Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Bumper

I know this is a ridiculously early stage to consider bumper contenders but I doubt we've seen a better bumper horse than Ravenhill Rd so far.

Brian Ellison's horse hacked up on debut at M Rasen and followed up with another second gear win under a penalty today and earns a 25/1 champion bumper quote.

Anything else seen a racecourse at this stage who may be a contender ?

Not to my eyes Ista but I don't think I would be near a good judge for this race... I always treat this as a bit of a fun race.... minimum stakes on multiple bullets without any real conviction. (One of the races that in the past I would browse this forum for inspiration!)

Some fantastic horses have been beaten in this race as everyone knows... I've been back and watched the two runs of Ravenshill Road and they're very impressive! I love that he looks around before 2f out and just extends. Looking forward to seeing the beaten horses come out since. Ballyandy last year was out this early so could argue it isn;t too early to have a look?

Changing angle slightly, I was talking to a mate about Champange Fever yesterday (after his return) and I'd forgotten about his bumper win... he had The New One, The Romford Pele, Jezki, Many Clouds, Royal Guardsman, Village Vic, Ifandbutwhynot all in behind... such a fantastic race! Plenty of big race winners in that lot!

Comment

I always look for a horse that made his rules debut before the Galway festival in this. The thinking being that connections resist the urge to go hurdling to have a crack at this, ive had some good success over the years. Ive a few other criteria as well that id need to see from the runs to show that they have the class required. So far from it being too early all the horses that ill back have already run, now im just trying to work out which ones!!!

On my short list at the moment are (not heard if any of them are staying in bumpers though)

Glens Harmony
      Machiato
      Poetic Rhythm (ran in a PTP bumper at Aintree in May, but the principle is still the same, i feel)
      Western Ryder
      Last edited by billymag; 26 November 2016, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Ravenshiil Rd likely to go over hurdles now

Comment

Glens harmony has been at the head of the market for the bumper all summer and runs in the last at navan today..

Comment

kevloaf - take a look at his Supreme win too, strongest renewal of the race I can remember.

The strong trend for the bumper is a horse who has won in a big field race, so I'll be looking closely at the 14+ runner bumpers...

Comment

If anyone was thinking of backing Getabird for this then now would be the time hes 20/1 with Betway, this will however be the toughest bumper of the season and if he was to win id imagine he will be as short as 6/1. No guarantees though that he will win, as i say the opposition look very decent, looks without doubt the strongest bumper since the Punchestown festival.

Comment

I agree billy looks a very good race, if something wins this we'll be a massive market shake up

Comment

Is that the horse that went for £200k after winning a PTP when he was beaten but the leader tipped up at last ?
                  I remember reading that the sales figure shocked everyone....

Comment

Yeh it is. Disappointed with myself for not having a little nibble when billy said to!

Is 8 a decent price even now?

Comment

Won well, very well.
                      I couldn't make a case for 8s now, most years they are 6/1 the field a week before the race so I'd be inclined to wait until I'd seen all runners and target was confirmed

Comment

Came on here to post how impressive Getabird was and then saw billys post Great shout at 20's

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                          Won well, very well.
                          I couldn't make a case for 8s now, most years they are 6/1 the field a week before the race so I'd be inclined to wait until I'd seen all runners and target was confirmed
                          Good point. I was getting a bit ahead of myself.

What previous winners of this race that Getabird won today do we have? Anything of note?
                          Last edited by Kevloaf; 4 December 2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

We all know Mullins likes to target the champion bumper, although he hasn't won it in the last few years he always throws lots of darts at it, and his runners usually end up being very good novice hurdlers.. Carter McKay received a lot of mentions in a lot of write ups post season.. He could be intersting

Comment

That race throws up some decent horses but not always top class bumpers, the likes of Identity Thief, Outlander and Value at Risk have won the race previously.

Comment

Working...
                              X