. Some days it’s hard and some days it’s good.’’

And with talented young horses like
                            Ally Cascade, Ned Buntline and Sword Of Destiny — the trio who Meade selects as the horses he’s most looking forward to at Leopardstown over Christmas
                            — along with the likes of Monksland and Road To Riches on his books, the best days for the trainer may be yet to come.

Comment

Working...
                            X