Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Betfair Chase Haydock 2012

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betfair Chase Haydock 2012

GOLD Cup hero Imperial Commander yesterday took a significant step on the road to making a racing comeback, writes Jonathan Herbert.

He was brought in from a field to begin road work at Kevin and Eyssen Ross' Mount Top Stud just outside Belfast.
    The exercise is aimed at building up his fitness before he goes back into training with Nigel Twiston-Davies at his stable in Guiting Power.

Imperial Commander has been recuperating at Mount Top Stud, where he has spent summers throughout his career, since sustaining a season-ending tendon injury in September.

Ian Robinson, spokesman for owners Our Friends In The North, said the 2010 Gold Cup winner's chances of racing again looked bright.

"He looks fantastic and scans on the leg have come back clear twice," he said. "He's had a good long break and fingers crossed everything will go to plan.

"We'll take it step by step and get a lot of road work into him so the tendon is nice and strong.

"There's no reason why he won't race again because the leg has come back fine and everyone looking after him has done a fantastic job."

He said plans for Imperial Commander will become clearer after Richard Bevis, his regular work rider, puts him through his paces at Twiston-Davies' stable.

If Twiston-Davies and Bevis are happy with the 11-year-old, his first big target will be the Betfair Chase at Haydock on November 24, which he won in 2010.

Colin Tizzard has nominated the Betfair Chase at Haydock as an early-season target for his stable star Cue Card.

The six-year-old shot to prominence with an incredible performance in the 2010 Champion Bumper at Cheltenham and he has continued to impress over hurdles and fences for the past two seasons.

He was last seen chasing home the all-conquering Sprinter Sacre in the Arkle Trophy over two miles, but Tizzard can see his charge stepping up to staying trips this season, possibly tackling three miles for the first time on Merseyside on November 24.

"The plan with him is to start off at Kempton in a graduation chase and then we'll see where we go from there. I would say the Paddy Power Gold Cup is unlikely as he's rated 157 and carrying top-weight in a 20-runner handicap round Cheltenham doesn't really appeal to me," said Tizzard.

"I think we could step up to three miles at Haydock. Things might change in the next few weeks, but that's the way we're looking at the moment.

"He's a really athletic horse, he looks almost fit enough to run. I think we are going to end up going over three miles with him. There is huge prize-money on offer in those top races and this could be the season to have a go.

"If we go to Kempton and then Haydock, then we'll know where we are around Christmas time. We might have to come back in trip, we might not."

Another of Tizzard's leading lights is proven stayer Hey Big Spender, who won the Classic Chase at Warwick in January but missed the end of the season after suffering a setback.

"He had a small injury but he's been back in about three weeks and will hopefully be ready to run in the middle of December. He's rated 157 as well so we might have to run in conditions races later on, although he'll probably get an entry in the Welsh National," said Tizzard.

"He loves proper winter ground and is a proper stayer, so some of those big races in Ireland might be tempting. Then there is Grand National to consider later on, but the ground might have dried up by April, so we'll see."

Comment

Imperial Commander not going to make it ...

Comment

Co-owner Ian Robinson said Imperial Commander, who hasn't raced since being pulled up in the 2011 Gold Cup, still appeared to have an appetite for racing.

"We are very happy," he said.

"He worked alongside Ransom Note, so you'd expect him to have a blow after that.

"He's been off for 18 months, so it's case of getting him back in the habit.

"He's done plenty of work and a lot of swimming and this was something different for him.

"He seems to enjoy being a racehorse and that's what it is all about.

"He won't be asked to do anything he doesn't want to do at his age.

"He's lapping up the work and this is another step forward.

"He went round on the bridle and had a good old blow.

"We have a few weeks to the race yet and we're very happy.

"I've spoken to Nigel and he's very happy."

If Twiston-Davies is happy enough with him, Imperial Commander will make his comeback in the Betfair Chase at Haydock on November 24.

His rivals are set to include David Bridgwater's stable star The Giant Bolster, runner-up in this year's Gold Cup.

Robinson said Imperial Commander could have another racecourse gallop, which helps keep a horse fresh through a change of scenery, before the Betfair Chase.

Robinson said: "We've got a bit of time in hand yet.

"We're on target and that's all we really wanted to know."

Comment

Long Run, Grands Crus and Cue Card are three big names amongst 19 entries for the Betfair Chase at Haydock on November 24.

National Hunt - Antepost. Click here to bet.

Long Run: Second in the Betfair Chase last season
          Nicky Henderson's Long Run won the Cheltenham Gold Cup in 2011 but could only manage third in last season's renewal of the Blue Riband event, one place worse than when second to a revitalised Kauto Star in this race last year.

His regular rider Sam Waley-Chen said: "We are pleased with Long Run. He has developed into a big, strong racehorse which we are all very excited about. He seems to have had a good summer and looks great.

"I think you would have to say he didn't achieve the heights last season that he achieved the year before. You always set your aspirations by what you have done in the past, but in many ways you can't be disappointed about being beaten by arguably the greatest horse of all time.

"We were never out of the first three, having run in top-class company, and although we did not get the results we wanted, you can't be too disappointed either.

"It's very hard to tell the difference in a horse from one year to another until you get to the sharp end of a race. The results clearly stand for themselves in that he didn't run to the same mark as he did the year before but, in terms of how Long Run felt through his races, I thought his jumping was significantly better than the year before and he was much more mature.

"All these things bode well for the coming season. I think there is an incredibly exciting group of horses out there at the moment and every year a new star is born and everyone will be trying to lay claims for the title of Kauto Star's successor.

"All being well, Long Run will follow a similar plan to last season as you are a bit limited with options at this level. I can't wait to race ride him again - riding him in work is a pleasure and riding him in races is a real joy for me."

Nicholls' star has now been retired, however the trainer still has impressive Charlie Hall Chase winner Silviniaco Conti in the latest entry stage, along with stablemate Cristal Bonus, who impressed on the same day at Down Royal, the John Hales-owned Al Ferof, and the enigmatic Tidal Bay.

Meanwhile Henderson also has the impressive pair of Bobs Worth and Burton Port entered, whilst Albertas Run, another Trevor Hemmings-owned horse, could represent Jonjo O'Neill.

Colin Tizzard's ace Cue Card romped home in the Haldon Gold Cup this week and could head to Lancashire along with stablemate Cannington Brook.

David Pipe's stable star Grands Crus is also in the Haydock feature along with stablemate Dynaste. Nigel Twiston-Davies' Imperial Commander is set for a return to action, as are the beaten Charlie Hall trio of Wayward Prince, Weird Al and Midnight Chase.

Calgary Bay, now in the care of Mick Channon having moved from near neighbour Henrietta Knight, Evan Williams' Cappa Bleu and David Bridgwater's Gold Cup runner-up The Giant Bolster complete the 19 entries.

Comment

Imperial Commander on course for this

Comment

Best second season chaser going for this ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnno View Post
                Best second season chaser going for this ?
                Silvi Conti

Hard to back Long Run at the prices and based on last season.
                Big ask from Imperial Commander to come back to his best.
                Burton Port going to Hennessy.
                Giant Bolster under the radar.
                Tidal Bay could be a player but also for Hennessy ?

Comment

Long Run,
                  Imperial Commander,
                  Silviniaco Conti,
                  Weird Al,
                  Tidal Bay,
                  The Giant Bolster,
                  Midnight Chase,
                  Cannington Brook
                  and Wayward Prince

remain in Saturday's Grade 1 feature at Haydock.

Comment

Paddy Brennan ‏@PaddyBrennan22

Had my final sit on Imperial Commander this am before the Betfair Chase on Sat.I jumped 8 fences on him & he felt great. #goldcupwinner2010

Comment

Two gold cup winners but not same without kauto

Comment

I am with Nick Lucks horse to follow ..tipped up my Nic Dogett too...

Nine horses have stood their ground in Grade One Betfair Chase at Haydock, and with a £200,000 prize fund on offer, this is going to be a tough examination for whoever wins it.

The market is headed by last-year's runner-up Long Run, and Nicky Henderson has started the season with plenty of momentum, however the seven-year-old suffered defeat last year and I'm not entirely sure that this track plays to his strengths.

He seemed to be outpaced at a crucial time last season and the tight turns at Haydock could see the same thing happening once more, especially as he is unlikely to be fully tuned up for this reappearance given the long season ahead.

Race-fitness is a huge positive for Silviniaco Conti, and I actually think he's the horse who will go off favourite. His trainer Paul Nicholls won the race with a sharp and match-fit Kauto Star last season and this new young pretender really looks a horse going places.

He should handle the testing conditions and is a very exciting prospect, however this is a step up in grade and I don't think he's amazing value at around 11/4.

Instead, it's 10/1 chance THE GIANT BOLSTER who looks the pick of the prices at the five-day entry stage.

His trainer David Bridgwater specified this race as an early target last month and Bridgwater will be very keen to prove that his stable star's second-placed finish in the Cheltenham Gold Cup was no fluke.

He was sent off at 50/1 that day but showed great tenacity to rally turning for home and it was only another progressive horse who finished ahead of the seven-year-old, with Long Run back in third.

With another summer under his belt, and more improvement to come this year, the feeling is that he can play a major hand in this early season contest before heading to the King George.

Imperial Commander won this race in 2010 and Nigel Twiston-Davies' star is back for another crack after 617 days off the track. It's reasonable to assume that he'll be in good shape for this tough assignment, however this course can really sap energy and this looks a tricky task.

Comment

Imperial Commander has been ruled out of this weekend's Betfair Chase at Haydock after suffering a setback.

Twiston-Davies said: "He's suffered a small fracture of a splint bone in a hind leg unfortunately.

"It's nothing dramatic, but it means he won't be in full work for around six weeks. We can still do swimming with him and things like that. It's disappointing but these things happen.

"We'll see how we get on but the obvious race for him when he comes back is the race at Cheltenham in January (Argento Chase)."

Sky Bet now make Long Run their 5-4 favourite with Silviniaco Conti next best at 9-4, The Giant Bolster 6-1, Weird Al 7-1 and 10-1 bar those.

Comment

Brook's Betfair bid canned

Cannington Brook is likely to sidestep the Betfair Chase in favour of a handicap option on the same card at Haydock on Saturday.

Colin Tizzard's eight-year-old has won twice from two starts at the Merseyside track and was a creditable sixth on his seasonal reappearance in the United House Gold Cup at Ascot.

He is likely to be back in action this weekend, but unless the heavens open in the meantime he is set to contest the Better Prices On Betfair Mobile Handicap Chase instead of taking on the likes of Long Run and Silviniaco Conti in the Grade One feature.

"I think it's very likely he'll run in the handicap earlier in the day," said Tizzard.

"I don't think he'd run in the Betfair unless the ground came up really heavy and it was so bad the meeting was nearly off.

"I don't think it's going to be that bad, so he'll probably run in the other race.

Comment

Imperial Out , Cannington out ...does Tidal Bay go ? Last I have seen on it

Nicholls at start of Nov said: "He'll run in either the Hennessy or the Betfair and I'm quite keen on the Hennessy as I think three miles two around Newbury will suit him really well, especially if we keep getting all this rain."

Comment

Working...
                              X