Announcement

Collapse

Fat Jockey Patrons

Fat Jockey is a horse racing community focused on all the big races in the UK and Ireland. We don't charge users but if you have found the site useful then any support towards the running costs is appreciated.
Become a Patron!

You can also make a one-off donation here:
See more
See less

Cheltenham Friday Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheltenham Friday Thread

Yankee Discussion first then general Friday discussion

Race Thread Links

Mr McGoldrick will consider your suggestions.
    Last edited by Old Vic; 7 March 2015, 03:31 PM.

Day 4 suggestion.

Race: Albert Bartlett
    Selection: Thomas Brown
    Odds: 16/1 (23/02/15)

FJ Spotlight:
    I have always fancied this horse over 3m. I am sure the trainer has been running him over shorter and faster trips to get him jumping better, Fry knows he stays the distance and is a cunning trainer. How he recovered after a big blunder 3 out to snatch 2nd behind Out Sam giving them all weight impressed me. He then followed up with a win beating Robinsfirth at a shorter trip (Zeroshadesofgrey 8L 3rd) while coming off the bridle very early, which proves he stays and needs the extra half mile. TB is a horse that has slipped under the radar and should be bang there if putting in a clean round of jumping. Still available @16/1.
    Last edited by loveracing; 23 February 2015, 11:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
      Day 4 suggestion.

Selection: Thomas Brown
      Odds: 16/1 (23/02/15)

FJ Spotlight:
      I have always fancied this horse over 3m. I am sure the trainer has been running him over shorter and faster trips to get him jumping better, Fry knows he stays the distance and is a cunning trainer. How he recovered after a big blunder 3 out to snatch 2nd behind Out Sam giving them all weight impressed me. He then followed up with a win beating Robinsfirth at a shorter trip (Zeroshadesofgrey 8L 3rd) while coming off the bridle very early, which proves he stays and needs the extra half mile. TB is a horse that has slipped under the radar and should be bang there if putting in a clean round of jumping. Still available @16/1.
      Good case made there LR, must say I don't know a great deal about TB, other than the above

Comment

Triumph - Beltor @ 8/1
        Albert Bartlett - No More Heroes @ 9/1
        Gold Cup - Road To Riches @ 9/1
        Foxhunters - Salsify @ 8/1

That performance from Beltor on Saturday was electric. I accept that the recency of the performance makes it more memorable, but it's already causing a stir at the preview evenings and connections think it will be better with a stronger gallop. They tend to go a million miles per hour in the Triumph and Beltor could be another Our Conor-type winner. Priced at 16s after Saturday's win, had already collapsed to 12s in the time it took me to login to PP.

No More Heroes carries strong claims into the Albert Bartlett having beaten Shaneshill in December over 2m4f. Last time out he made a mistake in the Grade 2 behind Outlander and Windsor Park, but that 5th place doesn't look terrible at the weights and those horses have alternative festival targets. Good ground would be a concern, but Gordon Elliott claims that the horse will be better for 3m and scoped badly last time. 9/1 seems about right and this renewal doesn't look the strongest.

In an open renewal, Road To Riches can pick up the pieces and may even lay down a marker as the best staying chaser in GB & Ire. Silviniaco Conti has the usual Cheltenham questions to answer and hasn't performed at all in the spring. If the ground is good it takes Many Clouds out of the equation and Coneygree already won't run without cut in the ground. The Lexus form is strong enough, franked by Carlingford Lough winning the Hennessy soon after. Price looks a touch generous at 9/1.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
          Good case made there LR, must say I don't know a great deal about TB, other than the above
          Tanya seems to think the same, i.e. under the radar. ...

Comment

Originally posted by loveracing View Post
            Tanya seems to think the same, i.e. under the radar. ...

Well what can I say, I enjoyed that LR, short and to the point, thanks for that. Nap of the meeting for Tanya then this Thomas Brown, sounds like a more than reasonable inclusion into the yankee to me at a good price, they don't like Sprinter for the QM do they.
            Anyway not many seem to want to get involved at the mo with the yankee so that should narrow down the selection process, I'd have thought it would be quite popular, it's a nice distraction on the run-up and something to share during.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMcGoldrick View Post
              Well what can I say, I enjoyed that LR, short and to the point, thanks for that. Nap of the meeting for Tanya then this Thomas Brown, sounds like a more than reasonable inclusion into the yankee to me at a good price, they don't like Sprinter for the QM do they.
              Anyway not many seem to want to get involved at the mo with the yankee so that should narrow down the selection process, I'd have thought it would be quite popular, it's a nice distraction on the run-up and something to share during.
              I feel the same way MG. I thought everyone here would want to contribute and all try to win some money together no?

Come on guys, lets beat Pricewise!!!

The FJ Yankee team is like Man Utd of acca's at the mo where no one is playing, we need a team game more like Barca. (I was going to mention another English team but want to motivate and not upset anyone).
              Last edited by loveracing; 25 February 2015, 05:03 PM.

Comment

Selection: Caracci Apache
                Odds: 14/1

Same race as LR but a different runner for me. No secret I am very sweet on his chances, yet he seems to of been over looked by most analysing the AB market. He's unbeaten in 3 starts this term and progressing rapidly. His last outing was a victory in a grade 2 over 3m at Doncaster, showing a great attitude to battle all the way to the line after initially getting outpaced, beating Blacklion and Zeroshadesofgrey in a slowly run race that wouldn't of played to his strengths. A son of High Chaparral, he is slightly quirky but all about stamina, better ground should suit and he will relish the stiff finish up the hill. If in the mix when turning in he will be a danger to all and my nod for Friday

Comment

Cool mc cavity in the county my suggestion.

Comment

Got to agree with the Thomas Brown each way suggestion. Course form terrific, quiet confidence from stable with plenty of others getting more attention, those going NRNB have it much shorter than 16-1.

Comment

Originally posted by Karanja Kid View Post
                      Got to agree with the Thomas Brown each way suggestion. Course form terrific, quiet confidence from stable with plenty of others getting more attention, those going NRNB have it much shorter than 16-1.
                      Thanks KK. I do also agree with Lessey and CA because he was also a fancy of mine, but it was CA form over Zeroshades that made me lean towards TB. The more I study TB the more confident I am with him as long as he puts in a clean round of jumping.

Comment

Holywell. It would be madness not back this horse in my opinion given his spring record. Smashed Ma Filleule, Don Cossack and Many Clouds at last seasons festivals and look where they are in the lists for this seasons Cheltenham races, combine this with the record of second season chasers in the Gold Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Mytentoryours View Post
                          Holywell. It would be madness not back this horse in my opinion given his spring record. Smashed Ma Filleule, Don Cossack and Many Clouds at last seasons festivals and look where they are in the lists for this seasons Cheltenham races, combine this with the record of second season chasers in the Gold Cup.
                          The way they were talking at Bangor could AP still be on Holywell ?

Comment

Originally posted by mayo View Post
                            The way they were talking at Bangor could AP still be on Holywell ?
                            I think McClernon was confirmed earlier today for Holywell. Barring injury for Carlingford I don't think things will change.

Comment

Looking like 2 contenders for the Friday at the mo
                              Holywell and Thomas Brown

Comment

Working...
                              X