Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

What's everyone looking forward to most about the 2016 festival

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's everyone looking forward to most about the 2016 festival

Personally it's hard to say one thing in particular but seeing what Coneygree would be capable of this year coyld be the start of a special career and a place in racing history if he could triumph in the gold cup again, looks to be a field deep in talent and form this year

For me:

The new stand - with all building work finished we'll have a 21st century racecourse with facilities to match.
    The Gold Cup - Coneygree, Don Poli, Vatour, Don Cossack maybe, if they all stay healthy could be a great renewal.
    Faugheen - are we about to see an Istabraq in the making ?
    World Hurdle - next year has to be a better renewal, the race deserves a better winner than Cole Harden !
    The new mares race - the impact this has on the current mares hurdle
    5th day ? - will it be announced during next years festival ?
    Laughing at all the 'new account' offers from the bookies then have your account closed by Aintree !

Comment

I always look forward to the Tuesday of any Cheltenham festival most. Everyone has pockets full of cash, we all have our dreams intact and there is a buzz that no other sporting event can match.

What's the chances of Mullins dominating the Tuesday again? Min, Douvan, Faugheen and Annie Power.......i wouldn't be betting against it.

Personally, I hate the idea of a 5 day festival. 4 days of 7 races is perfect!

Comment

The idea of a 5 day festival crops up every year, i think it would ruin it to, we love Cheltenham because it's Cheltenham, it's 4 days of the best junps racing for the entire year and it's the best horses coming together in the same races, more races would mean more horses and weaker fields, say they added a 2m 4f champion hurdle then all the nearly horses in the 2m would go the the 2m 4f to avoid Faugheen as they know he's the out and out favourite meaning Faugheen dominating a weaker field which wouldn't really prove much, leave it as it is i say, 4 days is perfect, do like addition of the mares novice hurdle though I must say

Comment

I don't know if you're old enough to remember the 3 day festival, I and just about every pundit thought extending to 4 days would ruin things but all that's happened is that the marketing team went into overdrive and what we have now is a 4 day monster.
          When, not if, they go to 5 days I expect them to find 2 more races and then revert to 6 races per day, which would maximise commercial opportunities and minimise impact to other races.
          I believe they'll keep the Gold Cup on Friday (when it moved from Thursday it caused uproar, but now ?) and move either the World Hurdle or Ryanair to be feature race on Sat.
          We may not want it but it will happen and 5-10 years after they introduce it everyone will say what a wonderful festival we have.....

One further thing from next years festival, I hope there's a breakthrough trainer who records a maiden festival win, I love a rags to riches story and would hate it if Mullins, Hendo, Jonjo and Nichols bagged all 28.....

Comment

Unfortunately I don't remember the 3 day festivals, it is true what you say it will be changed to a 5 day festival, theres far too much talk about it, some feel that it kind of is already with the meeting that still takes place on the Saturday, what would happen to that meet? I imagine it would be a success but how many more punters it would attract who knows, would it be the same amount of people but split up more over the 5 days or would t bring fresh blood to the scene giving an opportunity to those who cant get time of work to come to a festival day on the weekend

Comment

I remember the 3 day festivals.....just.

My problem is where will they stop. In 15 years time we may be talking about the six day festival. For me the Cheltenham festival is about the best horses taking on the that best horses. We already have so many options that trainers, at times, run their horses in the wrong race to avoid another.

Comment

Originally posted by Faugheen_Machine View Post
                I remember the 3 day festivals.....just.

My problem is where will they stop. In 15 years time we may be talking about the six day festival. For me the Cheltenham festival is about the best horses taking on the that best horses. We already have so many options that trainers, at times, run their horses in the wrong race to avoid another.
                This has been happening for a few years FM and the best horses can easily avoid each other now given the options on offer over 28 races instead of the previous 18.
                Mullins is the worlds worst, he makes sure his avoid each other to appease owners....

gjt - the real loser with a 5 day festival would be Uttoxeter who always benefit from the strays leaving Cheltenham with a few quid in their pocket, the Midlands National day is always a packed house, unless they move to a Sunday?

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                  This has been happening for a few years FM and the best horses can easily avoid each other now given the options on offer over 28 races instead of the previous 18.
                  Mullins is the worlds worst, he makes sure his avoid each other to appease owners....

gjt - the real loser with a 5 day festival would be Uttoxeter who always benefit from the strays leaving Cheltenham with a few quid in their pocket, the Midlands National day is always a packed house, unless they move to a Sunday?
                  Going to be a big push for more sundays (and thursdays) under rust so could do that. 5 days is certain.

Comment

Working...
                  X