Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

2016 RSA Chase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 RSA Chase

Last year was an exceptional year for staying novices and more than a few interesting ones for 2016.

Thistlecrack
    Martello Tower
    More of that
    beat that
    The usual Gigginstown crew

Any thoughts ?
    Last edited by Old Vic; 4 September 2015, 07:21 AM.

heres an intresting horse that could be a serious horse for the RSA.

3. AUX PTITS SOINS (5 gr g Saints Des Saints – Reflexion Faite)

Form: 1/311- Trainer: Paul Nicholls Owner: John Hales

Dual winner in France whose sole outing for current connections to date came in the Coral Cup (2m 5f) at Cheltenham in March (9/1 chance), landing awkwardly after the second flight and fluffing the third last but otherwise travelling powerfully close up, staying on strongly on the flat to score by a neck from Zabana. He was clearly very well treated off a mark of 139, but for such a lightly-raced sort to win a race as competitive as the Coral Cup is hugely commendable, making a couple of jumping errors but travelling much the best and finding plenty for pressure to prevail. He will be a very exciting addition to the novice chasing ranks this term, and absolutely no surprise to see him quickly show himself to be a serious contender for the RSA Chase.

Comment

Originally posted by bitchy View Post
      heres an intresting horse that could be a serious horse for the RSA.

3. AUX PTITS SOINS (5 gr g Saints Des Saints – Reflexion Faite)

Form: 1/311- Trainer: Paul Nicholls Owner: John Hales

Dual winner in France whose sole outing for current connections to date came in the Coral Cup (2m 5f) at Cheltenham in March (9/1 chance), landing awkwardly after the second flight and fluffing the third last but otherwise travelling powerfully close up, staying on strongly on the flat to score by a neck from Zabana. He was clearly very well treated off a mark of 139, but for such a lightly-raced sort to win a race as competitive as the Coral Cup is hugely commendable, making a couple of jumping errors but travelling much the best and finding plenty for pressure to prevail. He will be a very exciting addition to the novice chasing ranks this term, and absolutely no surprise to see him quickly show himself to be a serious contender for the RSA Chase.
      There was alot of whispers flying around before Cheltenham as to how good this horse was, I got told at the preview evening Monday before the festival that Nicholls was shocked he was given the weight he was for the Coral Cup, he fully expected the horse to have an extra 10-12lb - can't remember the fully story but I think he beat a horse on the flat in France and that horse was given a NH rating of a stone higher that APS.

That said, and this is coming from someone who had a serious interest in the race, I really wasn't impressed with his jumping in the Coral Cup, he was almost giving up half a length at each flight and having to work to get back on terms so unless Nicholls can work wonders I would question the horses ability to jump the bigger obstacles.
      A good judge I know thought the horse looked to be inconvenienced by the undulating course, possibility I guess.
      The horse is a serious one but has very little NH racing under his belt and although Don Poli blew the trend, 6yo have a poor record in the race and (Star de Mohaison aside when as a 5yo received a chunk of weight) you have to go back 16 renewals to find the last 6yo winner (Florida Pearl), I think I'd like to see him jump a few fences and tackle 3m+ before I get carried away about his RSA chances......

Comment

If more of that takes to chasing and retains his ability I don't think any of them will be at his level.

Comment

Aux Ptit Soins is another to be considered for sure. Nicholls handling of chasers is superior to all others and I'd be surprised if jumping issue not resolved (unless he us the new Big Bucks).

Comment

An impressive debut over fences by No More Heroes today. He made a great shape at his fences and was clever enough when he got in close. He couldn't have done much more, over a trip which is much shorter than ideal.

Having said all that, I can't believe he is top price 8/1 for the RSA. This division looks to have plenty of depth this season and I'm far from sure that spring ground will suit NMH.

Comment

Agree with that FM, there will be plenty whose target is the RSA but will end up in the Arkle or JLT/Jewson whatever it's called.
              I has a scour down to the bottom of those quoted and found horse I loved a few years ago, Monksland.
              He had 2 years off the track through injury but came back and was competitive last year though found the World hurdle a step too far on just his third start of the season, I see he is declared to run in a beginners chase at Down Royal on Friday.
              Whether anyone is keen to back a 9yo in the RSA is debatable but this one isn't an ordinary 9yo having spent 2 years out, far fewer miles on the clock.

Vyta Du Roc is one I'll be keeping a very close eye on this season, would've gone very close in the Neptune but for a horror mistake at the last, if taking to birch he could be a force....

Comment

Is VDR definitely going over fences? I had him marked down as a possible world hurdle horse but he should make a cracking chaser.

Comment

FM - I'm sure I saw an interview at the back end of last season with Hendo and he said the horse would be chasing this year.

I also read today that Whisper would be staying over hurdles....

Comment

Cheers Ista. Another one to add to the mix.

Comment

Not sure if minella rocco is for the 4 miler or 140 novice handicap after today. Looked a slow boat and a bit slow over fences to me

Comment

Yeah the old RSA/4 miler debate.
                        I don't remember there ever being a debate before the festival expanded, you either had an RSA horse who you thought would go on to be a gold cup horse or you had an out and out stayer who was too slow to get near the best and would probably find a National trip on the sharp side....

Comment

Jonjo horses a bit in and out ? Makes more of that performance all the more impressive.

Comment

Vyta Du Roc declared Saturday, 12.40 seasonal debut in the 2m 5f novice chase, if they all go it looks a hot race with the likes More of That also declared....

Comment

Originally posted by Istabraq View Post
                              Vyta Du Roc declared Saturday, 12.40 seasonal debut in the 2m 5f novice chase, if they all go it looks a hot race with the likes More of That also declared....
                              Plenty of interest this weekend. Minella Rocco out again tomorrow - looks backable at 4s.

Comment

Working...
                              X