Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2017 Stayers Hurdle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Stayers Hurdle

thought this was an interesting pointer ..Nicols Canyon isnt good enough at 2 miles so might as well give it a go ?
    Willie Mullins is considering sending Nichols Canyon and Shaneshill to America for the Calvin Houghland Iroquois Hurdle at Iroquois racecourse in Nashville, Tennessee, on 14 May.

The race is part of the Brown Advisory Iroquois Cheltenham Challenge which involves the Ryanair World Hurdle and the Calvin Houghland Iroquois Hurdle.

If any horse can win both Grade Ones within 12 months connections would earn a $500,000 bonus.

Both races are run over three miles, which would represent a step-up in trip for Nichols Canyon.

There are ten entries for the American race, including Mullins' two inmates, both owned by Graham Wylie.

"I have Nichols Canyon and Shaneshill both nominated for the Houghland Iroquois Hurdle Stakes," he said.

"I am not familiar yet with what else is in the race and there a few other things I have to check out, but both horses are well and could potentially go out to the USA.

Both horses placed at the Cheltenham and Aintree festivals, with Nichols Canyon avoiding the season-ending Punchestown festival.

Shaneshill ran in the Champion Stayers Hurdle at Punchestown, also run over three miles, but fell at the final flight.

As a result, the US trip may come a bit soon, with Mullins saying "at the moment, probably Nichols Canyon is the horse we would hope to get out there, if not the two of them.

"I think we need to internationalise jumps racing and so I am happy to support the Brown Advisory Iroquois Cheltenham Challenge."

While America remains unconquered by Mullins to date, he won Japan’s Grand Nakayama Jump with Blackstairmountain in 2013.

The Closutton stable has had some success Stateside however – Paddy Mullins', Willie’s father, won the Dueling Grounds International Hurdle in Kentucky with Grabel in 1990.
    Last edited by Old Vic; 21 January 2017, 03:16 PM.

Out of all the ante post markets the world hurdle looks the worst to find value, every runner has some kind of negative ie target, code or fitness.. Can't see the market changing at all until Xmas

Comment

Originally posted by cwright23 View Post
      Out of all the ante post markets the world hurdle looks the worst to find value, every runner has some kind of negative ie target, code or fitness.. Can't see the market changing at all until Xmas
      Yeah I can see that, though strangely the only AP bet I'm considering is Thistlecrack for the Stayers.
      They won't be sending him over fences to win an RSA, it's Gold Cup or back to hurdles, the horse could run in 4 or 5 chases but if there's a niggling doubt about his chances of winning the big one they'll shove him back over timber and for that reason I think the 3/1 might be value.
      Had there been no mention of a chasing campaign what price would he be now for the Stayers, 7/4 ?
      I think there's more than a small chance he could be back to defend the crown he won so impressively....

Comment

The Tizzards had a great year last year but not sure id trust them to back it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Morning Glory View Post
          The Tizzards had a great year last year but not sure id trust them to back it up.
          I heard an interview a while back about Tizzard criticising the approach most take which is to buy a ready made racehorse from France and expect to win big races immediately, I think he called it premier league owners mentality.
          He buys raw PTP horses or unraced NH bred types at 3 or 4 acknowledging it will be 2 years or more before the potential is realised.
          On that basis I'm inclined to think that Cue Card could have another year at the top as can Thirslecrack, and he seemed to have a few decent youngsters too, I take the point but I wouldn't be shocked if he did OK.....

Comment

I thinking splitting the cows and horses might have helped the Tizzards. Seem more professional now. Joe has been in the top yards and seems a canny lad. Not that his old man doesnt know the time of day ...

Comment

Shanehill at 16/1 would make some appeal. Wylie loves it and Shaneshill beat Nichols Canyon in that US race when he was not as likely to take part. Saw it out better? These really are not great odds though are they.

Rawnaq at 33's? Surely guarenteed to run for the bonus? Beat them both... Someone shoot me down on that idea before I go steaming in?

Comment

Can't shoot you down mate. Remember backing Rawnaq in the plate a couple of years ago and he ran a screamer. 33/1 is big, considering he is surely heading there

Comment

Yeh I was on too! Just checked my records, I was on each way, Rawnaq (3rd) and Attaglace (11th) ... although my records don't tell me why I was on

Well, 2 votes so far, one more and we can get make it a forum punt, move that market haha

Comment

Good spot lads. Was third in a greatwood too.

Comment

There we go, 3 is a crowd, all-in! I've convinced myself that is a great bet. I hope Thistlecrack doesn't touch a twig on his chase debut or this is all going to be pointless.

Comment

Has anyone heard how Jezki is, if he's come back as good as ever must be a cracking bet for this.

Comment

Nichols Canyon now looks the shortest price at 10/1 for this race that has it as an actual definite target. If one of the 3 in pink above it go for it, that'll change... nothing putting me off Shanehill or Rawnaq though with that being the case!

Comment

I wouldn't say the world hurdle is Nichols canyon definite target come the fes, especially if shaneshill confirms his superiority at the distance over him as the wylies won't have them both targeted at the same race, it's a hard one to know as shaneshill ran well to finish 2nd in the rsa chase showing that he definitely has stamina for 3 miles, which I do think Nichols canyon has to prove still, it will come down to wether shaneshill reverts back to chasing this season after interestingly ending the season with 3 good hurdle runs, clear 2nd behind thistlecrack at aintree, believe he was well in contention when falling at punchestown and was ahead of Nichols canyon when 2nd in America

Comment

Nothing else for Nichols Canyon to go at though. As I said, I prefer Shaneshill for this race but (as you said) he might revert to chasing.

How far down the list is it until we know a 100% confirmed runner? Very interesting market!

Comment

Working...
                              X