Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Hennessy Gold Cup 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hennessy Gold Cup 2012

Hendo ...

"Bobs Worth will probably start off in the Hennessy. I think that's the right race for him and he probably prefers going left-handed rather than right-handed," Henderson told At The Races.

Time for Rupert

Originally posted by Sprinter View Post
    Hendo ...

"Bobs Worth will probably start off in the Hennessy. I think that's the right race for him and he probably prefers going left-handed rather than right-handed," Henderson told At The Races.
    Would be Giving 3lbs to Time for Rupert ..

Webber thinks there are reasons to believe Time For Rupert can be an even more potent force on the staying scene when the jumps season really kicks into gear.

"Most of the jumpers have come back in now and they haven't all had a wonderful summer because of the wet weather, but Rupert looks tremendous," said Webber.

"He ran very well in the Gold Cup and hopefully he'll improve this season.

"I think last season was all about getting his confidence back and assuring him that he wasn't going to bleed after what happened in the RSA Chase the season before.

"He had a bit of a baptism of fire in last year's Betfair Chase at Haydock, although I don't think he was right that day as he was quiet beforehand and down at the start."

Time For Rupert started off last season by finishing second in the Charlie Hall Chase at Wetherby and could well return to West Yorkshire in October, for either the feature event or the John Smith's Hurdle.

"I hope he can improve again this season and he'll probably start off at Wetherby again, either in the Charlie Hall or he could run in the big three-mile hurdle race," said Webber.

"We could go for the hurdle race as that would allow us to protect his mark for the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury. We'll see."

Comment

Nicholls .....If "room status" is anything to go by Pacha Du Polder is the runner most likely to head the yard's new order of chasing luminaries. The five-year-old has the privilege of living in the box previously occupied by the imperious Denman and Strong Flow.

Those two won three Hennessy Gold Cups between them – and the Newbury classic on December 1 is the target for the new incumbent.

Nicholls said: "Pacha Du Polder won a novice chase at Warwick in January but then had a few problems in the spring as a lot of my horses did at the time.

"We left him out of Cheltenham and went to Ayr in April where he won the Grade Two Future Champions Novices' Chase by 14 lengths over two and a half miles which we consider a minimum for him now.

"He is a strong, scopy type who we think highly of – he goes for the Hennessy which could be his first run of the season."

Comment

Better trainer of hurdlers but good man for a plot

Gary Moore's Fruity O'Rooney has the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury in November as his first major aim of the new National Hunt season.

The nine-year-old went down narrowly at the Cheltenham Festival in March when reeled in by Alfie Sherrin in the JLT Specialty Handicap Chase and ran with credit in the Scottish Grand National.

He finished fifth at Ayr but Moore is of the belief he failed to see out the trip, which makes a crack at the Grand National at Aintree next year unlikely.

"He's going to run over two-mile-five at the first Cheltenham meeting later this month," said Moore.

"We might aim him at the Hennessy in the first half of the season, that would seem a likely target.

"I don't think he truly stayed in the Scottish National, that's my opinion. So because of that I don't think he'd be an Aintree horse, I wouldn't want to tear the guts out of him.

"I wouldn't rule it out completely, though."

Comment

Hidden Cyclone could make his first appearance of the season in the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury.

Trainer John Hanlon reports his exciting prospect to be in "savage" form ahead of a second campaign over fences. The seven-year-old had just two runs last term, making a winning chasing debut before finishing a close third to Sir Des Champs at Leopardstown in January.

Hanlon then put Hidden Cyclone away with the idea of bringing him back for an ambitious programme that he hopes will culminate in a crack at the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup.

"He's been back in for about six weeks doing bits of work and you'll probably see him at the end of October or November," said the County Carlow trainer.

"He's in savage form. He got very strong towards the end of last season and I'm very happy with him.

"We are playing it by ear and something like the Hennessy at Newbury (December 1) might be an aim for us. I would say we might go straight there.

"We won't be 100% for it, but we just want a nice run and hope he will be a Cheltenham horse in March. Hopefully everything goes to plan."

Comment

HOLD ON JULIO will go straight for the Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup at Newbury on November 30, following a pleasing comeback third at Cheltenham on Saturday, and with Long Run reportedly heading for the Betfair Chase at Haydock instead our fellow will hopefully get in the handicap proper.

Alan said:"I was delighted with both Hold on Julio and Medinas (runner-up in the handicap hurdle), and the horses are definitely starting to come to the boil.

"These were our first 'proper' runners of the season, so it was very pleasing. There is not really a race for Hold on Julio before Newbury, so we will keep him back for the Hennessy and hope that we get in with a nice handy weight..

"Medinas is a horse who likes his races spaced out, so we will wait a while before looking for his next assignment, but things are just starting to move up a gear and next week-end we will be pulling out several more of our big guns.

Comment

Hidden Cyclone doesnt go...

The County Carlow handler has opted for the Murray Spelman Poplar Square Chase over two miles as the starting point this campaign for the seven-year-old.

He had just two runs last term, making a winning chasing debut before finishing a close third to Sir Des Champs at Leopardstown in January.

Hanlon then put Hidden Cyclone away with the idea of bringing him back for an ambitious programme he hopes will culminate in a crack at the Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup.

He said: "It's great that he's back. He's in serious good form. I'm just a bit worried about the trip.

"He is a three-mile horse, but I wanted to get an opportunity to run him in a small field because his jumping hasn't been over good and a small field will help him to jump. There's just five runners and that's why we've gone down this road.

"I'm hoping he'll win, but if he gets beaten I won't be over shocked. It's his first run for nine months. He's doing everything right for me at home and I'm very happy.

"After that he'll go to Gowran for a two-and-a-half-mile race in about a month's time. We were going to go for the Hennessy at Newbury, but the owners don't want to go.

"This is a lovely opportunity for him to get his jumping act together and hopefully he'll do the job for us."

Comment

CHAMPION trainer Paul Nicholls is eyeing a crack at the Hennessy Gold Cup at Newbury on November 27 with Tidal Bay, who made a successful reappearance when beating Crack Away Jack in the Grade 2 John Smith's Hurdle at Wetherby on Saturday.
                The eleven-year-old looks almost certain to carry top-weight at Newbury, having been raised to a mark of 166 over fences following his 15-length win off 154 in April's bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown, but Nicholls believes the race will suit him well.
                He said: "He'll run in either the Hennessy or the Betfair and I'm quite keen on the Hennessy as I think three miles two around Newbury will suit him really well, especially if we keep getting all this rain."

Nicholls is less sure about where next to run Silviniaco Conti, Kauto Stone or Cristal Bonus, who were also successful on Saturday.

He added: "I haven't spoken yet to Jared [Sullivan] or Chris [Giles] about 'Conti' and it's pointless nominating a target for him or the others at present.

"Robin Geffen, who owns both the Down Royal winners [Kauto Stone and Cristal Bonu], leaves it up to me and is very good like that. They got back at 6.30 in the morning and travelled back fine, but Kauto Stone needs to be fresh, so I'm not going to rush him.

Comment

If Tidal bay or 166 runs then Bobs Worth will carry 6lbs less. Join Together was disappointing off 151 at the weekend ?..maybe pacha the plodder....said he needed further after old roan is the one. could have a nice weight. Got to have a good look at horses in mid 140s. Shakalakaboomboom & fruity orooney types ...
                  Last edited by Guest; 5 November 2012, 05:47 AM.

Comment

Last year novice on this page ....http://www.fatjockey.com/news-blogs/...rs-2011-12-112

Hold on Julio would be get in on 10 2 ?
                    Last edited by Guest; 5 November 2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X